Hacking If Gateway takes too long to launch 2.0 then....

angela18

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Gateway team takes too long to launch 2.0 then Nintendo might release a new Firmware and I believe eShop is not going to work again. Is this correct?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, the NAND emulation will work with any firmware unless they come up with something new to block it. Since it hasn't been released yet they probably won't do that.

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
We’re not fortune tellers here. We don’t know what Nintendo will bring with their new firmware.

If they don’t emplement any security measures, everything will be fine and you’ll be able to update emunand.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Of course, it is absolutely detectable, because there is no real way to redirect all accesses to the SD card. The only way is to patch the NATIVE_FIRM to use the SD card instead. If N releases a new firmware with a detection, maybe it fuck up your image (and possible your real NAND too) or won't boot, until the detection is patched.

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, it is absolutely detectable, because there is no real way to redirect all accesses to the SD card. The only way is to patch the NATIVE_FIRM to use the SD card instead. If N releases a new firmware with a detection, maybe it fuck up your image (and possible your real NAND too) or won't boot, until the detection is patched.

Although it's not like Nintendo to brick your device when detecting it... Keep your NAND backups :D

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think once NAND emulation is released, people will need to use carts to update as Nintendo will probably change the method they use to update so that it actually updates the NAND even when using NAND Emulation.

thatsit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

They would have to modify where the bootloader/bootrom loads the firmware from, not the firmware itself. The firmware doesn't "use the SD card instead", it's simply located there. When the firmware is loaded and running, it simply references memory addresses which are the same regardless of where it's located physically.

Also, they can't patch the firmware even if they wanted to; it's encrypted. If we could break the firmware encryption we'd have cfw.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

They would have to modify where the bootloader/bootrom loads the firmware from, not the firmware itself. The firmware doesn't "use the SD card instead", it's simply located there. When the firmware is loaded and running, it simply references memory addresses which are the same regardless of where it's located physically.
No, there is absolutely no way to modify the bootrom. It's not even read only. You only can patch the NATIVE_FIRM. That's how Gateways and smeas "NAND redirection" works.

Also, they can't patch the firmware even if they wanted to; it's encrypted. If we could break the firmware encryption we'd have cfw.

Of course, it is encrypted, but if you have code execution, you simply can decrypt it. And the signature doesn't matter, if you load it at runtime. If you flash it to your real NAND, then you have a brick, yes.

thatsit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, there is absolutely no way to modify the bootrom. It's not even read only. You only can patch the NATIVE_FIRM. That's how Gateways and smeas "NAND redirection" works.

Of course, it is encrypted, but if you have code execution, you simply can decrypt it. And the signature doesn't matter, if you load it at runtime. If you flash it to your real NAND, then you have a brick, yes.

Oh rofl I thought the 3DS was cold booting from the SD firmware. Yeah disregard what I said, I'm an idiot.

anon3536

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think it's sad that the whole chip decapping thing was a scam. Safe to say there will be no hacks for the 3ds except for 4.0-5.

it was no scam, the goal got updated to 2.5k because they want to make sure they have some extra to play with the system after the decap

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo