I need to expand my C partition

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
In the time its taken you to say BULLSHIT you cant do it . I have created 2 partitions shrunk 1 and extended C: :-P
And i deleted both again and turned it back to normal

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
As long as the partition you want to take the size from comes AFTER C and you're not dualbooting it shouldn't be possible to fuck things up with GParted unless you either try or there's a power outage during writing to disk.
Now this is something I fear of. I live in a 3rd world country, and power-outages happen very often, I hope nothing bad happens D:
Also I am dualbooting my PC with Ubunto, which is installed on E. Maybe there is some kind of way to change disk partitions with it?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As long as the partition you want to take the size from comes AFTER C and you're not dualbooting it shouldn't be possible to fuck things up with GParted unless you either try or there's a power outage during writing to disk.
Now this is something I fear of. I live in a 3rd world country, and power-outages happen very often, I hope nothing bad happens D:
Also I am dualbooting my PC with Ubunto, which is installed on E. Maybe there is some kind of way to change disk partitions with it?
Um. If you're dualbooting you need to make sure the Ubuntu partition stays in the same place or you'll have to reinstall GRUB. That means you can't move the start of that partition or your PC won't boot. (It's not THAT hard to reinstall GRUB but something you probably don't want to deal with) Also the writing to disk when moving partitions can take a LONG time, it took me about 30 minutes to move a 20GB partition 2GB to the right.
EDIT: Wait, did you install Ubuntu with Wubi? In that case this might not apply to you... although I'm not sure.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The

gParted doesn't care if it is "C" or "E". These are Windows-specific drive letters. It depends on unallocated space on the physical disk.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

gParted doesn't care if it is "C" or "E". These are Windows-specific drive letters. It depends on unallocated space on the physical disk.
gParted doesn't care but Windows does and not being able to boot is not a good thing in my opinion. Let's say C is on /dev/sda2 that means you can't move that partition around or the bootloader won't be able to find Windows anymore.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Um. If you're dualbooting you need to make sure the Ubuntu partition stays in the same place or you'll have to reinstall GRUB. That means you can't move the start of that partition or your PC won't boot. (It's not THAT hard to reinstall GRUB but something you probably don't want to deal with) Also the writing to disk when moving partitions can take a LONG time, it took me about 30 minutes to move a 20GB partition 2GB to the right.
EDIT: Wait, did you install Ubuntu with Wubi? In that case this might not apply to you... although I'm not sure.
Yes I used Wubi.

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The

gParted doesn't care but Windows does and not being able to boot is not a good thing in my opinion.

That's what I'm saying the whole time. gParted disregards drive letters and he might end with his system partition on a different drive letter (which isn't even the worst case), that is why I don't recommend messing with NTFS partitions via Unix unless you know exactly what you're doing and how to recover in case you mess up.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

gParted doesn't care but Windows does and not being able to boot is not a good thing in my opinion.

That's what I'm saying the whole time. gParted disregards drive letters and he might end with his system partition on a different drive letter (which isn't even the worst case), that is why I don't recommend messing with NTFS partitions via Unix unless you know exactly what you're doing and how to recover in case you mess up.
And that's why I'm making sure he's not planning to move the main partition. If he doesn't, everything will be fine.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Why do you have 2 different Data partitions?
Best idea I can see without moving partitions is to uninstall everything on C and reinstall it on D.

For Partitions use Easeus. If you try to shrink/expand the system drive it will make a marker and reboot into a mode where it can. You need to do the following:
1. Shrink your E Drive from the right hand side by 10-20GB.
2. Move the D and E partitions to the right so there are no gaps in the extended partition.
3. Shrink the Extended Partition from the left so there is a gap between C and the extended partition (this will be the 10-20GB of unpartitioned space you created when shrinking your E drive.
4. Apply all of this. There is a chance of data corrupting or deleting so make sure you have some kind of backup.
5. Expand the C partition from the right to fill the empty space you made and apply. It will ask to reboot your computer to apply. Do this and it will make the changes.

Edit: Didn't realise you had Ubuntu installed on the E drive. You can do the same using gParted but you'll have to do it from a Live Disk (which you will have from Ubuntu install). There won't be any need to reboot.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why do you have 2 different Data partitions?
Best idea I can see without moving partitions is to uninstall everything on C and reinstall it on D.

For Partitions use Easeus. If you try to shrink/expand the system drive it will make a marker and reboot into a mode where it can. You need to do the following:
1. Shrink your E Drive from the right hand side by 10-20GB.
2. Move the D and E partitions to the right so there are no gaps in the extended partition.
3. Shrink the Extended Partition from the left so there is a gap between C and the extended partition (this will be the 10-20GB of unpartitioned space you created when shrinking your E drive.
4. Apply all of this. There is a chance of data corrupting or deleting so make sure you have some kind of backup.
5. Expand the C partition from the right to fill the empty space you made and apply. It will ask to reboot your computer to apply. Do this and it will make the changes.

Edit: Didn't realise you had Ubuntu installed on the E drive. You can do the same using gParted but you'll have to do it from a Live Disk (which you will have from Ubuntu install). There won't be any need to reboot.
There's just one issue: move the E partition and Ubuntu might break. I'm not sure how a Wubi install handles this, but a normal install would become unusable.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh its a Wubi install... that doesn't use GRUB to boot if I remember rightly. Using Easeus and moving it should be fine. I think it'll rely on the drive ID and location in the filesystem then since its just a file within the NTFS drive

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's all the partitions you have, you can use a program like GParted (download and burn the LiveCD, Ubuntu has it installed as well if you have a CD of that) to:
-Shrink E (for example)
-Shrink the Logic Partition containing D and E
-Move the Logical Partition to the right
-Grow C

I recommend you delete some stuff from D and/or E first though. You pretty much NEED 10GB free on C to have Windows running properly.

Gparted is the easiest way to do this in my opinion, and included on ubuntu live disks. Arras knows what he's talking about. Here's a tutorial:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
    I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu: i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: