Hardware I'm still here waiting what the Tegra X1 custom is capable of...

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Every time Nintendo releases a new console, it gets the same pessimistic reaction. "Will fail in 2 weeks lol" or "too weak and sucks"
It's either coming from someone who's a fanboy of the other consoles, or someone who wants it but just can't afford it.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
wait, doesn't this confirm Eurogamer's own initial leak (sadly) about the custom Tegra X1 capability? which should puts the switch a bit lower than half the XboxOne performance when docked, if I understand correctly
You don't understand correctly. The Eurogamer specs listed a stock X1, and it's immediately obvious that's not what's in Switch when you look at any number of tear downs. It's a custom Tegra at least 50% more powerful than X1, and that's before even accounting for the 30% performance boost when comparing to GCN (architecture in XB1/PS4).

Even when it was first published the Eurogamer article had the caveat in it that there was the feeling it was an incomplete or outdated spec. We can definitely confirm that now that Switch is released.

Last edited by Xzi,

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanna know if it can run Playstation 2 or Gamecube games.

The Switch looks like it will be awesome for emulators.

lenitao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't understand correctly. The Eurogamer specs listed a stock X1, and it's immediately obvious that's not what's in Switch when you look at any number of tear downs. It's a custom Tegra at least 50% more powerful than X1, and that's before even accounting for the 30% performance boost when comparing to GCN (architecture in XB1/PS4).

Even when it was first published the Eurogamer article had the caveat in it that there was the feeling it was an incomplete or outdated spec. We can definitely confirm that now that Switch is released.

honestly, I really hope you are right

obviously I'm not an expert in the topic, I just compare the numbers

what about this tear-down? aren't these the same numbers Eurogamer posted some months ago?

I thought that the Foxconn leak was the one that placed the Switch near to XboxOne in performance, which leak is not real obviously

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
what about this tear-down? aren't these the same numbers Eurogamer posted some months ago?

I thought that the Foxconn leak was the one that placed the Switch near to XboxOne in performance, which leak is not real obviously
That tear down is also listing stock X1 specs. It was just an assumption that proved to be wrong. Whether the Foxconn leaks were real or just a guess is debatable, but Switch is about 80% - 85% as powerful as XB1 in practice.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That tear down is also listing stock X1 specs. It was just an assumption that proved to be wrong. Whether the Foxconn leaks were real or just a guess is debatable, but Switch is about 80% - 85% as powerful as XB1 in practice.

Which, for being also something on the go, is impressive.

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's honestly a lot better than I thought it was, my more generous estimate was that it was going to be 60% as powerful as a xb1.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Hikenkami

Trophies
XP
Country
France
switch is actually kinda technically impressive...just not from a graphic standpoint

It IS impressive from a graphic standpoint, if you take into account it is a handheld console. And clearly, if what Xzi is saying is true, if it is a custom X1 50% more powerful, you are all in for a treat. The "home" X1 in the Nvidia Shield Android TV is capable of butter-smooth 60 fps 4K video display, and if you never seen a game run on it, I recommend you check something in the lines of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, to get an idea. That chip is a total monster. And we get something more powerful? I love this console a little more with each passing minute.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It IS impressive from a graphic standpoint, if you take into account it is a handheld console. And clearly, if what Xzi is saying is true, if it is a custom X1 50% more powerful, you are all in for a treat. The "home" X1 in the Nvidia Shield Android TV is capable of butter-smooth 60 fps 4K video display, and if you never seen a game run on it, I recommend you check something in the lines of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, to get an idea. That chip is a total monster. And we get something more powerful? I love this console a little more with each passing minute.

Alas, same here. I fear I'll bite, in the end, and buy it.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by grossaffe, , Reason: Dark_Ansem seemed to think having this in chronological order mattered

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes, although with this SoC Nintendo had the option for 1080p60 or 4K output (for video), and they went with 1080p60. OTOH if you want an inexpensive 4K streaming device, those are plentiful, so Nintendo went for the gaming-centric option here.

Hikenkami

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, although with this SoC Nintendo had the option for 1080p60 or 4K output (for video), and they went with 1080p60. OTOH if you want an inexpensive 4K streaming device, those are plentiful, so Nintendo went for the gaming-centric option here.

Man, the 4K choice would have been dumb, we know that by offering something along the lines of 1080p60 they can offer stunning visual effects, and a perfect experience. Let the big guns that are Sony and Microsoft gunning their 4K resolutions, and lets all enjoy a good Super Mario Odyssey :D (or even, if I may be allowed to dream, a Monster Hunter on Switch XD )

Reactions: Xzi and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And your contribution to this thread is 0%.
Your contributions to it are baseless speculation, childish insults, and hollow comparisons. Tell me, who is contributing less?

The reality is that the Switch is something of a different beast. You can't compare it to PC level graphics.. And you can hardly compare it to the Xbox and PS4. I mean, it's great seeing that it's just a few steps down from the one.. But we still have no idea what to expect.

Last edited by Kioku,

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your contributions to it are speculation, insults, and hollow comparisons. Tell me, who is contributing less?

The reality is that the Switch is something of a different beast. You can't compare it to PC level graphics.. And you can hardly compare it to the Xbox and PS4. I mean, it's great seeing that it's just a few steps down from the one.. But we still have no idea what to expect.

You are. EoS. Insults that exist in your head only.
Speculation is what I have, considering I still have to pocket myself for this and/or, despite the switch being in my amazon wishlist, I didn't think of pre-ordering it.

Which, in hindsight, is probably good because I have loads to do and losing myself in BotW... while tempting, it might NOT be a good idea.

The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Hilarious. Perhaps you'd consider quoting me in correct order.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time Nintendo releases a new console, it gets the same pessimistic reaction. "Will fail in 2 weeks lol" or "too weak and sucks"
It's either coming from someone who's a fanboy of the other consoles, or someone who wants it but just can't afford it.
The wii u did fail and i bought it in its year of release. I'm in my right to be pissed off and unsure of the switch future.

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong