I Think I Bricked My NDS (Pics)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by JDMEVOIXMR, Jan 17, 2008.

Jan 17, 2008
  1. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

Member JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Okay,so I bought a shell case from eBay, i attempted to turn my silver NDS into a pearl blue one. so i took it apart, and when i put it back together, it didn't work. so i opened it up, and i accidentally ripped one of the conductive wires!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First off, I don't know where to get replacement conductive wires. And 2nd, even if i DO get some, i don't know if the DS would work because it wouldn't power on even BEFORE I ripped the wires. When I try to turn it on, the the power LED turns on, the touch screen flashes, and then it dies. I tried charging, and it won't charge! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please help GBATemp! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    I bought a shell for my NDS Phat some time ago.
    Verdict: DO NOT BUY SHELLS FOR NDS PHATS!

3. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    1stly, You've somehow blow a fuse.

2ndly, the DS will not boot without the top screen attached (You've disconnected the top screen.)

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    This man speaks the truth, if both screens are not plugged in properly the hardware tests the DS runs when it boots will fail and the DS will turn itself off. From reading other shock! threads I think I recall people saying the power light will flash for a split second then everything goes off, exactly how you described. If you're lucky the rest of the DS is fine, a lot of people have trouble connecting the screens back up because they don't push the ribbon cable in far enough before locking it in place (it goes into the screen connector quite a long way before it connects properly) so if you're lucky that's all that was wrong in the first place.

I've no idea how reliable these sites are, but here's a few ribbon cable suppliers Google threw up:
    http://www.console-spares.co.uk/catalog/in...ref=Nintendo+DS
    http://www.ps2laser.co.uk/nintendo_spares.htm
    https://www.ps2repairs.co.uk/catalog/produc...products_id=424

5. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    you should use the macro mode on your camera, these photos are too blurry

from what I am guessing in your photos since they aren't clear is that you broke the connector from the cpu to the top screen. you'll just have to replace that cable. on dealextreme you'd have to buy it with the screen and I think they might sell them on ebay. it'll cost you about $10.

6. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom

I had the EXACT same issue a while ago. The only thing you need to make sure is that the top to bottom screen connector on the bottom mainboard is put in correctly. Seriously. That thing is a bitch to get in right so just force it as much as you can.
    Secondly, I don't think you broke anything important. That black wire which is missing is only there to provide sound to the left speaker. The DS will still work but just won't have any sound coming out of the left speaker.
    Just get a small piece of insulated copper wire and just solder it back in and it should be as good as new.
    It happened to me as well.

Link to my topic:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=59634

7. Akdul

Member Akdul GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    You're wrong. When a fuse is blown, nothing turns on (power led, touch screen, etc).

I also damaged one of the small ribbons of the touch screen, it still displays the image, but the touching doesn't work.

8. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

United States
    ....but even if i do get a new ribbon, my NDS didn't work BEFORE i accidentally ripped it. soo...uhhh...solution? do you guys think i did anything wrong? -_____-

9. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Oh Lawd.. read the posts before whining some more. I already answered your question in my post earlier.
    You didn't insert the ribbon in properly so it wouldn't turn on completely.
    The thing is, when your DS turns on, it does a complete systems check. Thats why the little green light comes on.
    If the light doesn't come on, you've blown a fuse.
    If the green light comes on and the bottom screen flashes and then the DS turns itself off, the top screen isn't connected.
    If both screens flash it means the microphone is probably broken.
    The conductive wire which you snapped off is not that important and the DS will work anyway without it. I have verified this.

10. JDMEVOIXMR
    OP

United States
    ^ i apologize for that. thanks for your support! [​IMG] I'll see if i can fix it, i hope i can.