GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello everyone,

this is IconGrabber. A homebrew that one can probably best describe as an unofficial steamgriddb.com client for the Nintendo Switch. You can search for games and then preview and download icons that you want. After that, you can apply any icon to any installed title of your switch and replace the original. In order for them to be displayed, you need to use sys-tweak though. @SodaSoba has amazing themes and a superb guide on how to set everything up (including IconGrabber, sys-tweak and the API key you need).

You need to download the resolution/ratio your theme supports!
Nintendos default themes support 256x256 (but you can download any 1:1 ratio - eg 512x212 or 1024x1024)
Custom vertical icon themes should be made with 2:3 icons in mind (for example 600x900) but since i don't create those themes, they could be anything. Its best to check with the theme author.

Sys-Tweak expects a 256x256 jpg under a certain size (i cant recall what it was). IconGrabber will try to convert all images into the format needed but there are no checks in place if things actually worked. If you get a missing icon, the size may still be too large and if the icon is some garbage, the conversion might have failed.

Like said above, you need to get an API key from SteamGridDB. If you already have an account, you can get the key here. Please take a look at @SodaSoba s guide if you have any questions about anything really.

If you dont want to use the Switch keyboard to type the key, you can use/create the config file
/config/icongrabber/config.json

with the content:
JSON:
{
"api_token": "",
"resolution_id": 5,
"style_id": 0
}

Download on Github

Some of you might have noticed that this isn't new. Custom game icons existed for a while now and even tools to "generate" them. But they all required a PC to use and couldn't be operated just from the switch. The reason i created this is to have a more streamlined and easy way to change icons aswell as a "agreed upon" ratio for vertical themes.

In case you have never seen a good vertical icon theme, @SodaSoba and Zhi (zzzribas) got you covered with SwitchDeck and Lava Lamp for example. There are more good themes but we worked closely together and i just have to acknowledge them.

switchdeck.jpg

lavalamp.jpg

Last edited by Slluxx,

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Setup my API, but when I search (manually or using the game names) no icons show up.
Either the API key is wrong or the game doesnt have any icons in the resolution you selected. What game are you trying to search icons for?

This is awesome tks!

Can you make so i can select an image file from sd?

you could place your icons in `sdmc:/gameIcons/full/` and they should appear in the local icons menu

Last edited by Slluxx,
Reactions: Cardellos

lieder1987

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either the API key is wrong or the game doesnt have any icons in the resolution you seleted. What game are you trying to search icons for?

I tried several games and several resolutions, and they all say there are none. Ill try and manually input the key, I made the JSON file, and see if that helps.

Also using the manual function worked great.

Last edited by lieder1987,

HoTsHoTz79

GIC-Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice, glad to see another project for custom icons

There are some Vertical icon themes but the resources are quite old and are written very poorly. This tool probably works with them too but i never found docs on their aspect ratios and so on

If by any chance, you are referring to the themes / GIC Tool I made in the past; both @SodaSoba and I created quite detailed and thorough guides posted on github/gbatemp/reddit ... and as for the aspect ratios, I see that i've only had it documented on my reddit posts... please see below if it helps;

For this Vertical Theme:
256 x 422
X: 1.0, Y: 1.65
Y : 256 x 1.65 = 422
106550700-aa267b80-64e1-11eb-9995-b5a4d5637928.jpg

And for this Horizontal Theme:
256 Height x 400
106550927-228d3c80-64e2-11eb-8576-46dfdb7b9c0d.jpg

Last edited by HoTsHoTz79,

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice, glad to see another project for custom icons

If by any chance, you are referring to the themes / GIC Tool I made in the past; both @SodaSoba and I created quite detailed and thorough guides posted on github/gbatemp/reddit ... and as for the aspect ratios, I see that i've only had it documented on my reddit posts... please see below if it helps;

Ah, well. I found several pages across several platforms and there has been enough information to get started but it wasnt in a good readable format (atleast in my personal opinion). Also the content/layout/how information is presented on each page i found was vastly different. And i still dont know why exactly you chose this resolution. Apart from that, i didnt like the themes. especially the rounded corners and large gap between image and cursor. I made my own theme in a 2:3 ratio and i hope this ratio (or atleast working with ratios in general) will be the future of this.

My plan is to release a few themes that work hand in hand with this tool and cover all kinds of styles.

Reactions: lordelan

HoTsHoTz79

GIC-Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah perfectly understand, everyone has different taste.

I just ran this tool and works smoothly, great job! Originally this was my idea as well; to make an nro that searches steamgriddb or mobygames and install directly, but couldn't program because of CPP

Question: Any plans to add more sites? (example; https://www.mobygames.com/info/api) or even google search?

Reactions: lordelan and Slluxx

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah perfectly understand, everyone has different taste.

I just ran this tool and works smoothly, great job! Originally this was my idea as well; to make an nro that searches steamgriddb or mobygames and install directly, but couldn't program because of CPP

Question: Any plans to add more sites? (example; https://www.mobygames.com/info/api) or even google search?

first i will add a true gallery instead of those tabs with tiny preview window. after that i think about rewriting it and supporting multiple hosts. google will probably not be supported because i can not filter it that good and their api seems to be overkill to have in a homebrew app.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first i will add a true gallery instead of those tabs with tiny preview window. after that i think about rewriting it and supporting multiple hosts. google will probably not be supported because i can not filter it that good and their api seems to be overkill to have in a homebrew app.
Just as a suggestion, how about adding google the way @Cluster did on Hakchi2? btw love the idea of this project :)

Reactions: lordelan

HoTsHoTz79

GIC-Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: lordelan and Slluxx

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
oh very cool, I wasn't able to figure out how to resize icons in All Apps
looking forward to the finished thing so i can update my themes as well

Its really tricky, because if you remove the whole UI, the images have to move up to fill the blank space. but then the selection doesnt really work anymore because the switch expects the "current main row" to be dead center and not shifted, which causes weird bugs and the viewport jumps around. i have not fixed that yet

Last edited by Slluxx,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over