Nudibranch Lover
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I'm really excited for the US release of FFIV DS next week, and I thought it would be nice to have a thread where people can count down to the release, discuss their thoughts on the game, and ask any questions that fellow 'tempers might be able to answer.

Personally, I've played through the (J) version twice thanks to the incredible job BelmontSlayer, Jisteatin, and Raganook did on the menu translation patch. I've done most everything and gotten most rare items. There are only a few things I'm saving for my third playthrough. I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about the gameplay, graphics, etc, as well as any questions about the differences between FFIII DS and FFIV DS, or the differences between versions of FFIV. There's also a new element in this game, called the "Decant Ability" system, that FFIV fans from other platforms might not be familiar with yet.

Now, I'm no expert on Final Fantasy lore, chronology, or naming, but I'm sure other 'tempers are if you have questions about that too.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, even thought it's a re-make, I think this game is the best RPG on the system. And I've played most of them to death. The gameplay has only been improved from the originals, the story is epic, the new scenes are incredibly well done for the DS, and the Japanese voice acting was top notch. I think it will be a huge success here in the 'states, and will probably end up in the top 5 of most DS gamers.

So fire away, but remember a few things:
  • The US ship date is July 22nd. That means it won't be in stores until the 23rd. So don't start whining if the dump isn't out by the 22nd.
  • For any newcomers, GBAtemp does not host ROMs. Asking for a rom, or asking where to find a rom will likely get you banned.
  • This thread isn't about whether or not they should remake FFVII. Take it somewhere else.

yaynds.gif

edit_text

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was so pleased when I picked up FFIII, I kept thinking this is what a FF should be. The graphics were impressive, the game play was classic. By all accounts it appears that FF4 will trump it in every area. Now for me, having a b-day next week, I could not ask for anything better to kill my time with.

e_t

edit_text

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what really helped me get past the difficulty of FFIII... ... ...cheating!!!

Actually I only ended up cheating after I had lost my save which I had 30+ hours on. I tried to keep it balanced so that I could catch back up to where I was quickly without having too much of an advantage afterwords. Needless to say, it didn't work... ...I ended up not finishing the game. Now I have a now 20+ hour game going, and I am hell bent on beating it before 4 hits.

e_t

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
natkoden said:
What about the difficulty level? I remember FF3 was very hard... at least for me xD
Overall, I think it's slightly more difficult than FFIII DS, but much, much more enjoyable. There definitely seems to be more of an emphasis in this game on wearing the correct armor and using the correct spells in each "dungeon". I definitely wouldn't classify it as a game you can just hack your way through, but I don't remember having to do any extraordinary amounts of leveling either. It's more about finding the right approach to each area.

And thank Jebus, there's no character level / job level system like FFIII.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kainazzo had some tougher attacks this time around, but the strategy is still the same: a couple blasts of lighting while his water shield is up and he's fried.

Grinding, definitely. The level curve is much higher this time around. Where the SNES version permitted you to go straight to Eblan castle and loot the chests as soon as you had the airship, this time around you'll die without exception. I recall I would have to level up a few times to gain the float spell before entering the Sylph or summon caves, this time around I already had it plus the next spells.

I probably made things harder than necessary by ignoring the new skills though. I didn't even notice them until I was literally within the bottom couple floors of the final level.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm so anxious, I downloaded and beat the japanese one about five months ago.

I patched it, because I can't read japanese... (Yet, I'm taking a course next semester.)

Luckily I've played FFIV a bajillion times and already knew the story. It is true that the difficulty of this incarnation is fairly intense at times, it takes after the original Japanese hard type, so expect a challenge.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
I really hope they're planning on remaking FFV and VI, too.

Apexx said:
it takes after the original Japanese hard type, so expect a challenge.

Thank god for that. US SNES version was easy mode, I would have been extremely disappointed if they were to do the same thing with this version.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Where the SNES version permitted you to go straight to Eblan castle and loot the chests as soon as you had the airship, this time around you'll die without exception.
So true.

QUOTE(dib @ Jul 18 2008, 12:01 PM) I probably made things harder than necessary by ignoring the new skills though. I didn't even notice them until I was literally within the bottom couple floors of the final level.
That was the key for me as well. I didn't realize until the end of my first playthrough how valuable the decant abilities were. Especially some of the DA's that you get from team members who may leave the team.

As a general tip to those unfamiliar with Decant Abilities (trying not to spoil anything), don't be afraid to give a DA (or two) to a team member that you know might leave. It usually results in getting a better DA in return. That's pretty much the way team members pass on their specific abilities (instead of jobs, etc).

BTW, I forgot to mention it in my first post, but if the Japanese save doesn't transfer to the US rom, I'm pretty sure I'm going to smash my DS.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
do i need to play III to enjoy this?

Yes because after 1, they are all sequels and the story continues where it left off at in the previous version.

oi, if you bought that, you're dumber than a doorknob, each FF game is it's own game except for a select few spinoff titles

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
nah i just tried it with R4 didnt enjoy,hoped 4 might be a little more better

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
nah i just tried it with R4 didnt enjoy,hoped 4 might be a little more better

He's messing with you. The only Final Fantasies that are sequels are 10 and 10-2, 12 and Reverent wings.

Even the Ivalic Alliance have little in common with each other.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WileCoyote said:
I've played the gba version somewhat,are chocobos more involved in the game past the begining?
No, not really. There's only one part of the game where black chocobo travel is necessary. Other than that, they are entirely optional. The item carrying restrictions have been eased, so you don't really ever need fat chocobos either. There's one small sidequest event where you have to visit a chocobo paddock, but nothing near as bad as trying to find any damn legendary smiths.

Lots of cool stuff in this game, but chocobos ain't a highlight.

@jan777: You don't need to play FFIII to enjoy this. The only thing you might want to do is play a little of FFIII DS just to appreciate how much better FFIV DS is.
wink2.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
jan777 said:
do i need to play III to enjoy this?

Yes because after 1, they are all sequels and the story continues where it left off at in the previous version.

oi, if you bought that, you're dumber than a doorknob, each FF game is it's own game except for a select few spinoff titles
You're kidding right? They have nothing to do with each other.

And why is this so much better than FF3? I realize that 4's story is better but the battle engine looks pretty much the same.

Taedirk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything really noteworthy about the additions? I remember hearing about the standard remake-post-game-dungeon being thrown in there as well as the new abilities, but not much else.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let's see...there's voice overs, that's one thing. Also the backgrounds in battle were worked on and look more detailed, I think? And I thought besides the extra dungeon or whatever, there were some scenes/story that never made it into the original game?

And did you read the spoiler, DeMoN?
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte