Incredibly Small Game - Amazing Graphics?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jesterscourt, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jelbo

jelbo Ōkami!

Sep 12, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    OMG, this is awesome! Imagine what current PC games could look like when lots more effort is put into it [​IMG]

2. Azimuth

Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Feb 23, 2006
    Canada
    yup, they try to prove how 1337 they are, its kinda sad. If you wanna make a point they don't insult us, enlighten us with your "wisdom".

I don't think this type of compression is possible on larger games since quite a lot of resources are used to render the graphics and with larger games that have thousands of textures it would put a huge strain on the pc.

3. rest0re

rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    well imagine there would be like "history" function at photoshop. they use mathematics to play back "textures". textures are made in texture gen which uses mathematics .. so texture is just stored as f0g560534 string for example.. and so on

4. TheStump

TheStump Got Wood?

May 8, 2006
    I assume this game takes the same premise as that of a flash game created entirley with action scripting?
    I played the demo, its really great. alot like a dulled down UT2004. But the impressive thing i spose is the way its been created.

5. - Wrath of God -

- Wrath of God - God

Nov 8, 2003
    United States
    Or instead of converting textures, you could create them in vector form to begin with, even though drawing vector graphics to screen is very GPU-consuming.

I haven't made anything big yet (or quite as pretty), but whenever I make something, I try to use as little pre-made graphics as possible. All of my games run on vector engines. But like I said, I haven't made anything big yet.

6. rest0re

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    well no...
    actually it is created more effectively. its basically "cheating". if you know 3d models are made from "primitives" so basically they made code that analyses 3d model and splits it into primitives which can be constructed with mathematical seed. and so on.. everything is just very much do with mathematics.

7. rest0re

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    textures are generated. kkrieger has mini-photoshop inside of it and stored basic info of textures. then when program runs mini photoshop generates textures...
    edit: mini photoshop (my term) its little program that is just made for generating textures. it is actually quite simple. just google for aardbei texture gen and try it.

8. rest0re

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    all this is made just for btw. just for kicks. there is no real use for these realtime generated animations and stuff [​IMG] most demosceners are cs students who are interested in computers and arts. demoscene is like crosspath of mathematics and art. math is beautiful [​IMG]

9. rest0re

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    also reason is that demos use cheating/cheats, i dont want to tell some cheats what are used but they're kinda simple. when you understand how these cheats are done you will respect these guys less [​IMG]

10. lagman

lagman I wish I was green.

Former Staff
    Nov 5, 2003
    Mexico
    Me, To You
    C-C-C-C-C-COMBO
    [​IMG]

No, it was actually interesting to read, but...four posts, I'm confused [​IMG]

11. Maikel Steneker

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Wow, I didn't know they made that one too! It's amazing!

12. rest0re

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    sorry i'm just so fan of this subject coz i have my own demogroup called "jasoft" (btw. looking for members so if you are good with photoshop or making musics or code PM me [​IMG])

13. pandas0nic

pandas0nic GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2007
    Nowhere
    You seem to play down the skills and talents of these coders, cheating and hardcore optimization share a fine line between them, being able to optimize to such an extreme level is definately a worthy skill even if some cheating is involved with rendering techniques, object creation, memory management etc etc...

For example there is no cheating invloved whatsoever in a softsynth, this is a very hard thing to code to a decent level, and the one i'm using in my demo group ( i dont want to mention the name, all you need to know is that they've already won competitions [​IMG] ) ... has advanced features found in commercial softsynths like lfo units, filters, envelopes, everything able to modulate, various generators etc etc ... all hand coded, and can generate a 16bit tune at 44.1kHz to the size of ~1k if need be...

You seem a cool fellow demoscener, but i just dont think you should play down the talents of these people, as many work in the games industry aswell and code many of the games you already pirate [​IMG]

14. nephdj

nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Apr 13, 2007
    They added a .net lightning engine since this demo came out, so if they rereleased it, would look even better [​IMG]

amazing what optimization can do

15. cruddybuddy

cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

Banned
    Aug 27, 2003
    United States
    California
    Don't fall for it people.

16. Strider

Strider Next to the mainstream

Oct 29, 2002
    Group: Banned!

Says it all [​IMG]

Seriously, just because you can't comprehend what's going on doesn't mean it HAS to be a virus or such...

17. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    That debris demo was astonishing.

18. rest0re

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    iam not a coder but i always regarded demoscene to be kinda magic and "cheating". good magician never shows how they do the tricks. i agree that softsynth is no cheat, but it can for example use gm.dll for sound generation. and its not easy, yes but if you know how to do it reading tutorials around you can get hang with it. just trying to make my point as simple as i can so others would understand what is it about [​IMG]
    edit: at least pink/abyss (amiga scener) is coding games for ds. he also made that sound-engine that they license... shinem afaik.
    edit2: what i meant is that old demos for example display unlimited sprites on old machine. its "cheat" or "magic trick" .. no i dont play down the talent. i just say that its not that "magical" as some think. well maybe coz i used to work with some guys making 64k intros/demos [​IMG]

19. pandas0nic

pandas0nic GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2007
    Nowhere
    Yes Pink of Abyss went and started his company, Shinen, with much commercial success and made an evolved version of the wonderful AHX tracker on amiga expanded and enhanced for portable handheld systems... Many, many games are worked on by demosceners, and always have been and still are, from C64 to PS3... for example Max Payne was pretty much coded entirely by demosceners [​IMG]

20. rest0re

Dec 23, 2006
    Finland
    WINLAND
    about max payne: this is not totally true. there are outsiders at remedy team now but originally yes there was much demosceners afaik...

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted