Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
joelozy said:
BakuFunn said:
Just call Nintendo and ask for repairs... You'll have to pay for it because you're not under warranty, but it's better than paying for a new DS. Say you dropped it, and everything's messed up. Pretend to be an idiot. that helps a lot.

You could always try to go the way of other professionals to remove the screw and finish replacing the case, but if you're lazy, just send it into Nintendo.

I was going to say that I dropped it in an earlier post. How much would it cost for Nintendo to replace it? And what other professionals could help (where do I find them?)

PS: Go pun somewhere else.
I know you said it. It's a great excuse that works for nearly everything.

For reference, to replace a DS Phat's cracked and leaking top LCD screen out of warranty, it cost me 60 dollars. I'm guessing it's around the same rate, but might be cheaper or more expensive now (Mind you, this was before the DS Lite came out and the price dropped.)

For professionals, many thrift game stores offer repair services for a fraction of the price of Nintendo's (But you can't always verify the quality of the repair) and you could try going to some general hardware workshops that will help you remove a stripped screw. They usually don't give a damn what you're disassembling, and their rates are usually quite reasonable.

Try calling Nintendo first. It'll be a decent price and you'll be sure it's in perfect working condition.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
joelozy said:
BakuFunn said:
Just call Nintendo and ask for repairs... You'll have to pay for it because you're not under warranty, but it's better than paying for a new DS. Say you dropped it, and everything's messed up. Pretend to be an idiot. that helps a lot.

You could always try to go the way of other professionals to remove the screw and finish replacing the case, but if you're lazy, just send it into Nintendo.

I was going to say that I dropped it in an earlier post. How much would it cost for Nintendo to replace it? And what other professionals could help (where do I find them?)

PS: Go pun somewhere else.
I know you said it. It's a great excuse that works for nearly everything.

For reference, to replace a DS Phat's cracked and leaking top LCD screen out of warranty, it cost me 60 dollars. I'm guessing it's around the same rate, but might be cheaper or more expensive now (Mind you, this was before the DS Lite came out and the price dropped.)

For professionals, many thrift game stores offer repair services for a fraction of the price of Nintendo's (But you can't always verify the quality of the repair) and you could try going to some general hardware workshops that will help you remove a stripped screw. They usually don't give a damn what you're disassembling, and their rates are usually quite reasonable.

Try calling Nintendo first. It'll be a decent price and you'll be sure it's in perfect working condition.

So I should call Nintendo? I really was hoping that I could just use the online thing, but my serial no won't work. $60 seems a bit steep, as all they need to do is to remove a screw. And rearrange everything, and change the button pads...

joybeba6679

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look, first of all, if you didnt know what you were doing why did you tried it in the first place? Second, openning and closing a DS lite is no easy task but how in the world could you damage a screw with a screwdriver special for it? Ive opened my DS lite lots of times and it has never happened.

Third, since you dont want to buy a replacement shell which is the best option, then you would have to contact nintendo and buy a refurb one for 80 dollars, thats what my option was and mine was purchased in 2006 too.

So in conclusion, either buy a replacement shell or call nintendo and see what option they give or just STFU, stop whinning and buy another DS, simple as that
wink.gif

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joybeba6679 said:
Look, first of all, if you didnt know what you were doing why did you tried it in the first place? Second, openning and closing a DS lite is no easy task but how in the world could you damage a screw with a screwdriver special for it? Ive opened my DS lite lots of times and it has never happened.

Third, since you dont want to buy a replacement shell which is the best option, then you would have to contact nintendo and buy a refurb one for 80 dollars, thats what my option was and mine was purchased in 2006 too.

So in conclusion, either buy a replacement shell or call nintendo and see what option they give or just STFU, stop whinning and buy another DS, simple as that
wink.gif

A replacement shell wouldn't help, because the screw is stuck in a really deep hole (check the upper left screw on your DS). I know what I was doing, I watched 4 different guides on how to open a DS. But the screw driver messed up, and now my DS is too. And when was I whining? Please read my posts carefully next time before you tell someone what to do.

joybeba6679

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You were given options, just take one and continue with your life, why would you want answers when you dont read them well
wink.gif
. There are your only options, take the one you like the most...

