RELEASE Improved Switch Portrait/Vertical Grip

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by icefox, Dec 15, 2018.

1. icefox
    OP

icefox Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    I just improved an existing design of 3D-printed Switch portrait grip. The result is quite good. You can now play portrait games perfectly (if you have a 3D printer or know someone who has a 3D printer).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3287040

Also a complaint: switching to portrait mode is a pain in Retroarch. The only way is to enable Advanced Settings in Interface, then change the system-wide Video setting, then reload the Core. PFBA is much better with rom-specific settings of screen rotation and can be changed on the fly.

ec39b9382bb70823fe2b019fd13ae82b_preview_featured.
    13cfdac91176b2e3cc2bebbeba52fb81_preview_featured. d0436dbe25fcc17d9a0d116acd2364a1_preview_featured.

2. justinbug2

justinbug2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    I would rather just get a flip grip tbh

3. Sm0k3r83

Sm0k3r83 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    Sm0k3r83 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 16, 2018
    Canada
    yeah same i was a backer just waiting on delivery

4. icefox
    OP

icefox Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    In the age of 3D printing this kind of simple mechanical kickstarter projects really don't make much sense. My design (and many others out there) does all theirs does---holding the switch without blocking air intake and vent (albeit much more comfortably). And it costs $1 to print (70g of PLA). Their design is indeed pretty neat yeah but I wouldn't pay $12 and wait for months. I designed mine to my own taste in a few hours.

5. Knucklesfan

Knucklesfan GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    Sweet! Definitely printing this!

6. Knucklesfan

Knucklesfan GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    Sweet! Definitely printing this!

7. gking53

gking53 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks for this man! Always nice to have people like you sharing these kinds of things with the community

8. icefox
    OP

icefox Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    I'm inspired by the flip grip and added a locking mechanism in my design--such is the power of 3D printing:)

9. TheRocK

TheRocK GBAtemp Fan

Apr 16, 2003
    Gambia, The
    Very nice project. I backed the FligGrip and received it just today. Slightly offtopic. What I noticed in the newest PFba is that the directional control settings also flip when I flip the rotation. This is kind of annoying as I have to manually set the configuration for every vertical game. Have you experienced this as well? Don't have this problem in retroarch.

10. icefox
    OP

icefox Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    I think you are right about it. I think the idea is that if you rotate the screen, you'd be rotating buttons at the same time, which is true for all other consoles but not the Switch. You can try Retroarch. It won't rotate your control and will be perfect for the flip grip.

11. itoken

itoken Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2018
    Japan
    Me too