Gaming I want to have Windows 7 and XP on one computer.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. I want to install Windows XP on this same computer, but I hear you can't successfully have a dual boot for 7 & XP?

I don't fully understand what is necessary, I hear there are issues with having the two together. I don't want to fuck my only computer up, so...

Any advice? What order do I install them in, and how?

Also, my computer is NOT compatable with Virtual PC.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, the google is your friend. I found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-b...mputer-with-xp/

ENJOY! Hope it helps.
biggrin.gif

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know about Virtual Box but he did said that he cannot used Virtual PC so it can be similiar problem for him ? Anyway, try the instruction I gave to you.

There is other option... If you decide to remove XP or Windows 7 from dual boot then you can do that.. Just ignored Vista.. It is same thing for 7 but you got an idea. Here:

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenan...oot-with-vista/

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
OP
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I honestly WOULD rather have a virtualized XP running. But I was told by the Microsoft website my "computer is not compatible with virtualization" even though it is a high spec'd computer.

I'll check out Virtual Box, see if it works, otherwise, the tutorial above is what I need.
happy.gif

I DID google, but I got so many confusing and contradicting bullshit. Thanks for giving me the right thing.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
I honestly WOULD rather have a virtualized XP running. But I was told by the Microsoft website my "computer is not compatible with virtualization" even though it is a high spec'd computer.

I'll check out Virtual Box, see if it works, otherwise, the tutorial above is what I need.
happy.gif

I DID google, but I got so many confusing and contradicting bullshit. Thanks for giving me the right thing.
My computer is a piece of crap with an old integrated graphics card and it can run XP on Virtual Box just fine. I don't think you will have any problem running it.

kirlac

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Schlupi said:
Sometimes you need to enable virtualization in your computer's bios. Check your motherboard's manual to find out how to do that on your machine (if necessary).

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got the official XP mode for Windows 7 running on my fairly old computer, because Microsoft released a hotfix for it that allowed it to be installed on PCs that didn't have virtualization technology. I'm not using it anymore because it performed crappily (and because it used a virtual GPU).
If you're planning to do any performance-intensive stuff, just dualboot.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
XP Mode is only enabled in Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise Editions, but that shouldn't prevent you from getting the files and setting it up anyway. Alternatively, you can just install XP from a disk, XP Mode is -JUST- an install of Windows XP on a Virtual Machine with a generic license.
http://lifehacker.com/#!5485879/run-xp...d-of-virtual-pc
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911/run-x...virtualization/

What exactly do you need XP for?
I haven't run into anything that doesn't run under Windows 7 + XP Compatibility mode -- Not to say there isn't anything, I just haven't seen it.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:

happy.gif

You might want to check if VT or Virtualization Extensions are enabled in your BIOS. These are usually disabled by default so you need to enable them to get Virtual PC to recognize it. Even then, some CPUs do not have VT anyways, despite being fairly powerful.

Otherwise there are several XP Win7 dual boot tutorials out there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-...ndows-7-xp.html

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or the software can be so old, that even if the program is 32 bit, the installer is 16 bit and x64 win7 does not run 16 bit code. Unless in virtual xp which as mentioned is crap with the virtual GPU when you need to run something like Autocad2000.

Follow the guide posted earlier, but it can be a pain in the ass if you don't have a floppy drive you can use when installing if win7 was installed with the bios set to have the sata drive running in ahci mode. See the red warning box on that tutorial page for method 2. Though it is possible to switch the bios setting off ahci, load xp, modify the registry, and then switch back to ahci mode so you can then run win7, and you can also google to find out how to modify win7 to recognize the non ahci mode first to slightly lessen the headache.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
moose3 said:
Or the software can be so old, that even if the program is 32 bit, the installer is 16 bit and x64 win7 does not run 16 bit code. Unless in virtual xp which as mentioned is crap with the virtual GPU when you need to run something like Autocad2000.

Follow the guide posted earlier, but it can be a pain in the ass if you don't have a floppy drive you can use when installing if win7 was installed with the bios set to have the sata drive running in ahci mode. See the red warning box on that tutorial page for method 2. Though it is possible to switch the bios setting off ahci, load xp, modify the registry, and then switch back to ahci mode so you can then run win7, and you can also google to find out how to modify win7 to recognize the non ahci mode first to slightly lessen the headache.

To be honest I've never run into any 'consumer level' software that has this issue, that can't be solved by basically getting an updated version, or just getting a comparable modern product. If you're talking 'corporate software' then yes, I've seen bizarre shit that will only run on XP that ONLY works if you use JRE 1.4.2.3.53163.3252153.22335 and IE 6, and uses an ODBC connector that was written by some company 10 years ago that's now bankrupt. Oh yeah, and "We totally need this software because if it's not working we lose $1 million an HOUR". Yet if I ask them who actually supports the application if it breaks, I get a blank stare as if I'm talking Martian.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: