Industry leaker claims that the Nintendo Switch 2 will have backwards compatibility support

zeldo.png

Information on the successor to the Nintendo Switch has been hard to come by, as with the launch of a new console, Nintendo is keeping things to themselves for now. However, there's a leaker with a history of occasionally breaking news before official announcements get made. Industry insider Nate The Hate, who correctly knew that Game Boy games would be coming to Nintendo Switch Online months before it happened, but also reiterated plenty of Switch Pro claims, says that the anticipated Switch successor system will have backwards compatibility with Nintendo Switch games.

This comment comes after David Gibson, a research analyst, found that an electronic components company, Hosiden Corporation, has allocated 2 billion yen for spending on production, and 1 billion yen on automation, in the "amusement" department. Hosiden has worked with Nintendo for hardware in the past, supplying numerous electronic components for the Switch.

The Nintendo Switch successor was supposedly set for a 2024 launch, but was reportedly delayed in order to have a better launch title lineup. What we do know for a fact is that Tokyo Games Show is taking place this month, and that Nintendo will definitively announce their new hardware before the end of this fiscal year.

:arrow: Source

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just learned that there is such a thing as New 2DS XL. Nintendo wasn't the smartest kid on the block. I strongly recommend Nintendo just use the number 2 instead of trying to be smart. Or they can call it New Switch and be screwed with the next one.
That's not the same. N3DS/2DS was literally a 3DS with improved hardware and different form factors, not a successor to the 3DS. Switch already has equivalents to N3DS: Switch Lite and Switch OLED, your "Switch Pros".

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I just learned that there is such a thing as New 2DS XL. Nintendo wasn't the smartest kid on the block. I strongly recommend Nintendo just use the number 2 instead of trying to be smart. Or they can call it New Switch and be screwed with the next one.
That's on you for not knowing about the New 2DS XL. Everybody else knew about it when it was relevant.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about waiting and seeing what is going to happen instead of ruining it for people who want a a surprise and only doing it for clout. For once im actually on Nintendo's side with all these leakers and how they want to spoil it for people for clout and recognition.

TomSwitch

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about waiting and seeing what is going to happen instead of ruining it for people who want a a surprise and only doing it for clout. For once im actually on Nintendo's side with all these leakers and how they want to spoil it for people for clout and recognition.
I am always on Nintendo's side. All hail Nintendo we are all waiting.

Everyone here are "lover" of Nintendo though some have the love/hate relationship that comes with obsessive love and Nintendo is never good enough for them.

rayida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who thinks the delay (assuming it was delayed, but I think most people here think 8 years between generations is highly unusual) is down to Nintendo having already planned for backwards compatibility, and then the Mig Switch card appeared. I think there's a good chance that the Switch 2 was almost ready to go with game cartridges using the same form factor as the first one, then the Mig dropped and Nintendo realised that their console could be susceptible to piracy on Day 1, which is unheard of in the modern console era. I suspect they scrapped the initial plans and went back to the drawing board to see if and how they could secure the lotus stuff.
I think there's a very good chance that if Mig had sat on their product for another 12 months they would have experienced 5x the demand.
Post automatically merged:

I don't quite get the expression, could you elaborate what do you mean by
I was confused too, but I assume the expression we'd more relate to would be "Nintendo went scorched earth on Mig resellers"

Last edited by rayida,

TomSwitch

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who thinks the delay (assuming it was delayed, but I think most people here think 8 years between generations is highly unusual) is down to Nintendo having already planned for backwards compatibility, and then the Mig Switch card appeared. I think there's a good chance that the Switch 2 was almost ready to go with game cartridges using the same form factor as the first one, then the Mig dropped and Nintendo realised that their console could be susceptible to piracy on Day 1, which is unheard of in the modern console era. I suspect they scrapped the initial plans and went back to the drawing board to see if and how they could secure the lotus stuff.
I think there's a very good chance that if Mig had sat on their product for another 12 months they would have experienced 5x the demand.
Post automatically merged:

I was confused too, but I assume the expression we'd more relate to would be "Nintendo went scorched earth on Mig resellers"
Not sure why people think that highly of MIG. You could already play a game you bought from eshop on more than one Switch at a time since day one. You always have the limit of only one online at a time and with MIG it is still the same.

Reactions: BigOnYa

THYPLEX

I see what you did there
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty silly if it didn't.

SNES had GB BC.
GCN had GBA BC.
Wii had GCN BC.
Wii U had Wii/GCN BC.
GBA had GB/GBC BC.
DS had GBA BC.
3DS had DS BC.

Yep. Zelda TotK was essentially BotW2, but Nintendo came up with a new title for it so they'll probably call it something than number it.

Super Switch? Ultra Switch? Don't think it'll be either of these two.
SUPER ULTRA DUPER SWITCH 2 HD EDITION

rayida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why people think that highly of MIG. You could already play a game you bought from eshop on more than one Switch at a time since day one. You always have the limit of only one online at a time and with MIG it is still the same.
Not sure what part of my post you took to mean I or anyone else thinks highly of Mig.

DoomedHologram

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to be an industry insider to know that it'll have backwards compatibility. It would be a very bad decision not to include that.

KanaKonpaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it can be said that if Nintendo's next console is actually a direct successor to the Switch, I'd hope that it would be reverse compatible but if it isn't then I'd question it. The Switch wasn't reverse compatible with the Wii U, likely because it was a portable console. So I'd say that will be what will determine this. I'd say more than likely it will be since I assume it'll be another hybrid console since that appeals to the masses.

TomSwitch

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it can be said that if Nintendo's next console is actually a direct successor to the Switch, I'd hope that it would be reverse compatible but if it isn't then I'd question it. The Switch wasn't reverse compatible with the Wii U, likely because it was a portable console. So I'd say that will be what will determine this. I'd say more than likely it will be since I assume it'll be another hybrid console since that appeals to the masses.
While I hope this is more than a Switch Pro all rumor says that it is not much different than PS5 pro is to PS5.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.