Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
gloweyjoey said:
spinal_cord said:
Zetta_x said:
It doesn't say that if you use IE your have a low IQ.

It says that people who have a low IQ on average use IE.

On average, if you have a low IQ, you probably are not very logical or a person with common sense. If you do not have a lot of common sense, chances are you do not understand technology or computers. Yet, people who don't understand technology or computers still use them along with windows. IE is the default internet browser for windows.

It makes sense why this is true. They would find that people who use linux distributions have a higher IQ than average vs Windows users. It's not saying that windows users are dumb, it's saying that pretty much everyone gets dumped into windows unless you are more technical savy to use linux distributions.

---

I love how people think they don't have low IQ but they don't know anything about logic and misunderstand what is being said (because they make a logic error)

So you're saying that anyone intelligent must logically use linux because it's 'better'? imo people only prefer linux because it's free.
His statement doesn't imply linux is better than windows at all.....

As a whole, the comments imply that Windows users don't understand technology and that people who understand technology will use linux. He suggests that linux is a more 'logical' choice. I fail to see how a choice made by a more logical person with a higher IQ would be worse (not better) than the choice made by a less intelligent illogical person. Therefore, the more 'logical' and 'intelligent' the choice, the 'better' the outcome.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
As a whole, the comments imply that Windows users don't understand technology and that people who understand technology will use linux. He suggests that linux is a more 'logical' choice. I fail to see how a choice made by a more logical person with a higher IQ would be worse (not better) than the choice made by a less intelligent illogical person. Therefore, the more 'logical' and 'intelligent' the choice, the 'better' the outcome.

I realize you posted 2 minutes after I edited my post, but I realize what my post sounded like and it was not what I intended to say. For some reason I had in my mind of what not to say but the sentence was implying that was what I was saying making it redundant and a bad combination.

If you look back at my post, I have edited my post before you even posted to what I really wanted to say which was "It requires a bit more knowledge and logical factors to use a linux distribution"

It doesn't imply windows users are dumb, it implies it requires a bit more logical thinking and knowledge about computers to use some of the most common linux distributions. But it's true, if you wanted to own a computer and you have absolutely no idea how to use a computer, there is a higher probability that you would pick windows over ubuntu which would explain the higher proportions of people who use windows than ubuntu since not many people understand computers.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The graph says that people with lower IQ's tend to use IE. It's a perfect reasonable study (if the survey was random) and it's pretty much correct.

Imagine if you had an IQ of 30. Chances are, you can't comprehend how technology and computers operate. However, you decide to purchase a computer. You go to Best Buy or Walmart because for some reason that's where the average person who knows nothing of electronics go to. You buy a Windows PC (if not a mac, but mac tends to scare some people away). You know nothing of this windows PC except how to use the internet and use Microsoft Word. What internet browser comes with a windows PC? Internet Explorer... not firefox, not chrome, not anything else.

It makes perfect sense, the average person (while it is improving over the years) does not know a lot about computers. They may know how to use one, they may even know how to download, install and configure some things, but the majority does not know how it works at a technical level. Which implies that there are some people (not with 30 IQ obviously but lower than average IQ) which fall into that above position.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I'm gonna throw this in.

QUOTE said:
Is this purely IQ, or is this whether the people are tech savvy?

I know a lot of very intelligent people, who don't give a sh** about computers and software, the machines are installed for them and they can just about use them, because they aren't important to the tasks to which they direct their intelligence.

My mother used to work for a very intelligent physicist. She was brilliant in her field, but couldn't drive, couldn't cook for herself and she used to write all of his cheques, because she couldn't get his head around such "wastes of time", which disturbed her from her work.

I bet she now uses IE, because that is what her computer came installed with. Does using IE suddenly make a major physicist dumb?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, using IE doesn't make you dumb. It implies people who are dumb are using IE. It isn't saying that if you are dumb, you use IE either. It says on average people with lower IQ tend to use IE.

There are a lot of people in this world, of course you are going to find counter-examples which is why it is more 'On Average' Vs 'It's always this way'.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh please.. It is just an opinion and not a fact. Silly. I am using firefox for over 5 years if I remember correct. Its great.

gloweyjoey

who??
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dter ic said:
I'm gonna throw this in.

QUOTE said:
Is this purely IQ, or is this whether the people are tech savvy?

I know a lot of very intelligent people, who don't give a sh** about computers and software, the machines are installed for them and they can just about use them, because they aren't important to the tasks to which they direct their intelligence.

My mother used to work for a very intelligent physicist. She was brilliant in her field, but couldn't drive, couldn't cook for herself and she used to write all of his cheques, because she couldn't get his head around such "wastes of time", which disturbed her from her work.

I bet she now uses IE, because that is what her computer came installed with. Does using IE suddenly make a major physicist dumb?
The answer to that question is NO and if you read the article it the group is clearly saying Using IE does NOT make someone have a low IQ or is "DUMB". (I put dumb in quotes because the word was never used in the article, it was first used in this thread by a troll). It's stating that people with low IQs are less tech savvy and is in no way saying that using IE suddenly means the person doesn't have normal or high IQ.

"What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.[/p]

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GloweyJoey, you are my hero for understanding what most people will never be able to comprehend.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Guess what guys? It was all an elaborate hoax, bull hockey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14386833

You can't deny the inkling truth though, that if someone today is using IE6 of all things, they probably aren't too smart.

Which is pretty consistent with the data anomaly. Despite all the people saying IE6 users should be dumb this would be highly unlikely. IE6 is still one of the most widely used browsers especially in corporations. Thus it should have a distribution similar to the general population. The same would be true of most browsers as despite the fact that users of such browsers think they're 'smarter' the distribution of IQ amongst them should be similar to the general population, and thus be centered around 100.

Basically anyone claiming they're 'smarter' for not using IE6 or affirming the 'stupidity' of IE6 users simply was showing their own ignorance and bias about how IQ scoring is done.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
now theres 2 threads like this in here
rofl.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Might as well quote myself from the other thread.

cwstjdenobs said:
Biggest problem is for the results to be accurate or fair everyone has to take a different test. I.e. you'd give a physicist a different test to a, oh say street cleaner of the same age. And that physicist would have to answer what would look like harder questions right (in some sections) to get the same score. Now you have to do the same sort of tuning by where someone lives and grows up etc. So you wouldn't give a 14 year old from a 1st world country the same test as a kid growing up in the majority of sub-Saharan Africa. Or even adults from the same places.

Now when it comes to this study it wouldn't surprise me if they gave the same test to everyone. Those using opera are paying so probably better off (on average) than those using anything else, so they probably also have good educations, come from richer countries etc. Where a lot of those still using IE6 are probably using it because that's all the machines they can afford to access can handle. So you'll have a lot of 1st world professionals taking the same test as a lot of 3rd world labourers, where these populations will not have an even representation across browsers.

Oh and RuppeeClock, your link 404's

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up