Hacking I have an old DSTT, will the new firmware kill it?

RubberRoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought it from GameYeeaaaah a while ago (summer of '08 iirc) and it worked well enough untill now. From the pictures on the website, it had the same case as the "fake" ones, but I bought it before all this clone killer nonsense. Is it still fake? Can I risk using the new firmware?

rajendra82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an old DSTT that was bought in paper box a while back. It was a genuine DSTT with a curved edge MicoSD slot and DSTT 2 imprinted above the gold contacts with the DS. Firmware 1.16 did not kill it at all. If yours matches the real DSTT of old, you will also be fine.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it's real, you should be fine. If it's fake 1.16 will kill it. It sounds like it's probably real, but the only way to know for sure is to open it up. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the microSD slot. If it's got a flat microSD holder with scalloped edges, it's fake. If it's got a rounded microSD holder without scalloped edges it's real:

HowToTell.jpg

Note that these pictures are only for comparison of the shape of the front edge of the SD holder. Some fake DSTT's look different from the one on the left, and some real DSTT's look different from the one on the right. But as far as I know, all fake carts use the same flat SD holder and all fakes use the same curved SD holder.

-Bri

RubberRoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not opening it up, I can see that the SD card slot is curved, not straight. Do you think it is enough to deduce that I have a real one, or should I open it up?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just to be sure, run the FakeDetector on it and see what it says (it should say "true" if it's "real" and "fake" if it's "fake"). You can find it here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086

But just to be safe, you might want to replace TTMENU.DAT with the version included in the same archive. It is a version of the 1.16 firmware with a patch applied that disables the fake-killer code.

If you accidentally kill your flash cart with fake-killer firmware, you can restore it using the DsttFlashWriter program that's included in the archive.

-Bri

rajendra82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8Does said:
Not opening it up, I can see that the SD card slot is curved, not straight. Do you think it is enough to deduce that I have a real one, or should I open it up?

Also look at the plastic openings above the gold contacts. The real DSTT has D S T T 2 printed there. The fake one that is the most difficult to distinguish from the older version of the real flash cart by looking at the front on the MicroSD slot (i.e, it lacks a gold dot or double lines running at an angle, and called fake 5 on DSTT official website) has D S T T 7 printed there.

rajendra82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks to me like an older version with stopped production, but probably real because of that real looking MicroSD slot. Probably a newer revision than the PCB pictured above (because of DSTT 3 imprinted on it instead of DSTT 2). You can run the detector program on it to be sure.

aimansss95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thah it's true!? i think...i don't really believe it too much...but your number seems different from me somehow...is your dstt is an old on or new one??

to - adjcn

adjcn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But it does not load the equal rom quickly looked in diverse videos in youtube is new, and the plastic very seems to be weak, and is difficult to remove the TTDS of inside of the DSlite PS in low where it was to have revision 2 is marked revision 3

aimansss95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
adjcn said:
But it does not load the equal rom quickly looked in diverse videos in youtube is new, and the plastic very seems to be weak, and is difficult to remove the TTDS of inside of the DSlite PS in low where it was to have revision 2 is marked revision 3

do you 100% sure that yours is a genuine one?

adjcn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
At the moment I am without camera to take off a good photo but as soon as it to arrive goes to take off a photo well clear pra people to evaluate. I do not have the minimum idea if she is original or fake

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have updated the fake detector with a newer version. You may want to re-download the archive and try it again with the new version just to be sure.

Just to be safe, you should just use the "TTMENU.DAT" that's in that archive -- it has fake-killer code disabled.

If you do happen to kill your DSTT, you can recover it using the recovery program that's in the archive.

-Bri

aimansss95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
I have updated the fake detector with a newer version. You may want to re-download the archive and try it again with the new version just to be sure.

Just to be safe, you should just use the "TTMENU.DAT" that's in that archive -- it has fake-killer code disabled.

If you do happen to kill your DSTT, you can recover it using the recovery program that's in the archive.

-Bri

what's the link?? or is it the same link??

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aimansss95 said:
what's the link?? or is it the same link??

Same link. I just updated the archive.

QUOTE(adjcn @ Dec 30 2008, 02:10 PM) now i send good image for analise

I think that's real. In fact, it looks very similar to my old one (mine is the one photographed on the right in this post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...&p=1665268).

Mine is one of the orginal ones from before the clones. It checks as "Good" using the newest DsttFlashChecker (SPANSION Am29LV400BB).

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE