Intellivision Amico announced, boldly claims that it'll have better 2D graphics than the PS4 or XB1

amico_02.jpg

amico_05.jpg amico_06.jpg

Earlier this year, we were teased at the existence of an upcoming Intellivision-based retro throwback system, and five months later, more information about the curious piece of hardware have been unveiled. This system now sports the name of the Intellivision Amico, with a few notable features and details. Firstly, the Amico will retail anywhere in the range of $149 to $179 dollars, when it launches two years from now, in 2020. A bold claim also states that the power within the system will offer "the most advanced 2D sprite-based graphics the world has ever seen", also putting above what either the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, or according to them, a 'PlayStation 5' could ever reasonably output in terms of 2D visuals. Games for the system are set to have prices from $3 to $8 apiece, with the available titles only being 2D-based games and capped at most at an E10+ rating due to the heavy "family focus" the system has. Its controllers are small, with a touchscreen built into them, while the system itself will have WiFi features, as well as an HDMI port. Games both old and new will be coming to the Amico, and will have updated visuals, multiplayer, and achievements. Development kits are due out in Summer 2019.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, I'm glad Intellivision will finally bring about revolution with its amazing pixel art games that'll totally have better graphics than the PS5 will. Sony fans are quaking in their boots.

Thinking realistically, I'm sure this'll be a neat little addition to the NES Classics and Super NTs already out there, but they seem to be trying too hard to oversell on this little product.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
At first I thought it said 'better 3D graphics'.

Makes me wonder what games they'll have to justify that claim and to entice sales for what feels like a niche product, particularly at that price and with the age restriction.

So far it doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I haven't looked on the controller before. What can you do with a touchpad and one button today?

I suspect the round button in the d pad and they'll use the touch screen for everything else.

The controller alone makes it a poor console in my book.

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
With that claim, they probably meant 2D graphics with a lot of details. Something that technically wasn't that much explored, as indie devs will usually play with big sprite tiles. Take Stardew Valley, for example. A beautiful game but you just know that it could have been better.

The current gen consoles have been out for enough time to draw conclusions about the state of 2D sprites in the gaming industry and I agree with them. Let's hope that they can actually deliver. I feel like developers have gone the extra mile with 3D models improvements but have never touched 2D games' graphics complexity with that same passion again. But that's not up to Intellivision, rather to the developers that will choose to develop on this system. What's stopping from developers to simply put the same portings on their console?

If the project won't be canceled, it will be interesting.

D

Deleted User

True. But we're not talking about mobile games. And except for that, smartphones have a display with touch capabilities, not a touchpad.
literally the same thing, just one displays something at the same time

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
With that claim, they probably meant 2D graphics with a lot of details. Something that technically wasn't that much explored, as indie devs will usually play with big sprite tiles. Take Stardew Valley, for example. A beautiful game but you just know that it could have been better.

The current gen consoles have been out for enough time to draw conclusions about the state of 2D sprites in the gaming industry and I agree with them. Let's hope that they can actually deliver. I feel like developers have gone the extra mile with 3D models improvements but have never touched 2D games' graphics complexity with that same passion again. But that's not up to Intellivision, rather to the developers that will choose to develop on this system. What's stopping from developers to simply put the same portings on their console?

If the project won't be canceled, it will be interesting.
That's almost always a software thing though, not hardware. I have absolutely no idea what they mean with that graphics comment.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I haven't looked on the controller before. What can you do with a touchpad and one button today?

It isn't, the round bit is a 16 direction d-pad, and the touch pad might well be one, but originally it was a phone style number pad, where you would slide an overlay in that showed what the buttons do.

There are no limitations in 2D graphics

Hardware-wise yes there are. A textured polygon is not the same as 2d hardware.

Last edited by spinal_cord,
Reactions: tiliarou and tbb043
D

Deleted User

I was thinking of learning to make a 2d platformer, perhaps I should make one for this.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It isn't, the round bit is a 16 direction d-pad, and the touch pad might well be one, but originally it was a phone style number pad, where you would slide an overlay in that showed what the buttons do.

Hardware-wise yes there are. A textured polygon is not the same as 2d hardware.
But when you can push millions of textured 2d polygons, what's the practical difference?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's almost always a software thing though, not hardware. I have absolutely no idea what they mean with that graphics comment.

I assume they mean it has an 8k video output, but using a cheap gpu with weaker 3d.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over