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joybeba6679 said:
You were given options, just take one and continue with your life, why would you want answers when you dont read them well
wink.gif

I said I can't get a replacement shell as the screw is messed up. I think I'll jsut call Nintendo and see what the damage is.

EDIT: I think I bent my DS out of shape when I was trying to get that last screen off. I hope the repair won't be over $100.

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
I had a broken hinge on my silver DS Phat. It would cost me $60 to get the case replaced. You're not going to get charged $60 to remove a screw.

Edit: And round-trip shipping was included in the $60. If you have an option, try to get it shipped out of state. If the work is done in state, you can get charged sales tax. That's what happened to me with my Wii. Called once to get the quote, guy was going to ship it to WA, I called a second time to get the Wii shipped, guy shipped it to CA and got sales tax added.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
joybeba6679 said:
wink.gif

+1

No one here can fix your mistakes for you free of charge -- not even if you pester.

By the way, if you tell Nintnedo you dropped your DS, and then they see the stripped screw, they will know that you are lying.

No drop can remove or strip screws... They will know that you tampered with it.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
joybeba6679 said:
wink.gif

+1

No one here can fix your mistakes for you free of charge -- not even if you pester.

By the way, if you tell Nintnedo you dropped your DS, and then they see the stripped screw, they will know that you are lying.

No drop can remove or strip screws... They will know that you tampered with it.

Yeha, that's why I was hesitant on calling Nintendo. Do you think that they would fix it if I said I was trying to do a DIY button fix? I now that would void the warranty, but I don't have one. And it's not just removing the screw, it's realigning whatever I popped. I never said I wanted to fix my mistake for free. I knew that I should have paid in the first place.

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have never sent anything in to Nintnedo, so I don't really know. I imagine they would fix it for you, but I imagine that they would charge you for this.

You could try asking the phone operator how much they would charge you. I imagine it will be up to $100.

I am sure it will be cheaper if you just drill out the screw and change the case yourself.

Or, you could just buy a refusbished DSL from China for US$98 with free shipping. (Priceangels, etc)

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's actually something I did about a year ago. It wasn't with a DS - I did it on a PSP. If you take a regular screwdriver (I used a flathead,) and lightly (LIGHTLY!) tap it with a hammer into the screw, eventually you'll make an indent in the screw with absolutely no damage. Then, with this small indent, the screwdriver has something to grip onto, and you'll easily get it out.

Mind you, it's very easy, but takes a load of time. It took me about a half hour to get mine out - but once it's out, you'll be quite happy. This'll save you any fee's - you may not even need to replace the screw, if you hammered it in far enough for a nice grip.

PS: Put a cloth under the DS while you lightly hammer the screwdriver into it, because you don't want ANY damages... To your floor or to the DS!

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MasterPenguin said:
Here's actually something I did about a year ago. It wasn't with a DS - I did it on a PSP. If you take a regular screwdriver (I used a flathead,) and lightly (LIGHTLY!) tap it with a hammer into the screw, eventually you'll make an indent in the screw with absolutely no damage. Then, with this small indent, the screwdriver has something to grip onto, and you'll easily get it out.

Mind you, it's very easy, but takes a load of time. It took me about a half hour to get mine out - but once it's out, you'll be quite happy. This'll save you any fee's - you may not even need to replace the screw, if you hammered it in far enough for a nice grip.

PS: Put a cloth under the DS while you lightly hammer the screwdriver into it, because you don't want ANY damages... To your floor or to the DS!

Good idea, but the screw is about 1/2 cm (rough estimate) in a deep hole. And I don't have a screw driver small enough. I think I'll call tommorrow, and I'll update everyone on how much it will be. I don't think repairs will be $100. It will probably be about $60 (half price). When I cracked my iPod screen a year ago, the Apple Store gave me a refurb for $129, and I don't think Nintendo will charge more than Apple (half the price of the system).

