I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've seen quite a few topics around the board in different areas asking 'Has this game been dumped yet'. To be honest, it's annoying. Whatever happened to the rule 'We do not condone piracy in any way"? By discussing if a game has been dumped yet is indirectly supporting piracy, only because we're letting people know that these games are now available for them to steal. I'm sure someone would argue that G-Online had the same purpose, but G-Online is a release archive of what's available, and it doesn't tell the future of 'when a game is released' or open discussion as to how to pirate said game.

The problem with topics being created like this is that the original poster's intent is to be stealing the game, which apparently we don't condone, and discussions about stealing the game should be NO different at all. I feel that if we are going to be talking about a game, we should take ABOUT it and not about PIRATING it. That topic about 'when the GRID rom will be released' is disturbing because it's filled with 12 year olds who are constantly hitting Refresh waiting for a new game to pop up for them to steal, with them posting 'is it available?' or 'has it been dumped?' or 'omg I want this game soo badly why is it not dumped yet!?' If they want it so badly, they can get their parents to buy it. I'm just sick of seeing topics like this, and I'm sure a lot of other people are too, which is why we need to put a stop to it, and not allow people to discuss the pirating of a game.

End rant.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You got my vote, but I do think that topics like this one should be allowed.
This topic is just for hyping and discussing the game, and I like those topics.
They are very informative and handy
smile.gif

But every post with 'has it been dumped yet?' in topics, should be deleted.

Flawsdraw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's wrong with wanting to wait for a game or have information on how it works? Piracy might be bad but as long as the sites aren't written or any information where to get them then there is no problem.. to stop talking about it would lose over 3/4 of the members.. I'm speaking on behalf of most the members who do like information on games.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
smile.gif

I agree with this whole heartedly.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Satangel said:
smile.gif

Yes, anticipation is fine. Endless pestering is not.

Maikel Steneker said:
I don't agree that these topics should be deleted because they're condoning privacy, but they should be deleted because they're annoying.

I think that both reasons as fair. I think that threads asking which flashcard to get should be banned too. They also condone piracy. (threads advising which one to get are fine)

QUOTE(Flawsdraw @ Aug 19 2008, 10:47 AM)
What's wrong with wanting to wait for a game or have information on how it works? Piracy might be bad but as long as the sites aren't written or any information where to get them then there is no problem.. to stop talking about it would lose over 3/4 of the members.. I'm speaking on behalf of most the members who do like information on games.
Yes, but that 3/4 only joined to GET roms. They are the noobs who only gain things from being a member, they are LEACHERS.
At least the other 1/4 contributes stuff. For example I joined to find out about the R4, I at least contribute randomly. I even bought an M3 cause its awesome.
Narin, another example. He joined to get cheats for his flashcart. He then continued (and improved) rayders work, and as of such, quickly rose to his current title.

I agree with this rule and you have my vote.
________________________________________________________________________________

========================================================================
Triple line whip to anyone who cares.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Satangel said:
smile.gif

That's *exactly* what I'm getting at
smile.gif
I love anticipation threads, to talk about the game. That's what it should be about. But when someone openly shows they want to piss all over the developer by making threads asking when a dump will be available for stealing, it's disheartening.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
callmebob said:
Know what you mean, but as long as there are (12 yr. old) noobs, who can´t read the rules, I don´t think that will ever change.

dry.gif

That's why there are moderators
wink.gif

If someone breaks a rule, they are there to lock topics, remove posts, and teach the noobs.

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
Preferably spanking... or whipping *with licorice whips*
laugh.gif

Yeah, I agree with you, There should be some crackdown with noobs and there requests for roms, But the admins and mods do try as hard as they can but the noobs dont pay attention.. All they care about is the game..
tongue.gif

plainoangelmb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YUP
I've been on other websites and every two minutes someone would pop up asking if a game had been dumped yet and the mods would just post the link for the release site... ugh it's so annoying

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
exactly.
Noobs are sselfish, and they rarely contribute,
I think that someone should add a thing next to the "I will not ask for roms on GBAtemp" thing,
"I will not leach off GBAtemp"
EDIT:
ooh, and change the first one to
"I will not ask about roms on GBAtemp.net"
If they change it... I would like some credit... no?... ok...

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. It was really funny over the past Month+ as more "rom related" threads have been popping up... its like hearing a song on the radio say "shit" in it. I was wondering, "Wait, did i really read that right?" Then they started popping up moreso.

End the rom threads... hell, i think any rom discussion should be killed. Even the "____ rom won't run!" Those people need to check their cards site. Homebrew and whatnot i think would be cool. And even the news mentioning about dumps, cool... but we are entering a new era where nintendo is starting to crack down on things. I don't want Temp to get fucked over in the process.

GBAtemp is not for rom disussion. Thats what irc is for
lecture.gif
wink.gif

EDIT:
DeMoN said:
I'd say no. Because if we did that then we'd simply become a smaller version of GameFAQs, and we wouldn't want that, would we?
smile.gif

Nah, we don't want to be GameFAQs NOW. But we could be like GF back in the day. And that WAS a useful site. Anyone? Hello? ...i'm old...

BiscuitCookie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would say sorta yes to this rule. To see threads or posts like "when is dump of (xxx) coming out" or "why hasn't (xxx) been dumped yet" ok mine versions are a litle more polite but it's still anoying. Anticipation is fine leaching not. This place is about hacking roms and discussing games not finding roms and discussing rom sites.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."