ROM Hack Im thinking about porting the snes english translation to the gba version, but I have some questions

ComicMaster148

Angry Blackman, and amaetur game collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My question what are some universal tools do you recommend I use? And what important advice do you recommend I should know? The name of the game im looking to work on is Shin megami tensei 1

Last edited by ComicMaster148,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"universal tools" is not a thing in ROM hacking. There are a thousand different ways devs might approach the notion of putting text on screen (and anything goes in games) so anything vaguely resembling a generic program would see someone have to hack every single game (some arcade systems have this as they might only have 20 games and a few region dupes, anything resembling a console not so much) or be so complicated as to be a programming language unto itself.

You then get to pull apart the game you want to look out, figure out how it works, what you might want to change (you can make things better, make things simpler, might not need certain functionality for your works) and possibly repeat for the other game (most ports between similar power systems stay relatively similar but not always and probably still enough you get to pull apart effectively two games).

Guide to hacking GBA and DS games
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2016-edition-out.73394/

You will probably want to learn table making, possibly enough graphics to hack a font, extraction can be done in various ways but probably worth looking into Atlas and Cartographer but some also like Kruptar 7, those might help with insertion of text but pointers will also want to be learned, bonus is GBA stuff is usually pretty simple and SNES stuff has its quirks but is not so bad once you figure out the lorom-hirom stuff.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I would highly recommend picking a different game to learn romhacking on first.

This game uses multiple different character encoding schemes and is in general very unfriendly to hacking.
But if you insist I would highly suggest finding the android port and looking at its elf file which contains many of the original gba function names.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up