Impending Flash Cart Purchase, Personal Reviews Wanted

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by C00kies0fD00m, Feb 2, 2015.

1. C00kies0fD00m
    OP

C00kies0fD00m Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    United States
    California
    Hi all,

Well it's been a while since I was into the FlashCart community (an old M3DS REAL user lol) and I've seen some nice advancements in the current 3DS Carts so it looks like finally time to purchase one. I have a couple of Concerns though, first I've seen some Carts advertising "New" 3DS compatablity do we have a list somewhere showing hardware compablity (saw the official GBA Temp list but nothing on "new" hardware)? Next is there a card that supports both 3DS ROMs and DS ROMs (my old M3 is officially dead now so I need to upgrade that as well)? And finally is there any recommendations on resellers? My current go to place (mod chip central) seems to only have the SKY3DS Cart and it's gotten mixed reviews.

Thank you all for the help and support, keep the community strong!

2. sbm888

sbm888 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
  3. mrolive

mrolive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    I currently own a Sky3DS, works great and no issues whatsoever. Works perfectly online as well. Just don't buy the Kingston SD cards from modchipcentral because Kingston cards don't work well with the Sky3DS.

4. C00kies0fD00m
    OP

C00kies0fD00m Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    United States
    California
    Thanks sbm888,

Wow seems like the factions are as split as it was with the M3/R4 debate, which do you have? Since the N3DS is supported only by SKY3DS looks like I'm stuck (at least for now) with that card.

Thanks Mr Olive for the feedback, yeah still looking like this is the best option so far. Do you have any experiences with playing DS ROMs on another card? Seems like Sky does not support DS ROMs

5. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Sky3ds is perfect. No complaints..

If u have a DSTWO like i do.. U can easily just change both cards

Thomas12345 likes this.
  6. mrolive

mrolive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    The Sky3DS does not play DS roms. Just buy a crappy R4 clone for like $20 if you wanna do that.

7. C00kies0fD00m
    OP

C00kies0fD00m Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    United States
    California
    I've looked around for that Cart but no luck :/

However I think I'm going to go with SKY3DS and an R4i; has anyone tried a good GBA emulator for the R4i on a 3DS?

Thanks all for the first hand accounts

8. klincheR

klincheR Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2015
    Gambia, The
    out of map
    Trust me mate wait for gateway for n3ds it will be worth the wait

9. C00kies0fD00m
    OP

C00kies0fD00m Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    United States
    California
    So what's the advantage to the "Gateway" Cart?

10. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States

Sky3DS simulates a retail cartridge, but uses a ROM for the data. This means it can ONLY play roms and pirated games.

Gateway exploits the console to run unsigned code, including a patched game launcher which then runs stuff off the microSD. This means you can also run home-brew, install CIAs (like Wii WADs), and various other neat tricks.

Basically: Sky3DS=Roms only, Gateway=Hacked console, Homebrew, Roms, etc.

sbm888 likes this.
  11. C00kies0fD00m
    OP

C00kies0fD00m Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    United States
    California
    Yeah I started reading a post on the gateway, seems like there is more forum support on this cart vs the first party support from SKY3DS team. Well I might just have to invest in both lol.

12. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States

Yea, GBATemp is definitely biased towards gateway as a whole. Mainly because a lot of users here aren't into piracy but like the home-brew aspects. You might also want to check out the leaked 4.5 CFW, which many users also like (it's what I'm using at the moment).

13. C00kies0fD00m
    OP

C00kies0fD00m Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2015
    United States
    California
    How about this new QQ3DS, I here some good things about it now and then however it seems to get s little overlooked here.

----

Never mind I answered my own question, QQ3DS is a SKYclone with an R4i wood card. I think I'll go with this, I'm looking for GBA compatibility plus the DS component.

14. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    I'd go with QQ3DS definitely, because it's literally the exact same cart as sky3DS (aka a sky3DS with a new sticker), plus you get an r4i with it as a nice bonus.

15. Rinth

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Gateway supports eshop games, DLC and modded games (e.g. unofficial translation or undub).

16. sbm888

sbm888 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Adelaide, Australia
    I've read the QQ3DS is also region free? if it's a close of the Sk3DS, how is that possible when Sky isn't region free?