Hacking I think I killed my R4i Gold...

DylanMcNeill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
This happened a while ago actually. I was updating my R4i Gold with the latest patch to make it compatible with the latest 3Ds update. The flash utility was written in a way that you press A to flash the new firmware. On instinct, once the patch was done, I pressed A again to exit the Utility...except it started flashing again! That time it flashed successfully, but from that point on, it just...stopped working.

By that, if I put it in my 3ds, my system will hang indefinitely. It's a bit of a weird hang though. The Ambient sounds still play, and the click sounds still work if I click on something...the little icons still spin around on the top screen. I just cant do anything...at all. Nothing functions and I have to force power off the 3ds.

I'm almost positive that I have a dead cart on my hands now, but before I chuck it down the can, I just wanted one more reassurance that...just in case there was SOMEthing I could do.

Thanks for listening to me.

Morbidcrab

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happened a while ago actually. I was updating my R4i Gold with the latest patch to make it compatible with the latest 3Ds update. The flash utility was written in a way that you press A to flash the new firmware. On instinct, once the patch was done, I pressed A again to exit the Utility...except it started flashing again! That time it flashed successfully, but from that point on, it just...stopped working.

By that, if I put it in my 3ds, my system will hang indefinitely. It's a bit of a weird hang though. The Ambient sounds still play, and the click sounds still work if I click on something...the little icons still spin around on the top screen. I just cant do anything...at all. Nothing functions and I have to force power off the 3ds.

I'm almost positive that I have a dead cart on my hands now, but before I chuck it down the can, I just wanted one more reassurance that...just in case there was SOMEthing I could do.

Thanks for listening to me.
Hmmmmm Have you tried to format the Micro SD card, tried to re-update it?

Attachments

• 1349068306503_vectorized.png
    1349068306503_vectorized.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 232

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
if the system hangs then the header is indeed corrupt

do you have another flashcard by any chance?
also what revision is your R4i Gold (turn it over to see connectors on card, furthest right pin to the top you should see a letter or a number)

it is possible you can load the flash update on another card then swap the cards over and flash it
please note you cannot do this on a 3DS or DSi as the console will not allow for card swapping

DylanMcNeill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
My girlfriend has an older DS Lite, and we've got a handful of classic R4 flash carts. Would this work?

My card's revision is "3".

EDIT: Whoops. I was flipping my cart through my fingers (random fidgeting while reading a news feed) and I noticed that the revision is in fact a "9". Part of the number must have been obscured by the plastic pin protector on the right side.

tranfeer

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You need to borrow a NDSL and another workable flashcard to repair your r4i gold(r4ids.cn).
Please have a look at readme.txt attached and do as the procedures listed on how to fix a broken r4i gold.
Just do as the procedures suggested.

DylanMcNeill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
You need to borrow a NDSL and another workable flashcard to repair your r4i gold(r4ids.cn).
Please have a look at readme.txt attached and do as the procedures listed on how to fix a broken r4i gold.
Just do as the procedures suggested.
I just stated I have an older DS Lite and an older original R4, and was asking if this would work...

DylanMcNeill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Opened the flasher utility with an Original R4 on a DS Lite and swapped game carts with the r4i gold. worked like a charm, card's good as new.

ThanksPong20302000!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place