Incredibly Small Game - Amazing Graphics?

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes Pink of Abyss went and started his company, Shinen, with much commercial success and made an evolved version of the wonderful AHX tracker on amiga expanded and enhanced for portable handheld systems... Many, many games are worked on by demosceners, and always have been and still are, from C64 to PS3... for example Max Payne was pretty much coded entirely by demosceners
wink.gif

about max payne: this is not totally true. there are outsiders at remedy team now but originally yes there was much demosceners afaik...

lol i never said Remedy were _only_ consisiting of demosceners now, i just said originaly Max Payne was pretty much coded by demosceners, ofcourse Remedy has now expanded and has many talented people in their company
smile.gif

And this "dont fall for it people" phrase is funny, i think he's just joking now
biggrin.gif

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yes Pink of Abyss went and started his company, Shinen, with much commercial success and made an evolved version of the wonderful AHX tracker on amiga expanded and enhanced for portable handheld systems... Many, many games are worked on by demosceners, and always have been and still are, from C64 to PS3... for example Max Payne was pretty much coded entirely by demosceners
wink.gif

about max payne: this is not totally true. there are outsiders at remedy team now but originally yes there was much demosceners afaik...

lol i never said Remedy were _only_ consisiting of demosceners now, i just said originaly Max Payne was pretty much coded by demosceners, ofcourse Remedy has now expanded and has many talented people in their company
smile.gif

And this "dont believe it people" phrase is funny, i think he's just joking now
biggrin.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
well back to gaming
yaynds.gif
well if you come to assembly you need to talk with eetu (frank of orange) he made much stuff for max payne and mad onion stuff. also he made nice original animations in orange demos and nowadays he made some commercial stuff at little ad-agency/tv-broadcasting production company called undo.fi. they made finnish version of idols intro animation
wink.gif

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am indeed comming to assembly.. and i have also worked commercialy in games and ofcourse in demos also, which is why i dont want to give my real nick or group name away... perhaps i'll meet you there then
wink.gif

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
I don't think this type of compression is possible on larger games since quite a lot of resources are used to render the graphics and with larger games that have thousands of textures it would put a huge strain on the pc.

I don't think it's so much the strain on the system, as it is the ridiculously long loading times, already pretty long for a relatively short demo it would be excruciating for a full PC game. Though of course, you would still need pretty good hardware regardless.

Strummer

Trophies
XP
Country
all this is made just for btw. just for kicks. there is no real use for these realtime generated animations and stuff
smile.gif
most demosceners are cs students who are interested in computers and arts. demoscene is like crosspath of mathematics and art. math is beautiful
smile.gif

no real use? yeah, except for a little obscure game that no one knows about called Spore coming out this year that's based heavily on proceduraly generated content
tongue.gif

[/sarcasm]

also, the first proper 3d game, Elite, had a proceduraly generated universe with 2048 planets, complete with statistics and descriptions, from a few bytes of code

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't think this type of compression is possible on larger games since quite a lot of resources are used to render the graphics and with larger games that have thousands of textures it would put a huge strain on the pc.

I don't think it's so much the strain on the system, as it is the ridiculously long loading times, already pretty long for a relatively short demo it would be excruciating for a full PC game. Though of course, you would still need pretty good hardware regardless.
well what it could do is that for example "generate textures" beginning of each level for example.. but thats just idea. i dont know if any selfrespecting photoshop guy would wanna work with textgen just to save space coz we got it almost unlimited nowadays
wink.gif

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
all this is made just for btw. just for kicks. there is no real use for these realtime generated animations and stuff
smile.gif
most demosceners are cs students who are interested in computers and arts. demoscene is like crosspath of mathematics and art. math is beautiful
smile.gif

no real use? yeah, except for a little obscure game that no one knows about called Spore coming out this year that's based heavily on proceduraly generated content
tongue.gif

[/sarcasm]

also, the first proper 3d game, Elite, had a proceduraly generated universe with 2048 planets, complete with statistics and descriptions, from a few bytes of code
well.. we got dvd now with lots of space so i think its kinda useless to make small stuff, but procedurally generated content is always interesting, shame that no other makers wanna "try to make something new" they just wanna do another 3d shooter or sports game and dont do anything risky or something weird...

tamper1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why aren't we seeing these kinds of amazingly smart programming techniques to bring better quality 3D games to the DS?

Or are we?

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So why aren't we seeing these kinds of amazingly smart programming techniques to bring better quality 3D games to the DS?

Or are we?
again: iam not coder but i think not much because ds is not very powerful machine. not much work memory. but i think spore is going to be ported for ds (dunno if this is possible). some kind of procedural level generation is possible .. at least it is used in pokemon dungeon game. its only depends coders ability to invent stuff where it could be used
wub.gif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Or are we?
Polygon limitations still apply for the DS. Also storage space isn't the problem in making 3D games for DS, it's memory. And these techniques take up more memory and processing power than the DS has. Even if you could make awesome graphics on the DS, you couldn't make it run at an acceptable framerate.

mag2005

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing that 96kb game long time ago. It's a pretty decent looking fps for a 96kb file. You can actually download and play the game.

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
http://www.pouet.net/

For those interested in the demoscene use the link above to see more.

These skills would prove very useful in the future when processors speed can replace physical storage due to the massive amounts of compression. Its all about sqweezing all you can out of somethin.

A dam lot of work goes into these prods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: