If you could program - what Game would you do

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by CannonFoddr, Aug 7, 2009.

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Ok so you've seen all these official games from Nintendo - some are great, some good, some fair - while others get you thinking
    'That's total C*** - I can come up with a better game than that....'

So here's your chance
    Just post your idea - give a little description of the game (No long storylines please), add some details on the type of gameplay (maybe use existing DS games as an example), & if you're good at Sketching/Computer graphics maybe add either a Mock screenshot or Developer Sketch

Who knows - maybe a homebrew developer will think it's a good idea for a game & produce it !! (If any developers do - don't forget to add credit the person who's idea it was originally)

Here's a couple of my ideas as examples:

Example 1:
    Game: Iso-Tron
    Description: Basically a TRON-Light cycle style game but viewed in an 'Isometric' form (Similar to 'Spyro' 3d effect) with your 'bike' fixed in the centre of the [top] screen & you can only see the immediate area around your bike (so fast reactions are required) of a larger play-field
    Gameplay: Avoid the opposition Light cycle & win. Winning offers Money which you can then use to purchase 'Add-ons'.
    a couple of examples add-ons are:-
    'Bike-Boost': Short burst of speed to help overtake
    'Side Bumpers': Activate causes any bike next to you to get bumped across (preferably into a wall/tail)
    'Rockets': Blast a hole in a 'tail' directly in front of you to allow you to pass through unharmed

You have limited 'spaces' on your bike to place add-ons [shown & activated on bottom touch screen - along with a plan view of the play area(which may not necessary be 'square')] so before each 'race' you are informed of your opposition & then decide on what items you may need to equip it with (a bit like Elite's 'ship equipping')

Example 2:
    Game: Vortex minefield
    Description: If anyone can remember it, way back there was a Kids TV show called 'The Adventure Game'. This is based on the Final [turn based] game of the show
    Gameplay: You move across a 'floating' maze-like platform (larger than the DS screen - so you only see a small portion of it at a time), either forwards/backwards or sidewards.
    You must avoid an invisible moving 'vortex' (or Mine), which can only move forward or sidewards (harder levels may allow it to move backwards as well).
    After you move one place then the vortex is allowed to move one place (it tries to home in on you).
    The vortex CANNOT move onto the same space as you BUT YOU can step onto the space occupied by the Vortex (then it's game Over/Life lost)

After each 'round' you succeed in winning you get points based on how long it took you (bonus points if you're quick enough,or if you collect 'special pick-ups' during game) - which can be swapped for add-ons like:-
    Sonar: As Vortex gets closer to you - pinging sound speeds up
    Compass: An Arrow points in the general direction of the vortex (but doesn't tell you how far away it is)
    Proximity Alarm: If Vortex is within 1 space of you - Border of screen turns red
    Repel: Once activated will cause Vortex to move AWAY from you for a limited time as you move
    (other add-on ideas exist)

You can only carry 1 item (bonus point pick-ups don't count) & any that you may pick-up during the game (as you play the level you will see pick-up scattered around the platform) will automatically replace any you have.
    Level difficulty is achieved by the size/shape/layout of the floating platform (some paths may end up as dead end), AI of Vortex, Bonus Timer, & number of Random pick-up in maze/platform

====================

If you can't think of a game - then why not rate on the suggestions given, give a 5 ***** (star) rating on:
    Originality: Is it really an Original idea for a game or just another 'clone' that's been done xxx times before
    Playability: Would it 'last' - does it have the possibility of having that 'Just one more go' effect - does it have expansion possibilities (new 'add-on' weapons packs perhaps) or would it be boring & repetitive
    Possibility: Could such a game actually be made ?
    Interest: Would YOU actually download & try the game out - or just totally ignore it

2. djshok

Newcomer djshok Member

Canada
    I'd make a DS port of Sonic CD, like they did with Quake and Quake II. Hell I'd even offer money and support to anyone willing to do this.

3. euanadixon

Newcomer euanadixon Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    FF7 Remake [​IMG]

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    I don't know... Pong, maybe?

5. dudenator

Member dudenator King of the Carts

Canada
    I would make an Takashi's castle (or MXC) game. You could do the rock jump, barrel roll and all of the other memorable games.

6. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Game: Syblargh Tactics
    Looks: like a Final fantasy tactics clone, but better.
    Characters: Cyborgs of 5 races, Human, Demon, Angelic, Golem, Synthetic.
    Description: Build your special Ops team, earn and learn new skills, use the traits of your race to turn the tide of battle in your favor, class system allows for a greater skill set for your warriors. Weapons fall under three catagories: Long range, Short range, Close combat.

7. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Kingdom Phoenix
    Looks: Phoenix Wright and Sora combine their ultimate powers!
    Characters: Disney, FF's , KH, and PW
    Description: Phoenix and Sora go around fighting criminals and heartless? Awesome!

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    A turn based action RPG. Essentially, you take turns, but after you select your method of attack, your character is free roaming so you can approach the character, do combos, etc, until your time is up for that character, then the next character does the same thing, etc. Combos could also be done with magic and specials. That's a general game idea though, probably not homebrew material.

9. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    fire emblem platform game like that zelda ds game

10. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    The return of tactics ogre/ogre battle!!!!!

11. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    A guitar tuner that would help you tune guitars into all different tunings. It could utilise the mic and tell you up or down on the top screen and you can switch which tuning you want with the touch screen. It could also play the sound and help you tune by ear.

EDIT: Oh I didn't realise it was for games.... but it's an idea anyway ~.~

12. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    GBAtemp strip show ds bricker?

a vid showing costello stripping but also bricking ur ds in return? [​IMG]

13. GenesisX

Member GenesisX GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Lol Sora is a lawyer and Heartless are the criminals [​IMG]

Sora: This "man" has brutally assulted Riku!
    Judge: is this true?
    Heartless: Yes, but then the lawyer killed my brother,uncle,dad,(insert list here)

14. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    CLONK!
    http://www.clonk.de/

i don't know what category it is (adventure sim maybe?)
    but it's really original and nothing for ds compares to it ^^
    it's extremely fun (and way more easy to play with the ds)
    if this gets on ds it has to have multiplayer and wi-fi support
    IT IS AW3SOME XD

srry for mah bad english [​IMG]

15. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    a browser based rpg like phantasyrpg
    with the combination of a flashmade overworld that doesn't have to load constantly
    where you simply move on a biiiig map
    and randomly encounter monsters
    you can job change etc etc
    thats what i would make

16. lord0fshred

Member lord0fshred GBAtemp Regular

United States
    An entertaining FPS with multiplayer and Wifi support, but with also a solid single player mode that includes deathmatch against cpu, sort of like unreal tournament. i haven't seen one of those yet.

17. mauripena

Newcomer mauripena Advanced Member

Greece
    something like Unreal Tournament?

18. Optimatum

Newcomer Optimatum Member

Singapore
    KiriKiri engine for DS. Fate is just boring when using ONScripter.

19. solidsnake13

Newcomer solidsnake13 Member

United States
    A 2D remake of FF VII and IX

20. robgraves

Newcomer robgraves Advanced Member

United States
    X-COM for DS