Hacking Installing IOS questions

MarioMilo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all, I used this to hack my wii: http://wiihacks.pbworks.com/w/page/5250895/Hack%20Your%20Wii

N
ow, to play MH3 it says I need IOS55. I was wondering, if I were to install IOS53-64-v5406.wad and IOS55-64-v5406.wad, would I be able to play the backup copy of the game?

Current info: cIOS 222, 4.1e.

Sorry if this has been answered before. I've checked online in many places for this, please help :)

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
last edited by haruspex 2 years, 1 month ago

Awesome guide you got there. :rolleyes:
Redo the whole thing with a proper guide, such as modmii or the other sticky.

I love how people use stupid guides, then come here for help....

MarioMilo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What's wrong with this guide? I'm new to this so I'm a lil clueless. I'm learning the terms slowly though, but I had 3 days worth of experience haha.

Will using ModMii brick my Wii if I use it to install ios55 onto my 4.1e wii? :)

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The guide you used is outdated, that's what is wrong with it.
Wii modding is a proces that changes occasionally. modmii follows these changes and uses the best solution for every job.

If you are using an usb loader, it will probably use a cios like 222 or 249. If this is the case, it doesn't matter if the official ios is installed or not.
A wii program can only use one ios at a time. That being said, be carefull not to mess with the ios used by your system menu. (Usually 60, 70 or 80)
Deleting or corrupting those ios can cause your wii to brick.

MarioMilo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahk thanks people. Sorry for being a noob about things, I know how much some people would have raged at me for not knowing what I'm on about (I'm the same).

Can anyone tell me how to re-softmod my wii? Do I just use ModMii, follow the instructions, and bam, or do I start from a specific part of the installation process? I've already installed HBC, so that is why I am asking :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What's wrong with this guide?
What obcd says: things are still in development. If you use a guide that hasn't been updated in two years, it'll miss out on the newer developments.

Perhaps more importantly: we can't be held responsible for what your random guy posts on the internet. It's not that hard to write a guide that works for you (with 'you' being the author of the guide), but harder to write a guide that works for everyone in any situation.

The best example is the people who follow guides that install darkcorp because they heard that'll allow them to play backup DVD's from the disc channel. And while that may be true, those guides often forget to mention that this only works on wiis that are older than mid 2009 (the newer ones have a different drive that won't accept anything but retail discs). And they don't forget that they hack much more than is strictly needed. Or they don't mention that playing games from USB drive is not only much more convenient, but safer and more reliable as well.
And the reason? You guessed it...because those guides were written before those new drives became standard.

To answer your question: no, overwriting IOS55 won't brick your wii* (linky to some info about it). But unless you replace it with a hacked version, it won't play backups from the disc channel. And I don't know if modmii has those (why should they? USB loaders don't need to mess with system-crucial internal IOS'es and the DVD users are a minority anyway).

EDIT: you can re-softmod your wii by using modmii, indeed. Just do it from the start and treat your wii as if there was no hacks on it. At the worst, you'll lose some time reinstalling the same things, but it's the best way to be safe (and perhaps update some things in the process). :)

*there are many IOS'es on your wii. As long as you don't mess with the one your system menu uses, things are fine...in theory. In practice, the games that rely on that specific IOS may or may not work.

Reactions: 1 person

MarioMilo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you so much for your detailed reply Wever :)

Agreed with the darkcorp example. I made sure to buy a 2nd hand wii from a retailer that wasn't made recently, and I made sure that the system was running nothing higher than 4.1, as I've read that 4.2/3 are annoying to hack for many people.

I shall do this soon and re-post my successes and failures. Wish me luck :D

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
4.2 and 4.3 don't add any benefit to the system.
The only good things in it like ios58 can be installed without the need to upgrade the system menu.
For 4.2, there is the bannerbomb exploit, and for 4.3 there is the mail bomb exploit.
This mail bomb exploit is also a recent development.
Before that, you needed an exploitable game to get homebrew running on a 4.3 system menu wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i'm gonna start saying uninvoluntary to piss my dad off lmfao