Hacking I'm not getting the letterbomb in my message board.

pantsofjoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to letterbomb my wii for over a month. Put in my mac address on the site and nothing comes up in my message board. I picked up a 2nd wii on black friday and tried its mac address and nothing comes up either.
I've tried the wii-brand mod and the latest modwii mod and the computer stopped downloading it. Whats the easiest method to mod a 4.3u without using a game?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I've been trying to letterbomb my wii for over a month. Put in my mac address on the site and nothing comes up in my message board. I picked up a 2nd wii on black friday and tried its mac address and nothing comes up either.
I've tried the wii-brand mod and the latest modwii mod and the computer stopped downloading it. Whats the easiest method to mod a 4.3u without using a game?
That should be the easiest/only way without a game ...
- are you sure you've checked the next day/previous day for the message?
- Sometimes it takes a moment to show up.
- I've also had it sometimes end up behind another envelope so you could try moving around the ones that are already on the screen.
- I've also noticed that even if it shows up on "today" you'd have to go to "yesterday" and then come back to "today" again for it to work.
- I think it also has to be a SD card (2gb or smaller) and that even though 4.x system menu versions can use SDHC (4gb or bigger) for games/saves, they don't see them very well for the message board.

I hope something of those suggestions helps you.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the date correct on the Wii? The date the bomb letter shows up on depends on when it's generated. Due to different time zones, this can sometime be interpreted as the day before or after creation. If the date on the Wii isn't correct, then it won't be under today, tomorrow, or yesterday.

Also, "I picked up a 2nd wii on black friday and tried its mac address and nothing comes up either." That doesn't mean you tried to mac address of the new Wii to generate the hack for the old Wii, does it? Just to be clear, the mac address has to match the Wii you're trying to hack.

pantsofjoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That should be the easiest/only way without a game ...
- are you sure you've checked the next day/previous day for the message?
- Sometimes it takes a moment to show up.
- I've also had it sometimes end up behind another envelope so you could try moving around the ones that are already on the screen.
- I've also noticed that even if it shows up on "today" you'd have to go to "yesterday" and then come back to "today" again for it to work.
- I think it also has to be a SD card (2gb or smaller) and that even though 4.x system menu versions can use SDHC (4gb or bigger) for games/saves, they don't see them very well for the message board.

I hope something of those suggestions helps you.

Yea, the date is correct(12-08-13) and i read every message that comes through the message board. I figured nintendo is blocking any letterbomb or something. Maybe my settings(wiiconnect24) are off to accept messages outside of nintendo.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Sorry, this seams really obvious, but the way you worded this sounds like you just entered your mac address on the site then waited for the message on the wii. Just to be sure, after entering the address on the site on your computer, it gave you a zip file, which you then extracted to the root of your sd card, and then you put that sd card in your wii, right?

Reactions: cearp

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
the way SD card is formatted... FAT32,etc... try different and may appear. I had issue like this until I formatted to different type many time ago.

pantsofjoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if i fill in my mac address and fill in the captcha, it does not automatic-ly send the letterbomb to my wii?

Do i extract all the files that i download or just the private file?

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So if i fill in my mac address and fill in the captcha, it does not automatic-ly send the letterbomb to my wii?

Do i extract all the files that i download or just the private file?

No, you have to extract the downloaded files to an SD card, and then put that in your wii, then open the message board. Now the letterbomb message should show up.

BTW, if you use ModMii (it's in the stickies), it will download everything you need, and generate a custom guide to help you through the process. This includes letterbomb, and also setting up usb loaders, cIOSs and all that stuff as well. Might be easier than you trying to figure out how to do all that on your own.

pantsofjoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the last 2 weeks of mildly trying,
- i checked to see if the sd card was formatted to fat32. It was formatted correctly.
- I put the sd card in the wii to see if the wii was able to read card. I downloaded a free game on the wii store and played it from the sd card memory.
- I deleted the sd card and tried again to put in my mac address-download the complete file to the sd card and put it in the wii. Played a game so i would have a message in the box. I still have not gotten a letterbomb message.I've gone into the sd card setting on the wii and nothing came up.
Was i supposed to change the file name to ".old"? Also i'm using a sandisk micro-sdhc card. I tried the modmii download a few weeks back and it stopped downloading(60%) but i have some of the icons on my desktop.

j1ggy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just registered to post here. I've softmodded over a dozen Wii systems myself for friends and family, with several methods over the past five years. To my surprise, I could not get into this one tonight. I tried using Modmii, please.hackmii.com and Wilbrand to no avail. SD card after SD card and the envelope would not show up in my messages. Finally, on the sixth SD card, it worked. So please, if you're having this issue, try a handful of SD cards. The one I used was formatted to FAT16, but I've had success with FAT32 in the past so I don't think this is an issue. I don't know if there is a problem with this particular SD card slot or not, but it seems to be working fine as I back up the NAND. To rule out the SD card slot, try backing up a channel or virtual console game to your SD card and loading it from there.

Wiiandstuff

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
MOVE THE CONTENTS OF THE LETTERBOMB FOLDER TO THE ROOT OF THE SD CARD. i.e.. you will now have the boot elf and read me texts on the root of the sd. This worked for me and I tried: several sd cards (2gb, 8gb, 8gb), formatting both the wii and the cards (to fat32 of course, using a mac this can be done easily in terminal or format the card through your handy dslr camera, whichever is more convenient), i sent memos to myself, i tried messing with wiiconnect and registration, redownloading the letter bomb, blue wire and red wire downloads.

Again, because this might help a lot of people: drag out the contents of your unzipped letter bomb folder into the root of your sd card. I hope it works!

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Sorry, this seams really obvious, but the way you worded this sounds like you just entered your mac address on the site then waited for the message on the wii. Just to be sure, after entering the address on the site on your computer, it gave you a zip file, which you then extracted to the root of your sd card, and then you put that sd card in your wii, right?
that was brave of you to consider that the person was that 'unaware', but good move! :)

Gallito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the exact problem I'm having right now. Trying to softmod a Wii (the 5th one I've done) and can't get the Letterbomb to show up. I've tried modmii and please.hackmii with multiple SD cards. I even erased the contents of the SD card on my personal Wii and placed the boot.elf and private folder generated with the mac address of the current Wii I'm trying to softmod om it. Any ideas to what I could be missing? Date and time on the Wii are correct. I look weeks past and ahead. It's not behind another letter. All SD cards are formatted to FAT32 and primary. Does 32k cluster matter like on the usb loaders? That's the only thing i haven't tried...

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is the exact problem I'm having right now. Trying to softmod a Wii (the 5th one I've done) and can't get the Letterbomb to show up. I've tried modmii and please.hackmii with multiple SD cards. I even erased the contents of the SD card on my personal Wii and placed the boot.elf and private folder generated with the mac address of the current Wii I'm trying to softmod om it. Any ideas to what I could be missing? Date and time on the Wii are correct. I look weeks past and ahead. It's not behind another letter. All SD cards are formatted to FAT32 and primary. Does 32k cluster matter like on the usb loaders? That's the only thing i haven't tried...

Make sure the MAC is correct, but other than that I can't think of what could be wrong. You could try it on your own Wii and see if it works. If it does then maybe it is just a problem with that particular wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto