Installed Mario Golf: World Tour as .cia. Now the eShop is allowing me to download the whole game

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neo Draven, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Ummm... okay?

Last night I installed Mario Golf: World Tour as a .cia file. It failed to boot properly, but at least it didn't freeze at the 3DS logo.

After upgrading to a new 32GB big SD card, I went to go redownload all of my everything from the eShop, and somehow, it is allowing me to download the Mario Golf: World Tour full game.

Whaaaa?

It's downloading as we speak.

-

It got to 99% and then stopped because of an error. There is a present bubble on my home screen, though, showing it as 99% completed. I clicked on it to Download Now, and it started over.

-

And it stopped. Error Code: 005-4272

Trying one more time. If this works, we wonders, precious. Aye, we wonders...

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Your eShop purchases are logged server-side and tied to the system. The app merely detected that you have it installed and "re-downloaded" it, however it borked out in the verification stage. You can fully "download", or rather, verify what's already there, but you won't "buy" the game.

Neo Draven likes this.
  3. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    I doubt it'll work, but that's interesting. Not sure why the last few steps of installation would be saved for "Checking if you actually own the damn thing". That would be pretty stupid on Nintendo's side.

Neo Draven likes this.
  4. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I see. I thought perhaps I was one of the first people to run into this. Oh, well. It's not like I can't just install it using DevMenu.

For a scant moment there, though, I hoped.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It would be an interesting flaw if it did work - almost like the song hacks for Ubisoft's Just Dance on the Wii.

6. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

I kinda doubt Nintendo themselves are that stupid. :rolleyes:

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I most certainly don't, but I know for a fact that eShop stuff is server-side, so you can't fool it system-side... :P

kyogre123 likes this.
  8. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I'm surprised it even allowed me to download even a single byte of a game that I had not directly purchased through my eShop account. Never seen anything like this before.

Huntereb likes this.
  9. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    Yeah, I have tried some stuff on my own 3DS and I can say as well that the eShop knows when the tickets are only in your side.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's not like we haven't gone through an entire generation of downloading stuff from Nintendo servers illegitimately one IOS at a time or anything - they're not exactly kings of security. :P

That's also how they manage deleting illigitimate content - they delete the ticket server-side. Remember the controversy after one of Nintendo's promotions when people downloaded more games then they were supposed to and the games disappeared from the system menu? ;)

Neo Draven likes this.
  11. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Title keys to decrypt contents from the CDN are encrypted and stored locally in ticket.db on NAND.

My guess that the Title Key is transferred during POS. Since you don't have it, it is unable to decrypt the files downloaded from the CDN when attempting to re-install the title.

12. Heien

Heien GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    This sounds dangerous, or it would sound dangerous if ninty cared more :lol:

13. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    "Caring" and "competence" are two horses of a different color.

14. Cjuub

Cjuub GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2006
    That was actually the case with Wii, during the first days of WAD installing solutions, the wii shop only checked that the system had the ticket installed on the system and allowed any VC games installed as wad files to be downloaded from the shop. So yeah... Nintendo CAN be that stupid... :P

They patched it quickly though, and I doubt they'll make that mistake again.

Huntereb likes this.
  15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I totally remember that happening, I was wondering why the concept sounds so familiar! :rofl2:

16. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Third attempt, and it failed again. So, looks like there won't be any full game downloads from the eShop by means of installing a game through the DevMenu.

Yet. After seeing the Wii ripped wide open like a fat kid tearing into a box of Twinkies, I have faith in our community.