I used the original kernel for my r4 card and all i get is ?menu

Dslover2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an r4 sdhc gold pro 2016 card and i formatted it to fat32 and all that stuff. The original kernel was wiped and i forgot to save it so i downloaded the original kernel again but all i got was a ?menu screen. How do i get the original firmware for the r4 card to work?

Dslover2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What's the website listed on the cart? there are a lot of R4 cards out there that use different kernels, so you may have one that doesn't work with your R4 card.
It says www.R4iSDHC.com
Post automatically merged:

What's the website listed on the cart? there are a lot of R4 cards out there that use different kernels, so you may have one that doesn't work with your R4 card.

edit to add: also, where did you find the kernel? I know I've had luck with https://flashcard-archive.ds-homebrew.com/.
I just found the kernel from http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/downloade_r4-gold-pro.asp

edit to add: also, where did you find the kernel? I know I've had luck with https://flashcard-archive.ds-homebrew.com/.
Which folder do i need tutorial me!

Here is a picture of my r4 card to help

Attachments

• 64911501-C2D5-4785-A87C-A7B55CB2300B.jpeg
    64911501-C2D5-4785-A87C-A7B55CB2300B.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by Dslover2000,

numberri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
numberri.neocities.org
XP
Country
Australia
First of all, disclaimer that flashcards are not my home territory so I'd recommend waiting for someone to back me up before doing anything.

However, looking at https://flashcard-archive.ds-homebrew.com/r4isdhc.com/README.txt, YSMenu is recommended for most of the R4iSDHC.com cards, including what you describe yours as. I'd definitely read that all before installing to double check.

Reactions: Dslover2000

numberri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
numberri.neocities.org
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know if installing the original kernel would help with the AP patching; at worst case scenario you might not be able to play anything because a lot of these cards have a timebomb in their kernel.

If you need AP patches, you can patch your own games or use TWiLightMenu++ on your flashcart. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/ for more information :shy:

Reactions: Dslover2000

Dslover2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

numberri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
numberri.neocities.org
XP
Country
Australia

Dslover2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

numberri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
numberri.neocities.org
XP
Country
Australia
You need the latest Twilight menu Flashcart download, specifically the _nds folder and BOOT.NDS file. You already have a roms folder, but it may be worth checking you have roms/nds and all your saves in roms/nds/saves.

You also need the files in Autoboot/R4i-SDHC, r4isdhc.com cards 2014+, R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution, R4DSiXL3D, R4i Advance, R4-IIIi, R4 SDHC Revolution, R4(i)... <- This is the folder name, it has the stuff for your flashcart.

After this, open TWLMenu++ Settings, switch to Games and Apps settings page, and set Game Loader to Kernel

Dslover2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need the latest Twilight menu Flashcart download, specifically the _nds folder and BOOT.NDS file. You already have a roms folder, but it may be worth checking you have roms/nds and all your saves in roms/nds/saves.

You also need the files in Autoboot/R4i-SDHC, r4isdhc.com cards 2014+, R4i SDHC Upgrade Revolution, R4DSiXL3D, R4i Advance, R4-IIIi, R4 SDHC Revolution, R4(i)... <- This is the folder name, it has the stuff for your flashcart.

After this, open TWLMenu++ Settings, switch to Games and Apps settings page, and set Game Loader to Kernel
For the last part is that on the ds or no? And does twilight menu have ap patches for games? 😘

SylverReZ

GBATemp's Amiga Owner
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As Technicmaster0 said above. ^^

Just because your game(s) freeze doesn't necessarily mean it's anti-piracy-related. For all I know, it could be a contact issue where they aren't making a connection with the game-slot. Try to clean the cartridge with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol; if that doesn't work, you could always go with brasso.

numberri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
numberri.neocities.org
XP
Country
Australia
Games freezing sounds like a contact issue and not like an ap issue. Try to clean the contacts of the card (but not with water)
Good to know! As I said, flashcarts aren't my home territory (only just started using them again in the past few months myself) so others would know better. :ha:

That being said, there wasn't much reason to switch off of YSMenu if that was the only problem you were finding, sorry if you got bad advice. Also - you're looking for 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, it's pretty easy to find at electronics and some hardware stores

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho.