Hacking Id love a 32gb card but..........

Mrbob2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would be ace to have approx 1000 roms on the card, of course the problem then would be having to scroll for AGES trying to get to the game i wanted. So there are 2 things i would like on the next (or future) firmware release....

1. The ability to sort roms into folder A, B, C, D etc etc

2.The ability to ZIP roms!, this would allow twice the number of roms onto a card

Would the DS or flash card have problems supporting ZIP files or is it just a simple software/firmware solution?

Thanks for any advice

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
By the time 32GB MicroSDHCs are out, your DS will be absolute junk.

1. Do this on your operating system. You can create new folders to organize your roms yourself.
2. DS roms compress badly. Just trim them. I think there's a homebrew solution for ZIPs.

zannyuk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well my understanding is its a combination of internal memory and speed issues why the current firmwares dont support zip files. Im not convinced the ds could unzip a 1024Mbit rom but someone might come along and correct my amateur comments
smile.gif

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
chaotic_geo said:
Extracting ZIP/RAR files on a DS would take ages, besides why in God's name would you want to store 1000 games?

Pointless .
I would want to, It's cool to have the Full EU/US list of games on it so you can just pick any game you want from all the games ever made

chaotic_geo

Trophies
Website
thegamingforum.org
XP
Country
Hit said:
chaotic_geo said:
Extracting ZIP/RAR files on a DS would take ages, besides why in God's name would you want to store 1000 games?

Pointless .
I would want to, It's cool to have the Full EU/US list of games on it so you can just pick any game you want from all the games ever made

My definition of cool is a tad different
ph34r.gif

You'll be downloading, then copying then downloading..... lather, rinse, repeat...

- Increased chance killing the micro SD card;
- You will be playing games like Homie Rollerz;
- Loosing the little time a person has in this world;

And eventually give up.

Mrbob2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It just so happens i have 30 odd gb of roms, and i can only store around 100 on my card, so ADDING different games that i want to play will knacker it up!!! so if they were on a bigger card i wouldnt have to move them around would i?

My GP2X supports zipped amiga roms, snes roms, megadrive roms etc so it can be done.

The reason why i suggested folders is so that i dont have to scroll down the the game beginning with the letter Z from the top through my 4gb card takes time. Even on a 2gb card, hence the questions at the start of this thread.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mrbob2 said:
My GP2X supports zipped amiga roms, snes roms, megadrive roms etc so it can be done.
It cannot be done as a GP2x is almost three times more powerful than a DS.

BTW, 32gb cards will be out in mid-08. At indecent prices. Something like 300$.

Mrbob2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MMmm i get what you say. Ive heard on the grapevine there is a rumour of a replacement for the DS. Ive only had mine a month and its a bit of a sod to think it could be obsolete in a year (maybe). I guess zip support is a nono but the firmware could be improved dramatically with the ability to sort roms into folders and auto sort would be nice also.

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you only have gamess that are playable in English then you are down to around 1000, however when you remove all duplicated games you are down to less than 600.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if the DSTT is different than the CycloEvo in directory structure, but there is a hardcap of I believe 128 or 256 files per folder, which would mean you'd have to sort it alphabetically or by genre or something. As far as zipping and unzipping them, I to a point can understand the awesomeness of carrying a full set, but god almighty, you don't need to actually do it, do you need 3 or 4 different versions of the exact same game based on release region? Also, trimming them would save quite a bit of space for this undertaking, but as others have said, you don't want to have them being unpacked on the fly, even if the hardware can support it, which I'm unsure of, it certainly won't benefit you while you wait for minutes to unzip a larger file.

Also, although flash memory has a finite amount of uses, I've had a flash drive that I've used multiple times since 2003. It's 2008. No failure or corruption or inability to use it (and to tell you how old it is, it is a 32 meg stick, and that was back when that was amazing). I'm sure MicroSDs last for THOUSANDS of cycles, meaning you'll no longer use your DS by the time it dies.

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MadBob said:
If you only have gamess that are playable in English then you are down to around 1000, however when you remove all duplicated games you are down to less than 600.

...around 600 sounds about right, and trimmed they should probably come close to fitting on a 16-gig TF - or, a pair of 8s in separate flashcarts.

Why anyone would want to have the entire Nintendogs range a mere button-press away, though, is beyond me. And for practical reasons, anyone attempting this would want to either use YSMenu or another cart entirely, as scrolling through 600 titles wouldn't be fun.

Mrbob2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Scrolling throgh 200 titles isnt fun, hence the desire for the next update to feature folder acces!

I have 2 4gb cards and 2 2gb cards, most 3/4 full with no duplicates and with new games arriving the list does get bigger.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.