i wonder if E3 of 2012 really sucked.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know much about the crash but still i think were going video games are going need a big come back maybe... let me know your thoughts and input's

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I personally don`t think there will be a crash..interesting you posted this though. In my computer programming class on Wednesday, my classmates and I were discussing E3. My teacher, who sort of follows these things, gave some excellent inputs, and he brought up the crash of 1983. He thinks it may happen again. He thinks that because everyone is moving to mobile gaming on their phones, iPods, etc. that no one will want to buy a machine for a couple hundred dollars, when they can grab a time killer for a couple dollars. It was an interesting conversation.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that's not going to happen (at least, that's my prediction). If anything, it will be more like a Depression brought on by video game inflation due to an influx and surplus of mediocre games born from the tried and true practices of Activision and EA, those practices being gaining money with the tiniest amount of effort (especially seeing how making games only gets cheaper and easier as time goes on). I, personally, anticipate that occurrence, as it is only after that that gaming can truly rise to new heights.

Reactions: 1 person

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the crash of 1983 was caused by a total oversaturation of consoles and games on the market during that time, plus an overwhelming number of poorly made unlicensed games. Home console gaming back then was fairly new, and businesses, mainly Atari, didn't know how to properly market these games.
Here's an interesting video for those curious.

But I doubt there's gonna be another crash like that anytime soon, not with the way the gaming industry has embedded itself in the overall market, and with the amount of people who play games daily. Probably something like machomuu said, a depression of sorts caused by a constant release of unoriginal and repetitive games (though there's still too many people that buy these games...)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
We do all realize what the crash of '83 was all about, right? We just had a bunch of crap. If there were gems, they certainly couldn't be found. Even the NES wasn't made of gold. It just had recognizable, good games that people could rely on, instead of a million, $100 development cost, crap titles. These days, we have a pretty fantastic balance of good and bad, and although there is certainly more bad than good, we don't focus on it. Instead, we focus on the 10 gems out of 1000 titles of crap. Don't put so much stock in E3. Most good stuff doesn't even show at E3 unless developers are trying really hard to hype it.

E3 will be better next year; we can't expect E3 to be good every year. This is just an in between year.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, yadda yadda yadda.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Christ...and I thought I was relatively old around here...I was two at the time of that crash. And it was probably about 3-4 years after that before I ever played a video game. As such, all I have to go on is demonicstrife's video (which is VERY good for a homemade documentary :) ).

All in all, I don't believe it. Yes, the gaming trend is shifting away from überpowerfull consoles* to quick pick-up phone games. But a crash is unlikely. Games are part of popular culture now, so there'll always be people who will buy them. And that supply will be met by gaming companies.
Going by what the video told, I'd say that video game sales are MUCH more closely watched by marketeers. If a gaming trend will be swindling, I doubt it'll take bankruptcies or scandals before the big companies will change their policy (in a certain way, that's exactly what nintendo did with the wii).

Still, I wonder what impact a smartphone that's properly designed for gaming will have on the game market...

*I kinda expect Moore's law to stop working as well at some point...development for improved hardware only goes as far as long as people actually buy it.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this one E3 is going to cause another crash, besides there were some good looking games at this year's E3.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
E3 sucked because all the really big announcements were already made over the internet. So it had nothing good to offer. It doesn't mean nothing good is going on in the gaming world, only that conferences such as the E3 are becoming obsolete.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro