I want to re-install A9LH on my 2DS, can I downgrade?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Polarise, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Polarise
    OP

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Hello, I want to re-install A9LH on my 2DS because FBI is not working properly. Is it possible for me to downgrade my 2DS to 9.2 with A9LH when it is on v11.2.0-35?

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    In what way is it not working? How about we help you with that. It is dangerous to do the a9lh steps with a console that already has a9lh. Someone bricked from doing a DSiWare downgrade on an a9lh console.

3. cravas

cravas GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2016
    Oeiras
    You can do a 9.2 CTR Transfer with the Decrypt9 payload.

4. Polarise
    OP

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    At first when I would open FBI via the homebrew channel, it would say no kernel access acquired. (I can't inject FBI) so then I found an old nand backup of my 2ds and decided to restore it. After that, I went to the homebrew channel and FBI worked that time. So I decided to install the FBI CIA and that worked too. Everything is fixed.

Quantumcat likes this.
  5. Justin14p

Justin14p GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    Poland
    Why downgrading a 3DS w/ A9LH causes bricks?

6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I think it corrupts the firm which is required for booting.
    Not all downgrades cause bricks on an a9lh console, I think just that one. But I think it's better to be safe than sorry (I think CTR transfer and restoring an older NAND backup could be said to be guaranteed safe. But I wouldn't try sysupdater or DSiWare downgrades)

Justin14p likes this.
  7. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 3, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Normal downgrade doesn't cause bricks(since it uses CTR transfer)

Maybe it bricked because A9LH needs a special NATIVE_FIRM? idk

Justin14p likes this.
  8. Elaugaufein

Elaugaufein GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    The DSi downgrade writes to Firm0/Firm1. A9LH modifies those in order to work, at best you'd get a FrankenFirmware if a9lh correctly blocks the firm0/1 writes at worst you'd end up with junk in Firm0/Firm1 and thus a brick.

If your a9lh console is functional enough to boot though, I'm pretty sure you can reinstall it, just by treating it like an a9lh payload update.

Quantumcat likes this.