I want to have Windows 7 and XP on one computer.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Schlupi, Feb 11, 2011.

Feb 11, 2011
  1. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Ok. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. I want to install Windows XP on this same computer, but I hear you can't successfully have a dual boot for 7 & XP?

I don't fully understand what is necessary, I hear there are issues with having the two together. I don't want to fuck my only computer up, so...

Any advice? What order do I install them in, and how?

Also, my computer is NOT compatable with Virtual PC.

2. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
  3. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you don't want to dual boot you could always use Virtual Box.

4. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I dont know about Virtual Box but he did said that he cannot used Virtual PC so it can be similiar problem for him ? Anyway, try the instruction I gave to you.

There is other option... If you decide to remove XP or Windows 7 from dual boot then you can do that.. Just ignored Vista.. It is same thing for 7 but you got an idea. Here:

http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenan...oot-with-vista/

5. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Can't you just partition the HDD and install 7 and XP on separate partitions?

6. Magmorph

United States
    Virtual Box is not the same thing as Virtual PC.

7. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    I honestly WOULD rather have a virtualized XP running. But I was told by the Microsoft website my "computer is not compatible with virtualization" even though it is a high spec'd computer.

I'll check out Virtual Box, see if it works, otherwise, the tutorial above is what I need. [​IMG]

I DID google, but I got so many confusing and contradicting bullshit. Thanks for giving me the right thing.

8. Exaltys

Member Exaltys GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Two Hardrives? Anyway, why do you want to have both of them installed?

9. Magmorph

United States
    My computer is a piece of crap with an old integrated graphics card and it can run XP on Virtual Box just fine. I don't think you will have any problem running it.

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Hardware virtualization support is not the same thing as just having high specs.

VMWare is free+legal virtualization that doesn't need hardware support, though I don't think you're going to be playing 3D games on it. I've used it to run XP on my XP machine (as a test bed).

11. kirlac

Newcomer kirlac Member

New Zealand
    Sometimes you need to enable virtualization in your computer's bios. Check your motherboard's manual to find out how to do that on your machine (if necessary).

12. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    VMWare ...?
    an O/S in an O/S ? i have VMWare player and does the job done . i got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and have VMWare running Windows XP when needed .

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I got the official XP mode for Windows 7 running on my fairly old computer, because Microsoft released a hotfix for it that allowed it to be installed on PCs that didn't have virtualization technology. I'm not using it anymore because it performed crappily (and because it used a virtual GPU).
    If you're planning to do any performance-intensive stuff, just dualboot.

14. MrCooper

Member MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Why two OSs? If you're going to I also recommend Virtual Box.

15. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    XP Mode is only enabled in Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise Editions, but that shouldn't prevent you from getting the files and setting it up anyway. Alternatively, you can just install XP from a disk, XP Mode is -JUST- an install of Windows XP on a Virtual Machine with a generic license.
    http://lifehacker.com/#!5485879/run-xp...d-of-virtual-pc
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10911/run-x...virtualization/

What exactly do you need XP for?
    I haven't run into anything that doesn't run under Windows 7 + XP Compatibility mode -- Not to say there isn't anything, I just haven't seen it.

16. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Example of something that only works on XP and not Vista/7? My old Logitech ClickSmart webcam.

But anyway... I got a better webcam now for £9, so I'm good.

17. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You might want to check if VT or Virtualization Extensions are enabled in your BIOS. These are usually disabled by default so you need to enable them to get Virtual PC to recognize it. Even then, some CPUs do not have VT anyways, despite being fairly powerful.

Otherwise there are several XP Win7 dual boot tutorials out there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-...ndows-7-xp.html

18. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Or the software can be so old, that even if the program is 32 bit, the installer is 16 bit and x64 win7 does not run 16 bit code. Unless in virtual xp which as mentioned is crap with the virtual GPU when you need to run something like Autocad2000.

Follow the guide posted earlier, but it can be a pain in the ass if you don't have a floppy drive you can use when installing if win7 was installed with the bios set to have the sata drive running in ahci mode. See the red warning box on that tutorial page for method 2. Though it is possible to switch the bios setting off ahci, load xp, modify the registry, and then switch back to ahci mode so you can then run win7, and you can also google to find out how to modify win7 to recognize the non ahci mode first to slightly lessen the headache.

19. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    To be honest I've never run into any 'consumer level' software that has this issue, that can't be solved by basically getting an updated version, or just getting a comparable modern product. If you're talking 'corporate software' then yes, I've seen bizarre shit that will only run on XP that ONLY works if you use JRE 1.4.2.3.53163.3252153.22335 and IE 6, and uses an ODBC connector that was written by some company 10 years ago that's now bankrupt. Oh yeah, and "We totally need this software because if it's not working we lose $1 million an HOUR". Yet if I ask them who actually supports the application if it breaks, I get a blank stare as if I'm talking Martian.

20. porchemasi

Member porchemasi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Google Dual Boot Win7 and XP ... i triple boot it with Ubuntu

you could try VMWare it is the leading software in commercial VM OS