Hacking Injected SNES VC's: Can't get past the "Press Start"

Kakkoii

Old fart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've tried injecting 2 SNES games so far, and both have the same problem. The ROM's are perfect, opened them in ZSNESW and looked at the diagnostics. I install them on my Wii and load them up, the games starts up, shows the company logo's and whatnot, then it comes to the "Press Start..." screen that most games have. After I press start, the screen goes black and nothing happens.

I don't know what's going wrong. The Wii hasn't crashed, because I can still use the Wiimote and press the HOME button to go back to the wii system menu.

Could it have something to do with save files? I noticed it creates a save file in the name of what the old WAD used to be. Which is Donkey Kong Country 3.

Hopefully someone knows what's up, thanks.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
What roms are you trying to inject? Can't help if you don't tell the most import part, what files you use.
tongue.gif

Kakkoii

Old fart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RadioShadow said:
What roms are you trying to inject? Can't help if you don't tell the most import part, what files you use.
tongue.gif
Illusion of Gaia & Terranigma.

I used the proper (U) [!] roms.

The Wii does boot the roms, and shows the logo introductions, but goes black after I press start at the Start menu. But works in emulators on my computer.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you bother to injected SNES VC ?? Its ridiculous. The nintendo release vc roms are much better than injected SNES VC because it can damage your Wii. I dont understand people like you want to do that. Jeez!!

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
RockmanForte said:
Why are you bother to injected SNES VC ?? Its ridiculous. The nintendo release vc roms are much better than injected SNES VC because it can damage your Wii. I dont understand people like you want to do that. Jeez!!

The original VC releases can damage the Wii!? I better not download any in the future then and stick to injects!
biggrin.gif

Kakkoii said:
QUOTE(RadioShadow @ Jul 21 2009, 02:29 PM) What roms are you trying to inject? Can't help if you don't tell the most import part, what files you use.
tongue.gif

The Wii does boot the roms, and shows the logo introductions, but goes black after I press start at the Start menu. But works in emulators on my computer.

Let me have a look for you. It's been a long time since I've injected a SNES wad.

EDIT 1: I'm getting the same problem as you with Illusion of Gaia. I get no sound and it freezes after I press start. Your best bet is to to other WADs (I know Super Mario All Stars only worked in Donkey Kong Country).

As for Terranigma, you are aware there was no US release and I guess you tried the Europe release which is designed to run in PAL50 (hence why you had a black screen). Anyway, romhacking.net had a patch to make the Europe version run in 60Hz. I injected it into Donkey Kong Country 2 and it works. Just it's horrible font tells me it is not designed to run on a JP/US machine. I can fix that error know by removing the region protection.
biggrin.gif
*does that*

EDIT 2: I have injected the Terranigma rom into 6 different SNES wads and got the same result. It just stays on a black screen after the green enix logo. Basically your out of luck with getting those two roms to work.

Kakkoii

Old fart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RadioShadow said:
RockmanForte said:

The original VC releases can damage the Wii!? I better not download any in the future then and stick to injects!
biggrin.gif

Kakkoii said:
RadioShadow said:
tongue.gif

Let me have a look for you. It's been a long time since I've injected a SNES wad.

EDIT 1: I'm getting the same problem as you with Illusion of Gaia. I get no sound and it freezes after I press start. Your best bet is to to other WADs (I know Super Mario All Stars only worked in Donkey Kong Country).

As for Terranigma, you are aware there was no US release and I guess you tried the Europe release which is designed to run in PAL50 (hence why you had a black screen). Anyway, romhacking.net had a patch to make the Europe version run in 60Hz. I injected it into Donkey Kong Country 2 and it works. Just it's horrible font tells me it is not designed to run on a JP/US machine. I can fix that error know by removing the region protection.
biggrin.gif
*does that*

EDIT 2: I have injected the Terranigma rom into 6 different SNES wads and got the same result. It just stays on a black screen after the green enix logo. Basically your out of luck with getting those two roms to work.

Yeah, I had patched Terranigma to NTSC also and used ucon64 to make sure everything was in order. Thanks for trying though.

Posts merged

QUOTE(RockmanForte @ Jul 21 2009, 09:15 PM)

Ummm, lol?

We inject rom's because Nintendo hasn't released these games on the VC yet! When Nintendo has Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia for sale, then I will use the official version.

Kakkoii

Old fart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wuschmaster said:
Big news: Official VC releases also use an emulator.
No shit Sherlock. But that's not what I meant. I want to have a nice looking VC channel for each of my games, not have to open up an emulator and choose from a list of roms. I already created WAD's with nice banners/icons for both of those roms. I just need to get the rom fully working on the Wii.

osirus35

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just reading different threads Donkey Kong Country seems to be the most popular base wad to use for SNES injects. But you can use others

Kakkoii

Old fart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
osirus35 said:
just reading different threads Donkey Kong Country seems to be the most popular base wad to use for SNES injects. But you can use others
Yep. I've tried DKC3, DKC1, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and the official wad's from my own Wii for Zelda and Super Mario World.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kakkoii said:
Wuschmaster said:
No shit Sherlock. But that's not what I meant. I want to have a nice looking VC channel for each of my games, not have to open up an emulator and choose from a list of roms. I already created WAD's with nice banners/icons for both of those roms. I just need to get the rom fully working on the Wii.

Not to insult VC, since I use it for N64 since Wii64 isn't playable yet, but I'm not quit understanding your logic. You honestly want to go through all of this work to get all of the games you want not on the VC injected?

How is loading a rom from a list better than going through all of the work to inject roms? They take forever by comparison.

I can see why you'd do if for N64, since homebrew N64 emulation isn't up to snuff yet, but all of this work just to give everything it's own channel?

Just seems a bit strange for me.

Kakkoii

Old fart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
s3phir0th115 said:
Kakkoii said:
Wuschmaster said:

Not to insult VC, since I use it for N64 since Wii64 isn't playable yet, but I'm not quit understanding your logic. You honestly want to go through all of this work to get all of the games you want not on the VC injected?

How is loading a rom from a list better than going through all of the work to inject roms? They take forever by comparison.

I can see why you'd do if for N64, since homebrew N64 emulation isn't up to snuff yet, but all of this work just to give everything it's own channel?

Just seems a bit strange for me.

Because, injecting the rom is only an initial investment of time. I don't have to do it every time I want to play the rom. Once it's done I merely have to click on the channel and it starts. Plus I can release the WAD for other people to use.

JazzyJT08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because, injecting the rom is only an initial investment of time. I don't have to do it every time I want to play the rom. Once it's done I merely have to click on the channel and it starts. Plus I can release the WAD for other people to use.

Hey buddy, I agree exactly with what you said. I know it's been a long time since you've posted here but did you successfully make a wad for Illusion of Gaia?

ZeroUC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i had a problem like this before wear the game wont work but i found a way all you have to do is find a working wad i once found a website that covers what wad you need for a specific game for example ff4 needed the final fight wad and thats how i got it to work so i hope that helps you(if you didnt solve your problem that is(idk if you did))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that case is huge, but is cool.
  • D @ dadadad:
    I was installing mods for games, but when I removed the romfs folder, an error occurred. Now when I try to launch the game, I see a yellow screen, and I have to reboot the switch. Reinstalling the game didn't help. Can you advise me on what to do to launch the game without mods?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @dadadad delete sd:\atmosphere\contents
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should find out from the mod dev how to uninstall it. Every mod is different on how you install/uninstall.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @The Real Jdbye Wouldn't that take out bunch other stuff also?
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I don't remember most of it.