Hacking Installing new cias replaces old specific ones

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS modded per 3dshacks instructions and has been working great. I have forwarder cias for DS games that I launch from the main menu and recently added a few DS games in this fashion. However, whenever I add new ones, some of them take the place of old ones in the menu. I can still see in FBI that the titles are installed but can't see them in the menu. I then try to reinstall the ones that got deleted but they just take the place of another, resulting in a vicious circle.

The confusing part is that new installations only (thankfully) replace DS forwarder cias or cias of DSi shop nds's converted to cia with godmode9. The actual 3DS cias are not affected.
I only have about 123 titles in the main menu, and FBI shows about 284 total titles installed, so it doesn't seem like I'm running into the 300 limit, which I thin only applies to menu items anyway.

Any clues on how I might avoid this issue?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS modded per 3dshacks instructions and has been working great. I have forwarder cias for DS games that I launch from the main menu and recently added a few DS games in this fashion. However, whenever I add new ones, some of them take the place of old ones in the menu. I can still see in FBI that the titles are installed but can't see them in the menu. I then try to reinstall the ones that got deleted but they just take the place of another, resulting in a vicious circle.

The confusing part is that new installations only (thankfully) replace DS forwarder cias or cias of DSi shop nds's converted to cia with godmode9. The actual 3DS cias are not affected.
I only have about 123 titles in the main menu, and FBI shows about 284 total titles installed, so it doesn't seem like I'm running into the 300 limit, which I thin only applies to menu items anyway.

Any clues on how I might avoid this issue?
U have reached the 300 limit

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the limit apply to titles in the system, rather than games in the menu?
I thought you could have as many titles as you wanted on the SD card but only display 300 on the menu.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. Thank you all. I had seen conflicting info elsewhere, suggesting that the límite was related to slots on the screen and not installed titles. It seems the later is the correct answer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The strange part is that only DS forwarder and Dsi Shipp games get replaced, and not 3DS games.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
About 123 titles sounds far enough away from 300. I don't think you have reached that.
[…]
The strange part is that only DS forwarder and Dsi Shipp games get replaced, and not 3DS games.
But there is another limit for DSiWare: 40 titles.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/
↓↓↓↓
Q: Why aren't some of my forwarders appearing?
A: You went over the 40 DSiWare game limit. Copy any DSiWare/forwarder you don't use, to your SD Card, and delete it from System Memory.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. Thank you all. I had seen conflicting info elsewhere, suggesting that the límite was related to slots on the screen and not installed titles. It seems the later is the correct answer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It'll hide the game you installed 1st. so say you install 300 games then 1 more. The first game you ever installed will dissapear, then the next one will be the second in the list and so on. dsiware has a limit of 40 iirc, but that also counts to the total limit (forwarders, folders, and badges also count)

Last edited by Mythical,
Reactions: themanuel

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About 123 titles sounds far enough away from 300. I don't think you have reached that.

But there is another limit for DSiWare: 40 titles.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/
↓↓↓↓

Now this actually explains everything I'm seeing!

Thank you for chiming in as I was about to go off in the wrong direction here. It sounds like DS forwarders register as DSi shop titles and I do have exactly 40 such titles right now, after the ones that got replaced disappeared. I had failed to see that in the forwarder thread's faq so my mistake.

Regarding the suggestion to copy unused titles to the SD card: does that make them playable or is it just a way to shuffle old games around to be able to play new ones?

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
th
Now this actually explains everything I'm seeing!

Thank you for chiming in as I was about to go off in the wrong direction here. It sounds like DS forwarders register as DSi shop titles and I do have exactly 40 such titles right now, after the ones that got replaced disappeared. I had failed to see that in the forwarder thread's faq so my mistake.

Regarding the suggestion to copy unused titles to the SD card: does that make them playable or is it just a way to shuffle old games around to be able to play new ones?
They should still be installed/playable you could transfer unused dsiware to the sd card via the settings menu to save icons or you could use the godmode 9 script I linked above to have two sets of menus (you could use one just for dsiware iirc)

Reactions: themanuel

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
or you could use the godmode 9 script I linked above to have two sets of menus (you could use one just for dsiware iirc)
That wont work as dsiware title's are installed to nand not the sd card. You can check this out yourself by removing the 3ds sd card and switching on the 3ds without the card inserted. All dsiware titles will still be there and will still load and run perfectly.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo