mad.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the 2d games (my preferred. I can't get into the 3d remakes/sequels of games...) i'd highly recommend 2 and 3 (both US numbers... can never remember which they are in the jap numbering...). FF2(US) is still one of my favorite games ever. I still have that SNES cart next my SNES
smile.gif
FF3(US) is another amazing rpg. Never finished 3, but the time i put into it was well worth it. I want to pick it back up again sometime soon.

As for the on-going story lines, there are none, but there are little things that carry through them, as said before. The Chocobos are running through most of them (i can't remember if they were in FF1, but i know they were in FF2(US), and throughout the rest of them.)

Also Cid was mentioned. There is always a rather main character named Cid, as well there were (i haven't played one for years lol) almost always two very minor side characters named Biggs and Wedge (Square's special homage to Star Wars lol). And music is re-used throughout the games... at different times and in different styles. As said before, you won't miss story lines by playing later games... accept for, i'd assume, FFX and FFX-2... and that would be playing X-2 before playing X.

Damn, now i have the urge to pull out the Snes and get back into FF2 again
tongue.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'd start out with FF VIII
biggrin.gif
since it's my all time favorite!
smile.gif
Best story of em all and junctioning is a fun way to experiment!

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the SNES FFs were fantastic. They have great story lines and all have something different and exciting about. I recommend playing through any of them first (IV, V,VI).

Then I BEG you to play IX as your first 3D FF. By far the best. Don't give into all the hype. VII was definitely innovative and introduced a lot of people to FF, but the game is called Final FANTASY, FFS, not Final Science-Fiction. The story is good, but it could definitely have been better.

And VIII is basically a love story with sci-fi elements (notice it is also sci-fi and not FANTASY). Don't get me wrong, I've played every FF and most are wonderful games, but VII and VIII really stray pretty far from what FF is. Definitely play them at some point, but learn what FF really is before jumping in to them.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
VII was the first Final Fantasy game I played, introduced to the series via a friend in Primary School all those years ago. I completed that game to death, then completed it again.

However, I would not say it's the best. If you were to play the game today, you may end up expecting too much out of it due to all the hype and feel disappointed. I wouldn't even say that there is a "best" because it's all personal preference. I would however recommend V. It is one of my absolute favourites mainly because of the depth the job system achieves. IV and VI are also excellent choices, as well as IX.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
there isn't much connection between the games besides names and general world usages. Biggs, Wedge, Cid, Leon, Chocobos, Moogles e.t.c

As for games, Start with IV then move onto VI, V, IX, III, VII, X then VIII.

Having played all the games beside 1,2, 11&12. i found IV to VI the best games, particularly VI. Problem with VII & VII, VII introduced a majority of the western world to the Final Fantasy Series so many people claim it as the best without playing any games from 1-6. VIII i felt rode on the success of VII which many people found to be a let down, decent enough game but not as good as a majority of the others. X i liked but didn't really float the boat, It had its errors here and there but the system could have been greatly improved. As for IX, i absolutely loved it, almost near VI for me. I had some arguments about the battle system but nothing major.

Oath

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I played the most worthy spin-offs first (Tactics, Tactics Advance, Mystic Quest, FF Adventure) then I went off and started the series from 1 up. Im currently done with 1-9, which were excellent.... except 7, which I truly disliked out of most of them (Everyone who told me about FF7 basically put it on a fucking pedastal so I was psyched to play it, and when I finally played it, all I could say was "No man... just... no."). Don't get me wrong, the game was great, but I was definitely underwhelmed. My favorites were 4,6, and 9.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Issac said:
I'd start out with FF VIII
biggrin.gif
since it's my all time favorite!
smile.gif
Best story of em all and junctioning is a fun way to experiment!
yeh ffviii was my first in the series
my brother got it for me the first christmas i had the ps1 and my god it was a complete revelation to me
people are right when they say the first ff you play will be your favourite
i completed ffix too quickly so didn't enjoy it because there was no challenge in it
dry.gif

ffx rocks because of blitzball (and story line) and when blitzball didn't turn up on ffx-2 i was gutted
i got xii last year but it's still in it's wrapper
dry.gif
i'll play it soon
laugh.gif

CPhantom

The Noob :(
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
List of them that I have played:

FF 7 (VII)
FF 8 (VIII)
FF 10 (X)
FF 12 (XII)
FF 12 Revenant Wings
FF Tactics Advanced
FF Tactics Advanced 2
FF Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates

Personally, I loved FF8 (VIII). It was the turning point of 3D on the Playstation, with FF7 (VII) starting the whole 3D style of games for the FF series. However, FF7 seemed to limited in character advancement in my opinion, while FF8 went deep into the characters stories and such.

for the Playstation 2, there really hasn't been a great FF game. 10 was alright, but it was way to easy, and they decided to make a second one with kind of messed with the story a bit. And 12, even though it looked fantastic...you could basically get it to play itself using a system called "Gambits".

If you want a hand held one, I personally love Tactics Advanced...even more than Tactics Advanced 2. However, both are great. Revenant Wings is like a RTS for the DS, and it was way better than 12 as well, even though it was a sequal.

My all time favorite is 8. I will never stop loving that one xD
I still play it today.

Shinster

Trophies
XP
Country
FFVI is the best 2D. FFIX is the best 3D. VII, VIII, and X are for emofags who fap at the sight of anything resembling Aeris.

cerenade

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Twiffles said:
Why does everyone say FFVII is the best? It's not

I totally agree! It's good, I like all the FF games but VII is no where near the best.

IMO X was the best, I love that game. Also VIII was really good, better than VII. XII was better than VII(althought the story in VII is better).

Erm I'd recommend FFX for someone who hasn't played them before, or FFXII.
Then VIII, then VII when you can be bothered.

klown07

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I think final fantasy 9 is under-rated. It had a great story, was very bright and colorful, awesome soundtrack, lotsa fun. I liked the scene where they're running out of the forest and the main characters buddy gets caught and turns into stone or something.....sad.

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, Don't start with FFIII DS =/.

FFIII is really not representative of the series. It has a bare-bones storyline, a terrible job system,and a short overall experience. FFIII was really only a treat because it never had come state-side before, but unfortunately it really shows it's age.

If you want to start with a DS game, wait for FFIV DS. Yes, I know its only +1, but the difference is gigantic. FFIV has a wonderful storyline, filled with interesting twists and turns, a simple job system (with a newly added ability system that's actually very nice), very challenging and overall satisfying in length.

Oh, and for the record...

VI>IV>X>VII>V>IX>VIII>I+II+III>XII

Yes, I know X is before VII. Yes, I know the whole world doesn't like X or it's protagonist. Yes I know that the whole world has an orgasm when "VII" is mentioned, or any of the characters in it. This does not change my opinion of the matter.

Oath

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
klown07 said:
I think final fantasy 9 is under-rated. It had a great story, was very bright and colorful, awesome soundtrack, lotsa fun. I liked the scene where they're running out of the forest and the main characters buddy gets caught and turns into stone or something.....sad.

Preach it man. FF IX was definitely underrated, Its my personal favorite in the whole series.

And that guy who turned into stone was Blank, one of the main characters 3 friends.

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
santakuroosu said:
Raganook said:
Oh, and for the record...

VI>IV>X>VII>V>IX>VIII>I+II+III>XII
XII>V>VIII>VI>IX>I+II+III>X

Fixed.
Not putting up VII since I like it based on nostalgia and I don't quite remember IV.
Also, why the hell was XII at the last spot?

Any list with VI in the middle is wrong by default. I do approve of your V appreciation though.

XII: Worse than sub-par storyline. A practice in masturbation, since the game literally plays itself. An obscenely stupid set of rules that are made unavailable to the player during the course of the game (Read: Don't open randomly generated chests B I P Q and Z, then do these random things, and only THEN will it be a Zodiac Spear. Or, go through the mines, go to the chest, and with PERFECT TIMING, press the "open chest" button, and MAYBE you will get the shield, MAYBE."), and an overall lack of effort to develop any sort of attachment. Final Fantasy is about the storyline. Whether you prefer VIII, X, VI or VII, its the characters and their stories that you reflect fondly upon. FFXII lacked it, BIG time. Not to mention, the whole "Look-I'm-Playing-An-MMO-By-Myself" feeling was a bit bizarre. I clocked over 160 hours into XII. The first 40 was because I was enjoying it. It was at about this point that the game stopped being "fun". I kept thinking "I wonder what will happen!?" and hypothesizing about the plot. I didn't realize the rest of the game was a storyless grindfest. The last 120 was because I'm a completionist, and I've beaten all the rest of them, so I felt I had to. Rare monsters that only appear if a digit of your in-game time is right?! It would be nice if the game at least TOLD you this upfront. I just walked back and forth, back and forth, for hours upon hours. Any game that REQUIRES a strategy guide in order to just know the rules of how to achieve the challenges in the game has issues, and any Final Fantasy without a deep and twisting storyline belongs on the bottom of the list with the FFI-III-era titles.

However, this is a bit off-topic
wink.gif
. I would be more than happy to tell you even more in-depth and specific reasons why XII was scum in PM or another post
smile.gif

Needless to say, I stick with recommending FFIV DS to the topic poster as a good starter FF, since they wanted to start with a DS game. And again I reiterate that this would be far more enjoyable and comparable to other FF titles than FFIII DS. And it should be obvious I DON'T recommend XII
tongue.gif

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Give it a try at VII or IX. My favorite one is VIII, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone trying to start on the series (same goes with XII)

I'd skip the NES and Snes ones. Those were the first I've played, but most of them has not aged well and aren't much fun to play if you ask me. You might want check out FFV Advance or the upcoming remake of IV, though.

EDIT: Oh well, since they started doing the list, I'll give my personal thoughts:
VIII > IX > XII > VII > IV > X > VI > whatever

The only one I haven't finished above is IX. I, II and III are in the "whatever" section, and I haven't played V enough to rate it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: more of a platinum guy myself personally