I want to play a different shooter

lanikaricpm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi there! I would like to ask you a little help. I want to play a game like resident evil, a shooter with rpg elements, slow and realistic movementation and guns, and maybe some puzzles. But I want a 2d sidescroller. Is there any game like this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"game like resident evil"
OK
"a shooter with rpg elements"
Still plenty doable
"slow and realistic movementation and guns"
Maybe not numbers of titles wise but that is probably half of gaming here -- most of Europe's, especially Eastern Europe's efforts here tending to be this,
"and maybe some puzzles"
Might not be Half Life physics puzzles or Resident Evil random logic puzzles but many will have something here

"But I want a 2d sidescroller"
Damn... I was set to recommend the STALKER series or Metro 20?? series, and while maybe not as slow and realistic then Borderlands and a tiny bit light on RPG elements but Escape from Tarkov and maybe see what became of DayZ. The 2d thing however makes it far harder. There are plenty of 2D games (usually under the banner of 2.5D but enough of that discussion) with PSN, XBLA and the PC indy markets being full of them. However none that have crossed my radar ever do what you want -- they are usually either run and gun high speed things in the vein of Gunstar Heroes or more sedate things like Shadow Complex, or entirely different genres (think Trine which is basically a new take on Lost Vikings, splosion man, art piece, straight platformers, or art pieces that pretend to be platformers -- things like Limbo). You might get something from the survival/building simulations, or wartime survival things but their shooting is not as tight as you probably want it to be. You might also like some of the roguelike games -- something like Death Road to Canada.
If you are thinking more along the lines of the megadrive alien game or Jurassic Park game but done in the modern world to modern standards (and good) then not really. I could suggest something like Mark of the Ninja, and we could also go have a look at Hotline Miami (very light on RPG elements though), and if we are continuing there then something like Monaco and maybe some of the other heist games.

Reactions: lanikaricpm

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tough combination. Especially with the sidescroller part. I don't have an exact match, but perhaps these two :

This war of mine. It's realistic, has rpg, has the survival /slow 'movement and the puzzle aspect. It's just not a shooter

Gunpoint. This misses more requirements: it' s... At best semi realistic, has very fast movement and is more in the vein of slapstick comedy. But it is a shooter, and is even more a lightweight puzzler(it's basically what watch_dogs would like to be but isn't).

Oh, and one that is in my backlog (and thus a long shot) : ronin
From what I gather, it's a bit like superhot but in 2d. I havent played it, though. So I'm not sure

lanikaricpm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"game like resident evil"
OK
"a shooter with rpg elements"
Still plenty doable
"slow and realistic movementation and guns"
Maybe not numbers of titles wise but that is probably half of gaming here -- most of Europe's, especially Eastern Europe's efforts here tending to be this,
"and maybe some puzzles"
Might not be Half Life physics puzzles or Resident Evil random logic puzzles but many will have something here

"But I want a 2d sidescroller"
Damn... I was set to recommend the STALKER series or Metro 20?? series, and while maybe not as slow and realistic then Borderlands and a tiny bit light on RPG elements but Escape from Tarkov and maybe see what became of DayZ. The 2d thing however makes it far harder. There are plenty of 2D games (usually under the banner of 2.5D but enough of that discussion) with PSN, XBLA and the PC indy markets being full of them. However none that have crossed my radar ever do what you want -- they are usually either run and gun high speed things in the vein of Gunstar Heroes or more sedate things like Shadow Complex, or entirely different genres (think Trine which is basically a new take on Lost Vikings, splosion man, art piece, straight platformers, or art pieces that pretend to be platformers -- things like Limbo). You might get something from the survival/building simulations, or wartime survival things but their shooting is not as tight as you probably want it to be. You might also like some of the roguelike games -- something like Death Road to Canada.
If you are thinking more along the lines of the megadrive alien game or Jurassic Park game but done in the modern world to modern standards (and good) then not really. I could suggest something like Mark of the Ninja, and we could also go have a look at Hotline Miami (very light on RPG elements though), and if we are continuing there then something like Monaco and maybe some of the other heist games.
Sure it is very hard to find a game like this haha. The sidescroller shooters usualy are fast paced like you said, but I'm a little bit tired of this kind of game. But hey, I'm watching some gameplay videos of the games you recommended, thanks a lot. If I like any of them, I will let you know

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Check out My Friend Pedro, coming out this month on PC and Switch. Matches some of your requirements, not exactly "realistic" movement though!

It promises to be a good game, but is not what i'm searching for. But thanks for trying!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tough combination. Especially with the sidescroller part. I don't have an exact match, but perhaps these two :

This war of mine. It's realistic, has rpg, has the survival /slow 'movement and the puzzle aspect. It's just not a shooter

Gunpoint. This misses more requirements: it' s... At best semi realistic, has very fast movement and is more in the vein of slapstick comedy. But it is a shooter, and is even more a lightweight puzzler(it's basically what watch_dogs would like to be but isn't).

Oh, and one that is in my backlog (and thus a long shot) : ronin
From what I gather, it's a bit like superhot but in 2d. I havent played it, though. So I'm not sure
I watched some gameplays and This War of Mine is a good one, it kinda fits my requirements. Thanks :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Perhaps also worth checking : wasteland 2.

It's basically fallout 3 if that didn't exist already. So a modern take on fallout 1&2. Realistic in movement (its turn based), is a shooter, rpg-ish and has different ways to play. All that's missing is the side scroller element.

lanikaricpm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Perhaps also worth checking : wasteland 2.

It's basically fallout 3 if that didn't exist already. So a modern take on fallout 1&2. Realistic in movement (its turn based), is a shooter, rpg-ish and has different ways to play. All that's missing is the side scroller element.
I'm searching for a sidescroller, but I will check this one too. Thanks for the suggestion

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm searching for a sidescroller, but I will check this one too. Thanks for the suggestion
Just thought of something : steamworld heist. Still not a perfect match (it's more a tactics game with guns than an actual shooter) but perhaps the closest call thus far.

Oh, and... You're welcome. :-)

djhayabusa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there! I would like to ask you a little help. I want to play a game like resident evil, a shooter with rpg elements, slow and realistic movementation and guns, and maybe some puzzles. But I want a 2d sidescroller. Is there any game like this?

Oh man, you are absolutely in luck. Check out Lone Survivor: Director's Cut, it's on Steam, PS3, PS4, Vita, and WiiU eShop. Pretty much exactly what you're asking for plus a bunch of different endings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/AjP7B2QFB9E?si=5qT8Ov9brYiIhoGi