I mean, if it was $100, I could get a new DS for a couple bucks more.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
joelozy said:
MasterPenguin said:

Good idea, but the screw is about 1/2 cm (rough estimate) in a deep hole. And I don't have a screw driver small enough. I think I'll call tommorrow, and I'll update everyone on how much it will be. I don't think repairs will be $100. It will probably be about $60 (half price). When I cracked my iPod screen a year ago, the Apple Store gave me a refurb for $129, and I don't think Nintendo will charge more than Apple (half the price of the system).

I mean, if it was $100, I could get a new DS for a couple bucks more.

I frankly don't see any competition between spending $5 to fix a problem and $50 (Guess). I'd take the $5 any day.
blink.gif

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, the volume button fell off inside the DS, and I don't think I can reattach it. I don't think it will cost $100, as another guy said he got a DS Phat fixed for $60 shipping included.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude your ignorance is really disappointing.

If you send it in to Ninty, it should be 80 dollars. If they see that you fucked with it, there is a good chance they WONT replace it, regardless of warranty or not. They will ship it back, possibly with a repair refund minus shipping costs.

Your fuckin repair options - melt the hole out with a soldering iron
or
have a hardware store drill the screw out
or
make a screw indent like the one guy said.

If you melt the case out you can buy a new one on deal extreme for 12 dollars.

Volume button fell off, what do you mean by that? The slider fell into the case, or the part that is soldered to the DS motherboard broke off? Slider is just popping a piece of plastic back in, and the other one is a delicate but doable solder job.

As previously mentioned, I fail to see how you fucked up with a screwdriver made specifically for this.

Regardless, I present you with all the facts you will need and your viable options.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:
Dude your ignorance is really disappointing.

If you send it in to Ninty, it should be 80 dollars. If they see that you fucked with it, there is a good chance they WONT replace it, regardless of warranty or not. They will ship it back, possibly with a repair refund minus shipping costs.

Your fuckin repair options - melt the hole out with a soldering iron
or
have a hardware store drill the screw out
or
make a screw indent like the one guy said.

If you melt the case out you can buy a new one on deal extreme for 12 dollars.

Volume button fell off, what do you mean by that? The slider fell into the case, or the part that is soldered to the DS motherboard broke off? Slider is just popping a piece of plastic back in, and the other one is a delicate but doable solder job.

As previously mentioned, I fail to see how you fucked up with a screwdriver made specifically for this.

Regardless, I present you with all the facts you will need and your viable options.

Chill out. You don't need to get all worked up about this. I've had this DS for about 3 years, and I know the 3DS is right around the corner. It's not really a big deal, but I was about halfway through DQIX, and I really wanted to beat it.

And I said like 3 times that the screw is in a pretty deep hole (not where any of my super small flathead screwdrivers can fix, anyway).
or
you said I could have a hardware screw drill it out. A solid idea, but do you think they have drills that small? Just asking a question here, I'm not being sarcastic. If they do, will Lowe's/ Home Depot do it?
or
If I melt the case. Hmm, how would I do that. I don't have access to a soldering iron, and why would I melt the case, and leave the screw in there?
or
I could send it into Nintendo. I don't think that would cost more than $60. If it does, then I won't do it.

Any you failing to see how I screwed up? I'm not a pro like you, so that's probably why. That's why I don't want to risk another chance of messing up my DS by moving the circuit board and stuff.

I think that I really broke my DS when I bent the case trying to get the case open with the screw still in there.

Let's see: The GBA slot is messed up, the volume button ain't there, and the bottom of the DS is popped open. Everyone makes mistakes, I don't see why you think that open a DS would have a 100% success rate.

EDIT: For reference, the hole the screw is in is super small, I can't even stick a stylus in there.

Schizoanalysis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Remember one thing --

Take your flashcard out befiore you send it to Nintendo.

I know someone who left an R4 in their console when they sent it in -- Nintendo kept it.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ha, I won't leave my Acekard in there. It doesn't even fit any more.

I think I found the problem- there is a huge bulge right under where the battery should be. What do you think that is? The volume button? Or Did I break something? Also, would Home Depot or Lowe's take out the screw? Thanks guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto