Hacking If hacking your wii was illegal?

What would you do?

• Be a rebel and hack the shit out of it.

Votes: 66 94.3%
  • Be straight edge and leave it as the manufacture intended.

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Depending on where you live, modding your wii, or any device you own is likely legal (perhaps not). What if it was illegal to make any user modifications to a device designed by the manufacture to prevent it? Would you do it?

Depending on how you look at it, it probably is already illegal since most wii modification bypass Nintendo's encryption, which we are not supposed to be-able to do.

Anyway, there is always a lot of talk about legal, illegal, etc. So, lets assume for a moment that the new world order takes over the planet, and it is 100% illegal to make any modifications to any hardware that would be considered unauthorized my the manufacture. What would you do?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably do it anyway. I guess it really depends what the risks of getting caught were, as well as the punishment.

If it was a slap on the wrist and a disapproving look, I would risk it. If it was the death penalty or watching one of the Twilight movies, I wouldn't.

Reactions: 3 people

bwood01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that answer your question?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i would like to offer a different perspective. i do not pirate nds roms, due to a disinterest in ds software. but i do have dsi capable flash kits which are 100% illegal to use as they have a portion of an actual rom as the bootloader. they are illegal and i use them everyday, i do so to play homebrew. if it was not for homebrew i don't think i would really care much about the ds/dsi.

-another world

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'd do it anyway. While an original game/cartridge has some special value, the fact you can re-use the console's hardware to different purposes is beautiful! (even if it's illegal)

crelbik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would still modify my device. Especially on the Wii. There are many great homebrew programs on wii (such as Wiimc and Wii xplorer) that i use constantly and with no illegal actions taking place.

Also, let me thank you, mauifrog, as it was by your guide that I was able to succesfully hack my wii.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
...There are many great homebrew programs on wii (such as Wiimc and Wii xplorer) that i use constantly and with no illegal actions taking place.
So those videos that you are watching on WiiMC were legally obtained? Probably not. ;)

Back on topic. I know that I hack nearly everything that I own, even down to the light for my fish bowl. The idea of hacking is to extend the functionality or improving something beyond what the manufacturer intended. I don't honestly care at all about how the laws spell it out, if I paid for it then I will use it how ever I want to.

Reactions: 3 people

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
...There are many great homebrew programs on wii (such as Wiimc and Wii xplorer) that i use constantly and with no illegal actions taking place.
So those videos that you are watching on WiiMC were legally obtained? Probably not. ;)

Back on topic. I know that I hack nearly everything that I own, even down to the light for my fish bowl. The idea of hacking is to extend the functionality or improving something beyond what the manufacturer intended. I don't honestly care at all about how the laws spell it out, if I paid for it then I will use it how ever I want to.
As KaKaRoTo would say, adding salt to your meal is hacking it, lol

Reactions: 1 person

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It would be harder to get the needed stuff or correct info, but I'd still attempt to do so.

There's this saying: "the more laws, the less justice". That pretty much sums things up: it's not because some law tells people to do things in a certain way that it is the best way.
There's this crossroad next to my house. People crossed there without problems for years (or even centuries). Now the government puts up traffic lights. So now at certain times it's illegal to cross, independent of safety. Result: I break that law almost on a daily basis because I'm usually the very first person to be awake and I can't be arsed to follow a law by the letter because it totally misses to follow its intentions.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pirating games is illegal and I think it's safe to assume that most of the Temp's forum users still do it.

Does that answer your question?

I don't pirate games ^_^ i hardly even play them actually.

now music.. that's a different story but fk the RIAA so who cares.

anyways I'm not a hacker but yeah I would "hack my wii" so I can do everything I want on a console that I bought with my hard earned cash

Team Twiizers wouldn't be open about all this (they presented the Twiizer Attack at a conference) if it was 100% illegal, so I'm sure hacking would be much harder.

pretty sure that team twiizers announced their work at a C3 conference..the same conference that fail0verflow announced their work a couple years later. only thing is, nintendo was sane and didn't try to sue the shit out of everyone who participated and "demand the return of their files" xD

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
I would. All my consoles are hacked or has a flashcard and whatever plus it gives it alot more features than it was originally intended which would make it better.

Ok, lets reverse this question. For all you hill billies out there: If having sex with your sister was legal, would you still do it?
Ummm...how is that related to this poll I have no idea but I don't have a sister to begin with >_>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: