I want to learn how to code for the 3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by CreeperdivoHomebrewer, Jun 27, 2016.

1. CreeperdivoHomebrewer
    OP

CreeperdivoHomebrewer The Guy Who Killed Paladin Danse

Jan 4, 2016
    Canada
    Boston 2287
    Hey there temper's! so since i've been using hbl for 7 months now and decided to take the next step in homebrew and learn how to code for the 3ds and hb!I want to learn how to code so i can port some games to the 3ds and make hb programs.
    So Could you give me links for sites and tips for this. Thanx

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    The starting points to homebrew :) https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_Development_Environment

3. CreeperdivoHomebrewer
    OP

CreeperdivoHomebrewer The Guy Who Killed Paladin Danse

Jan 4, 2016
    Canada
    Boston 2287
    proflayton123 likes this.
  4. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    A couple of avenues are C, C++ and LUA; I hear LUA is easier if you don't know much or are just beginning. C/C++ code can be used with devkitARM to compile programs for the 3DS, and if you're familiar with Java, C/C++ might be easier.

Whatever you end up doing, start off small (really small), and then gradually build your way up. Pong seems simple, but I'd say even simpler than that.

5. Roboman

Roboman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    Start really small like kyouken said. Like a home brew that prints "hello world" to the screen

6. untok

untok GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    Finland
    Yep start c programs or c++ like lotto generator. Happy studying :)

7. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Something to note is that you'll need prior C/C++ experience if you decide to go down the devkitPro route. And if you do, there are slight changes in your habits you need to make (such as making use of aptMainLoop(), always remembering to initialize the screen(s), flushing and swapping framebuffers, event oriented programming, and so on).

Joel16 likes this.