C00kies0fD00m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

Well it's been a while since I was into the FlashCart community (an old M3DS REAL user lol) and I've seen some nice advancements in the current 3DS Carts so it looks like finally time to purchase one. I have a couple of Concerns though, first I've seen some Carts advertising "New" 3DS compatablity do we have a list somewhere showing hardware compablity (saw the official GBA Temp list but nothing on "new" hardware)? Next is there a card that supports both 3DS ROMs and DS ROMs (my old M3 is officially dead now so I need to upgrade that as well)? And finally is there any recommendations on resellers? My current go to place (mod chip central) seems to only have the SKY3DS Cart and it's gotten mixed reviews.

Thank you all for the help and support, keep the community strong!

mrolive

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I currently own a Sky3DS, works great and no issues whatsoever. Works perfectly online as well. Just don't buy the Kingston SD cards from modchipcentral because Kingston cards don't work well with the Sky3DS.

C00kies0fD00m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks sbm888,

Wow seems like the factions are as split as it was with the M3/R4 debate, which do you have? Since the N3DS is supported only by SKY3DS looks like I'm stuck (at least for now) with that card.

I currently own a Sky3DS, works great and no issues whatsoever. Works perfectly online as well. Just don't buy the Kingston SD cards from modchipcentral because Kingston cards don't work well with the Sky3DS.

Thanks Mr Olive for the feedback, yeah still looking like this is the best option so far. Do you have any experiences with playing DS ROMs on another card? Seems like Sky does not support DS ROMs

mrolive

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks Mr Olive for the feedback, yeah still looking like this is the best option so far. Do you have any experiences with playing DS ROMs on another card? Seems like Sky does not support DS ROMs
The Sky3DS does not play DS roms. Just buy a crappy R4 clone for like $20 if you wanna do that.

C00kies0fD00m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The QQ3DS comes with a crappy R4 clone and is cheaper than the Sky, he can get that!

I've looked around for that Cart but no luck :/

However I think I'm going to go with SKY3DS and an R4i; has anyone tried a good GBA emulator for the R4i on a 3DS?

Thanks all for the first hand accounts

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what's the advantage to the "Gateway" Cart?

Sky3DS simulates a retail cartridge, but uses a ROM for the data. This means it can ONLY play roms and pirated games.

Gateway exploits the console to run unsigned code, including a patched game launcher which then runs stuff off the microSD. This means you can also run home-brew, install CIAs (like Wii WADs), and various other neat tricks.

Basically: Sky3DS=Roms only, Gateway=Hacked console, Homebrew, Roms, etc.

Reactions: sbm888

C00kies0fD00m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS simulates a retail cartridge, but uses a ROM for the data. This means it can ONLY play roms and pirated games.

Gateway exploits the console to run unsigned code, including a patched game launcher which then runs stuff off the microSD. This means you can also run home-brew, install CIAs (like Wii WADs), and various other neat tricks.

Basically: Sky3DS=Roms only, Gateway=Hacked console, Homebrew, Roms, etc.
Yeah I started reading a post on the gateway, seems like there is more forum support on this cart vs the first party support from SKY3DS team. Well I might just have to invest in both lol.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I started reading a post on the gateway, seems like there is more forum support on this cart vs the first party support from SKY3DS team. Well I might just have to invest in both lol.

Yea, GBATemp is definitely biased towards gateway as a whole. Mainly because a lot of users here aren't into piracy but like the home-brew aspects. You might also want to check out the leaked 4.5 CFW, which many users also like (it's what I'm using at the moment).

C00kies0fD00m

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, GBATemp is definitely biased towards gateway as a whole. Mainly because a lot of users here aren't into piracy but like the home-brew aspects. You might also want to check out the leaked 4.5 CFW, which many users also like (it's what I'm using at the moment).
How about this new QQ3DS, I here some good things about it now and then however it seems to get s little overlooked here.

----

Never mind I answered my own question, QQ3DS is a SKYclone with an R4i wood card. I think I'll go with this, I'm looking for GBA compatibility plus the DS component.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about this new QQ3DS, I here some good things about it now and then however it seems to get s little overlooked here.

----

Never mind I answered my own question, QQ3DS is a SKYclone with an R4i wood card. I think I'll go with this, I'm looking for GBA compatibility plus the DS component.

I'd go with QQ3DS definitely, because it's literally the exact same cart as sky3DS (aka a sky3DS with a new sticker), plus you get an r4i with it as a nice bonus.

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Gateway supports eshop games, DLC and modded games (e.g. unofficial translation or undub).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: