If hacking your wii was illegal?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mauifrog, Mar 20, 2012.

?

What would you do?

1. Be a rebel and hack the shit out of it.

65 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. Be straight edge and leave it as the manufacture intended.

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
Mar 20, 2012
  1. mauifrog
    OP

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Depending on where you live, modding your wii, or any device you own is likely legal (perhaps not). What if it was illegal to make any user modifications to a device designed by the manufacture to prevent it? Would you do it?

Depending on how you look at it, it probably is already illegal since most wii modification bypass Nintendo's encryption, which we are not supposed to be-able to do.

Anyway, there is always a lot of talk about legal, illegal, etc. So, lets assume for a moment that the new world order takes over the planet, and it is 100% illegal to make any modifications to any hardware that would be considered unauthorized my the manufacture. What would you do?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Pirating games is illegal and I think it's safe to assume that most of the Temp's forum users still do it.

Does that answer your question?

1 person likes this.
  3. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I'd probably do it anyway. I guess it really depends what the risks of getting caught were, as well as the punishment.

If it was a slap on the wrist and a disapproving look, I would risk it. If it was the death penalty or watching one of the Twilight movies, I wouldn't.

3 people like this.
  4. DeadlyFoez
    This message by DeadlyFoez has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Mar 20, 2012
  5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it is illegal...to ninty :creep:

hack the shit out of it.!

1 person likes this.
  6. MENU!

Newcomer MENU! Newbie

United States
    If hacking the wii was illegal, I'd have another day added to my hypothetical jail sentance...

7. shortz1994
    This message by shortz1994 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Mar 21, 2012
  8. DeadlyFoez
    This message by DeadlyFoez has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Mar 21, 2012
  9. Thesolcity
    This message by Thesolcity has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Mar 21, 2012
  10. shortz1994
    This message by shortz1994 has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 3, 2016.
    Mar 21, 2012
  11. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Wait. Hacking your wii ISNT illegal?

3 people like this.
  12. shortz1994
    Mar 21, 2012
  13. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    About as useful as asking "If piracy was illegal, would you still do it"?

Of course we would.

1 person likes this.
  14. bwood01

Newcomer bwood01 Newbie

United States
    [​IMG]Does that answer your question?

15. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i would like to offer a different perspective. i do not pirate nds roms, due to a disinterest in ds software. but i do have dsi capable flash kits which are 100% illegal to use as they have a portion of an actual rom as the bootloader. they are illegal and i use them everyday, i do so to play homebrew. if it was not for homebrew i don't think i would really care much about the ds/dsi.

-another world

16. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    I'd do it anyway. While an original game/cartridge has some special value, the fact you can re-use the console's hardware to different purposes is beautiful! (even if it's illegal)

17. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Ok, lets reverse this question. For all you hill billies out there: If having sex with your sister was legal, would you still do it?

5 people like this.
  18. mauifrog
    OP

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Of course, it would be unnatural not to. I mean god gave me a sister for a reason right?

6 people like this.
  19. crelbik

Newcomer crelbik Newbie

United States
    I would still modify my device. Especially on the Wii. There are many great homebrew programs on wii (such as Wiimc and Wii xplorer) that i use constantly and with no illegal actions taking place.

Also, let me thank you, mauifrog, as it was by your guide that I was able to succesfully hack my wii.

20. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    So those videos that you are watching on WiiMC were legally obtained? Probably not. ;)

Back on topic. I know that I hack nearly everything that I own, even down to the light for my fish bowl. The idea of hacking is to extend the functionality or improving something beyond what the manufacturer intended. I don't honestly care at all about how the laws spell it out, if I paid for it then I will use it how ever I want to.

3 people like this.
  21. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    As KaKaRoTo would say, adding salt to your meal is hacking it, lol

1 person likes this.
  22. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    It would be harder to get the needed stuff or correct info, but I'd still attempt to do so.

There's this saying: "the more laws, the less justice". That pretty much sums things up: it's not because some law tells people to do things in a certain way that it is the best way.
    There's this crossroad next to my house. People crossed there without problems for years (or even centuries). Now the government puts up traffic lights. So now at certain times it's illegal to cross, independent of safety. Result: I break that law almost on a daily basis because I'm usually the very first person to be awake and I can't be arsed to follow a law by the letter because it totally misses to follow its intentions.

23. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Team Twiizers wouldn't be open about all this (they presented the Twiizer Attack at a conference) if it was 100% illegal, so I'm sure hacking would be much harder.

24. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    I don't pirate games ^_^ i hardly even play them actually.

now music.. that's a different story but fk the RIAA so who cares.

anyways I'm not a hacker but yeah I would "hack my wii" so I can do everything I want on a console that I bought with my hard earned cash

pretty sure that team twiizers announced their work at a C3 conference..the same conference that fail0verflow announced their work a couple years later. only thing is, nintendo was sane and didn't try to sue the shit out of everyone who participated and "demand the return of their files" xD

25. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    srry double post i'm a noob

26. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    I would. All my consoles are hacked or has a flashcard and whatever plus it gives it alot more features than it was originally intended which would make it better.

Ummm...how is that related to this poll I have no idea but I don't have a sister to begin with >_>