Gaming I need advice about purchasing a pre-modded black wii

Overwhelming

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone. I would be thankful for your input about this business opportunity.

Someone is willing to sell me a brand new Wii black (only opened to mod it), with 2 commands and nunchucks and motion plus (for two players), softmoded to launch backuped games from an external drive. He also includes a 320GB 2,5" external drive with over 100 game backups and a 2GB SD card.

He's charging 360€ (that's about 460USD). As a reference, a brand new Wii Black with only one command/nunchuck and motion plus costs 209€ in any store (that's around 267USD).

What do you think? Is he trying to rip me off? Or is it a good deal?

changeling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you converted right for what he's charging you. I figure it works out to about 460USD not 560. (Original currency is euros, right?)

Figuring about 60USD for an extra controller, nunchuk and motion plus. I don't know what to estimate for a 320gig drive. It's small, but enough room for many games. You could buy one yourself for maybe 50USD? Maybe more cause it's a 2.5" drive. So around 400USD in materials.

I don't think he's ripping you off.

Overwhelming

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You're right, it's 460USD, not 560USD.

So far, two people say it's a fair price, another says i'm being ripped off. I'll wait for more opinions. Thanks
smile.gif

icemasta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It'll prob. be cheaper if you got someone to send you one instead. I'll use CAD pricing since its similar to US.

1. $209 for Black Wii
2. Extra Nunchuck $25
3. Extra Remote $45
Motion Plus $25 *2 = $50
4. 320GB Hard Drive $80

Total = $409...tax is obviously extra. But I guess if you add tax it might be around the same as the guy is charging anyways. Also the prices are considering that the console and all the controllers and stuff is brand new.

Softmodding is very simple, you can do it for free without much trouble so there is no point of adding that cost.

changeling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, keep in mind too that softmodding is fairly simple and you could do it yourself for just the cost of the hardware. The only thing is the time and effort of downloading 100 games, those games are a convenience that he's including. That and the fact that the hard drive should be tested and working. From what I've read, not every hard drive will work with USB loading.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Know why it's not worth it?

Because in 4 months, a new game will come out. That game will be the world to you. You will give up your first born child to play it. But that game is going to require updated softmoding business. You will have no clue at all how to do it. You will post saying "hey i bought a premoded wii and it has some stuff." A while later you will post telling us how your wii wont boot and you don't understand why.

Mod it yourself. You will learn a lot and be able to maintenance your modding without fear in the future. Just buy a brand new one, mod it that very day. If you brick it, take that bitch back and just seem stupid and confused.

Overwhelming

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I confess I was a bit overwhelmed when checking out the wii hacking topics... Multiple software and multiple steps to soft mod, it looked complex. I'll take a closer look to those topics, to help me make a decision.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overwhelming said:
I confess I was a bit overwhelmed when checking out the wii hacking topics... Multiple software and multiple steps to soft mod, it looked complex. I'll take a closer look to those topics, to help me make a decision.

It's overwhelming, but quite easy once you get in to it.

If you do buy this softmod'd wii, I strongly strongly encourage you to find out what softmoding was done. You will need to know one day, I promise.

What CIOSs? Which revisions? Are all the IOSs latest? Are they truschad? Anything on boot2? priiloader installed? What backup loader? Is it a forwarder or a channel?

Then write that down and when the inevitable update i refer to comes up, you can at least post telling everyone where you're at.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It seems pricey for only having a 320GB included.

It should at least have a 1TB for that price.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he isn't making a ton of money on you, but you could buy all this stuff yourself, and get a 1tb for the same price. its your choice, do you want to have a softmod where you don't know what has been done or do it yourself and keep track of what you have installed so you know what to do when you break it? and you most likely will break it eventually if you don't understand it.

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree, you are not being ripped off, but it isn't like you are getting it for free either ...

I'd say it's worth the money if you want to have a ready to go complete wii pack.

If you want to spare some cash, you will have to buy all of the components yourself, download the games, format HDD and softmod the Wii.

Guess that's your choice to make
smile.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm with Ossot on this one. The price is pretty fair for the extra hardware you get (SD card, USB drive), but it's crucial to know what actually happened to your wii if you ever want to do some other things with it than what it can out of the box (e.g. installing a new game).

I suggest that if you do decide to buy it, you at least ask for a list of what is installed and what versions are used (cIOS'es? darkcorp? FAT32 or NTFS partition disc? priiloader? bootmii?). It may be confusing to you, but we've had too much people here who got themselves a premodded wii and had a problem with it later on...and without that info, we can't really help fixing the thing.
smile.gif

Smogen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hardware that is coming with this is a really nice starter package but can be purchased on your own as well, no tax could be a plus though.

As far as Hacking the Wii, it is as simple as following the tutorial in the hacking section that changeling mentioned above. That tutorial is an extremely easy to follow and is very noob friendly.

The thing that would make the difference is what kind of internet connection you have. I have 20mbit up and 20mbit down so for me to download 100 Wii games isn't really a big deal. Each Wii game you download is going to be around 4.3 gigs (a lot of this space is nothing but junk data but is included in the scene releases). If you have a mediocre connection it may be worth it to shell out the extra 40 dollars or so for the convenience of not having to download 400+gigs worth of data. On the flip side though how many of those 100 games are you never going to play.

vasili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering all the accessories, plus the HDD, I don’t think the guy is trying to rip you off. In my opinion it’s a fair price, but I’m with most of the guys in here. I think you should buy one and mod it your self. It’s pretty simple once you know how it works and have all the files.
I softmodded mine a couple months ago, and knew nothing about it myself. But after reading and searching for a wile it was nothing to it. Pretty straight forward.

Considering the flag on your profile, I assume you are Portuguese. If that’s the case, and you are interested in modding one, PM me and I will tell you all you need to get it done.

Guys, no hard feelings, but this way we can “speak” in Portuguese, and I can show him some tutorials/forum (links) in our language, since I don’t know if this is allowed in the forum.
If so, I’ll be glad to share it in here.
In fact, the tutorial is just a simple translation of a thread from gbatemp, posted here by user xzxero. Mind that the tutorial I’m talking about is properly credited to xzxero and gbatemp.

pichon64

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uruguay
Smogen said:
As far as Hacking the Wii, it is as simple as following the tutorial in the hacking section that changeling mentioned above. That tutorial is an extremely easy to follow and is very noob friendly.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but, I read that hacking the black Wii is not possible. Amirite? Or is it just harder?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
pichon64 said:
Smogen said:
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but, I read that hacking the black Wii is not possible. Amirite? Or is it just harder?
It's possible and not at all harder

They just can't read backups from disc, thats all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Floridawoman is the only thing that can ruin Floridaman +1