GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is a very very early screenshot.
i didnt work much on the design yet. instead i worked on memory efficiency and speed. the left "sidebar" can be hidden (and is so by default), to allow for a 4 column view.

tomorrow ill add a "options" window in which you can set the api key and choose between sources (steamgriddb and local folder for now)

after that i just have to implement the image fetching and downloading from steamgriddb and then i can focus on making everything a little prettier than it is now.

Album_1_12_2021_02_45_42.jpg

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no, thats the resolution **required** to work. My tool downloads images in any aspect ratio and squishes it to 1:1
means if you would download a vertical icon (2:3 works with my theme) and open the file on the pc, it would look distorted. but the vertical icon theme takes this 1:1 image and stretches it back to a 2:3 resolution so it looks normal.
Ah of course. I remember from the other icon thread that stretched images are put into 1:1 resolution and the theme is altering them internally. Alright. Guess you will post instructions on how to make those images when you release your theme.
Or is it as simple as making a 2:3 image in Photoshop and "resize" it to a 1:1 resolution?

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ah of course. I remember from the other icon thread that stretched images are put into 1:1 resolution and the theme is altering them internally. Alright. Guess you will post instructions on how to make those images when you release your theme.
Or is it as simple as making a 2:3 image in Photoshop and "resize" it to a 1:1 resolution?

usually its that simple, yes. just make sure its a jpg under 150kb with 256x256px.
This will work with any theme, just my vertical icon theme needs a 2:3 "base" image. any other theme can use 1:1 base images

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
usually its that simple, yes. just make sure its a jpg under 150kb with 256x256px.
This will work with any theme, just my vertical icon theme needs a 2:3 "base" image. any other theme can use 1:1 base images
Perfect, got it. Thanks a lot. :)

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Slluxx any info on your theme at all? I assume it's on the laptop that's not available.

looking forward to this.. i created my own icon but the size is 256x422
View attachment 285869
@shigenojay do you have a repo on GitHub for these? I'd love to see them and be able to choose other icons people make.
If you setup the icon repo like mine & @HoTsHoTz79 repo it can be pulled directly into the nx-gic app

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Slluxx any info on your theme at all? I assume it's on the laptop that's not available.
exactly. i have to remake everything - which is not a problem at all. i just hoped i can rewrite my homebrew before that. but for that i am also missing the time due to other, much larger projects taking up my time. I think ill give the theme a try this weekend but i cant promise anything because this stupid windows 7 laptop is old as fuck and many tools just refuse to work on it.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allrighty, i made some plans and ive done some prep work to get started again.
there some flaws and feature requests with the old homebrew which would require me to switch to the yoga branch of borealis and i have no patience for that. instead of working around the issues in the old homebrew, i will rewrite it from scratch with ImGui.

Here is an early "mockup" i made (its made in paint, nothing fancy - just visual reference for me). Obviously it will be more pretty than the mockup and i'll fill the gaps with some data for the eye. UI is browsable by touch & gamepad, unlike borealis which has no touch support.

After thats done, i will rework the theme (if this crappy laptop doesnt freak out trying to do so). If the hardware works, it should be done relatively quickly.

View attachment 287167
I Think i mentioned this before, but forgot to send the link, you can check how Hakchi does it:
https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases
32582198-7df6e21a-c4e5-11e7-80ac-16aed761ae0f.jpeg

Rodel

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

@shigenojay do you have a repo on GitHub for these? I'd love to see them and be able to choose other icons people make.
If you setup the icon repo like mine & @HoTsHoTz79 repo it can be pulled directly into the nx-gic app
i have but i updated my icon to this
2044012012463500-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
exactly. i have to remake everything - which is not a problem at all. i just hoped i can rewrite my homebrew before that. but for that i am also missing the time due to other, much larger projects taking up my time. I think ill give the theme a try this weekend but i cant promise anything because this stupid windows 7 laptop is old as fuck and many tools just refuse to work on it.
That would be cool!, As for pulling icons could there be a way for the nro to browse GitHub repos at all?
Also I could technically remake vertical icons at a 2:3 ratio then possibly under a new repository?
And the app could handle all the pains of resizing & formats?

