Hacking Homebrew I’m trying to get Swiss on the Wii for Mario Eclipse but I’m having problems

JellyFishPaint

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD Gecko doesn't work as a memory card, but I think Swiss has memory card emulation, not sure how compatible it is as I've never used it, but should be in the Swiss settings. I use an official 1019 block memory card, plenty of space for any game I could want to play and it was only like $20.
So I set up the memory card emulation like you said and found out a few things. So memory card emulation works almost every time except with games that use audio streaming. Games with audio streaming cannot be saved using this method. which game of choice has audio streaming? Super Mario Eclipse lmao. So it can’t be saved unfortunately using this method but memory card emulation works for 99% of the other games that don’t use audio steaming.
Post automatically merged:

You're welcome. :)

Yes, you need to set up Swiss for memory card emulation to use your SD Card to save games. Memory Cards run in EXI mode, SD Cards in SPI mode. Games that aren't certain Japanese versions of Animal Crossing have no idea how to even talk to SD Cards. I would recommend against using the official 1019 block (8 MB) memory card, because they seem to have a far higher than normal failure rate, especially on the Wii.

I mainly use Swiss to load Crystal Chronicles on the Wii, because Nintendont doesn't support 576p and Devolution doesn't support retail discs, and I use my childhood memory card (256 blocks, AKA 2 MB if anyone's curious - Colosseum Mega Pak!) to save that game, so I'm not too familiar with enabling it. From what I can gather (this info is a few years old) you need to enable Boot from IPL for the emulation to work.

On the GameCube I use it for my Game Boy Player because Game Boy Interface is great and I also got it cheap because it didn't have the Start-Up Disk. To boot Swiss there I use an Action Replay disk and a copy of Swiss called "autoexec.dol" - gotta love FAT32 eh? No hardlinking! (Then again if I really cared I could recompile Wii Swiss Booter to look for autoexec.dol so eh)
Unfortunately the emulation doesn’t work with games that have audio streaming. So I bought a memory card to put in slot A. It should be here tomorrow. We are super excited.

Anyway, thank you all so much for taking the time out of your day and helping me out. I seriously appreciate it so much. You guys are awesome. Cant wait to play the levels that the little one will ultimately get stuck on. Time to relive my childhood!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So I set up the memory card emulation like you said and found out a few things. So memory card emulation works almost every time except with games that use audio streaming. Games with audio streaming cannot be saved using this method. which game of choice has audio streaming? Super Mario Eclipse lmao. So it can’t be saved unfortunately using this method but memory card emulation works for 99% of the other games that don’t use audio steaming.

Unfortunately the emulation doesn’t work with games that have audio streaming. So I bought a memory card to put in slot A. It should be here tomorrow. We are super excited.

Anyway, thank you all so much for taking the time out of your day and helping me out. I seriously appreciate it so much. You guys are awesome. Cant wait to play the levels that the little one will ultimately get stuck on. Time to relive my childhood!
Right. Apparently, apart from audio streaming games, games that require disc read speed emulation will also not work with virtual memory cards. There's only one of those: Tales of Symphonia.
It's apparently a limitation of not having enough free system resources, so it's unlikely it will ever change.

I expect Mario Eclipse will get fixed on Nintendont since it does support audio streaming so it's probably a bug specific with that game. Could also be a 32k alignment issue since Nintendont expects games to be 32k aligned and it causes issues with audio streaming games if they aren't. Official clean rips are always 32k aligned but the mod creator may not have taken care to 32k align the files during the patching process. It's simple to 32k align the files afterwards using certain tools.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Makes sense that Swiss would run into hard limits on resources - the GCN was never designed for loading games off of things that aren't the optical drive.

komakaji

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
guys i'm writing here because i don't know who to ask. i managed to get mario eclipse on swiss to work but the same lag that is on the gamecube is also on the wii. does anyone have an idea why this happens?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.