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That would be cool!, As for pulling icons could there be a way for the nro to browse GitHub repos at all?
Also I could technically remake vertical icons at a 2:3 ratio then possibly under a new repository?
And the app could handle all the pains of resizing & formats?
But why?

Steamgriddb hosts all kinds of different icons for games and instead of having 50 repositorys by people who manage images for just a few games, they should be submitted there instead, which will contribute to a much marger library of icons/images than one person alone (or 50 repositorys to choose from) could ever have or handle.

Usually id say that handing everything from github and multiple repos is good and the way to go but with this massive library already existing, it just doesnt make sense not to use and to contribute to that instead. Accounts are free, they have a good API and it just works. Im not going to change or add complexity to that.

Last edited by Slluxx,

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But why?

Steamgriddb hosts all kinds of different icons for games and instead of having 50 repositorys by people who manage images for just a few games, they should be submitted there instead, which will contribute to a much marger library of icons/images than one person alone (or 50 repositorys to choose from) could ever have or handle.

Usually id say that handing everything from github and multiple repos is good and the way to go but with this massive library already existing, it just doesnt make sense not to use and to contribute to that instead. Accounts are free, they have a good API and it just works. Im not going to change or add complexity to that.
yeah that does make sense I'm just thinking of how I would add icons made by myself without uploading them to steamgrid,
would there be a way to access a network share or anything like that? basically a non complex way of adding personal images that utilizes your program without much effort or bother on your end ?

Btw the tools work and ive set up the environment to recreate the theme.
currently working on it.
cool look forward to results.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah that does make sense I'm just thinking of how I would add icons made by myself without uploading them to steamgrid,
would there be a way to access a network share or anything like that? basically a non complex way of adding personal images that utilizes your program without much effort or bother on your end ?

the theme is completly decoupled from my homebrew (if thats what you want to know). you can always manually place icons with the right name, dimensions and size in the "/atmosphere/contents/<tid>/" folder and it will be applied. The icon swapping is what sys-tweak does.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the theme is completly decoupled from my homebrew (if thats what you want to know). you can always manually place icons with the right name, dimensions and size in the "/atmosphere/contents/<tid>/" folder and it will be applied. The icon swapping is what sys-tweak does.
Ok could I be super lazy and just put 2:3 images directly into the icon cache where the app usually puts them?
Then use the app to resize & apply the icons?
It would be quicker rather than seeking out each tid folder in atmosphere just to dump images into the download cache (mtp/FTP) and have the homebrew do the legwork

As far as the theme is concerned I use project clean but modified icon size, my all apps is very small but yours looked awesome.

Also did I read correctly your spacing meant slightly bigger icons on home screen?

Home_Menu_20220118_224538_00 (1).jpg

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok could I be super lazy and just put 2:3 images directly into the icon cache where the app usually puts them?
Then use the app to resize & apply the icons?
i am not sure if the resizing was done on download or on applying an icon. you could just test it an see if it works.

Also did I read correctly your spacing meant slightly bigger icons on home screen?
not sure what your question means

Reactions: SodaSoba

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i am not sure if the resizing was done on download or on applying an icon. you could just test it an see if it works.
Yes it does work!
I FTP/MTP a 600x900.png image(s) into

Code:
sdmc:\gameIcons\full
  • IconGrabber
    • Downloaded Icons
    • Browse downloaded Icons
      • Selected imported Icon
      • [ Set as icon ]

Works perfectly, the app resizes the icon and everything.
this is perfect for my needs.
Yes this method might be slow compared to NX-GIC Auto GIC feature for swapping loads of titles at once but it does work

it would be awesome if we could somehow get @HoTsHoTz79 to let NX-GIC to upload unmodified png icons directly to sdmc:\gameIcons\full and let users choose IconGrabber to apply their own icons to covers (1:1 or 2:3).

icon grabber downloads vertical as 267x400.jpg, I did some further testing, all my icons work as they're pre sized to 256x256

Home_Menu_20220124_100409_00.jpg

Last edited by SodaSoba,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...