I have an oddly specific request about the Wii2600 emulator

OkamiMoon591

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had to make a new account to even post about this since I guess we can't log in through FB anymore and that's what my old one was through, but hopefully someone can help me out.

My goal is to play atari 2600 games on my CRT with an actual atari joystick using emulation on my wii. I'm almost there, but i'm having an issue with the controller. I am currently using the Megadrive/SMS to Wiimote adapter (V2) by raphnet. It's not letting me post a link to it because my account is new, but if you Google that, it's the first result you'll see.

The adapter treats the controller you use like a classic controller and maps buttons accordingly; you can see the mapping it uses on that link above. I've had great luck using it with a genesis emulator. And it works with the atari controller too, but my issue is that it maps the atari's "fire" button to the classic controller's B button. This is an issue because when trying to emulate atari games with the Wii2600 emulator, the emulator expects you to use the A button from a classic controller, and I have found no way to remap this. The emulator is a port of stella, and I have looked around in the stella settings and messed with the "input" tab to map controls, but the emulator seems hard-coded to specific wii/classic controller buttons, and attempting to remap on that menu doesn't do a thing.

One workaround is to use retroarch, which I can remap the controls to, but the issue there is that when the atari pad is plugged in, I can't navigate retroarch's menus with only the one button, and it ignores all input from the wiimote itself when the classic controller is plugged in, whereas Wii2600 does not and I can navigate the menus outside of the games with the wiimote itself while still keeping the classic controller plugged in. So if I use retroarch, I have to keep plugging/unplugging the controller from my Wii remote constantly any time I want to change the game I'm playing or use any of the atari "switches" buttons. Not very ideal and I'm sure the constant plugging/unplugging will eventually put much wear and tear on the wiimote's controller port.

Is there ANY way at all that I can change the mapping for Wii600? I understand it's a very old emulator that doesn't look like it's had an update since 2009, and I myself know nothing about coding/compiling or anything of the sort other than "drag the files to my SD card and load them in the homebrew channel." Is there anyone that has the knowledge/skills to change this one button for me if at all possible? I've scoured page after page on Google trying to find any possibility and I've opened the Wii2600 files in notepad++ looking for any parameters I could possibly change, but a lot of it is like reading Greek to me and I'm just not sure what else I could try at this point. Literally if someone could somehow compile one that just switches the emulator expecting B instead of A, that would fix my issue entirely.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Have you tried using RetroArch's setting called "Overrides" ?

Simply load your Atari Core, then set your controllers properly, and once everything works, open RetroArch's Menu and choose: "Save Core Override".

It'll remember your configuration everytime you load the core.
It's an independent configuration/setting from global/general RetroArch settings.

OkamiMoon591

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Simply load your Atari Core, then set your controllers properly, and once everything works, open RetroArch's Menu and choose: "Save Core Override".

It's an independent configuration/setting from global/general RetroArch settings.
I have not, but give me a second and I will give it a shot! I think you were the one that replied to my post about this over a year ago. My old account is Bing1093 and I see my post in the related here lol thanks for such a speedy reply
Post automatically merged:

I'm not sure if I'm seeing that option. I know I'm using retroarch 1.9.1, as I had issues with it crashing when loading roms on anything higher. It's ignoring wiimote input any time the classic controller is plugged in so far.

EDIT: Just found it; lemme tinker for a second

No good I'm afraid. It seems that to avoid having to plug/unplug the controller constantly, retroarch's menu would have to be able to accept input from both the wii remote and the classic controller at the same time, and it's not wanting to do that. The classic controller makes all the wiimote buttons (except the home button) stop working as soon as it's plugged in.

Last edited by OkamiMoon591,

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have not, but give me a second and I will give it a shot! I think you were the one that replied to my post about this over a year ago. My old account is Bing1093 and I see my post in the related here lol thanks for such a speedy reply

I'm not sure if I'm seeing that option. I know I'm using retroarch 1.9.1, as I had issues with it crashing when loading roms on anything higher. It's ignoring wiimote input any time the classic controller is plugged in so far.

EDIT: Just found it; lemme tinker for a second

No good I'm afraid. It seems that to avoid having to plug/unplug the controller constantly, retroarch's menu would have to be able to accept input from both the wii remote and the classic controller at the same time, and it's not wanting to do that. The classic controller makes all the wiimote buttons (except the home button) stop working as soon as it's plugged in.
If I had your adaptor, I think I could see exactly what's all about.

But from the tip of my joystick I can think about this:

1- To open RetroArch's Menu you can alternatively press RESET on your Wii console.

2- RetroArch has the option to "bind" Confirm and Cancel buttons to other controllers other than Controller 1. It's in the [INPUTS] settings.

3- In [INPUTS] you can utilize 1 controller as multiple controllers (been playing Arcade SHMUPS with 2-3 players with 1 GCN controller) so maybe you could try doing that... but as I'm understanding it's backwards? That is, instead of multiple players with 1 controller is multiple controllers as 1 player? Never tried or thought about this, so not sure if possible.

Last edited by JuanMena,

OkamiMoon591

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried the 7800 emulator.

Should play 2600 games like the Atari 7800 ProSystem did.

wii7800 emu.
Oh? I didn’t know that emu was backwards compatible but I’ll certainly give it a try! That might be my saving grace if it’ll let me navigate the menu with the Wii remote but play the games with the Atari pad.

If I had your adaptor, I think I could see exactly what's all about.

But from the tip of my joystick I can think about this:

1- To open RetroArch's Menu you can alternatively press RESET on your Wii console.

2- RetroArch has the option to "bind" Confirm and Cancel buttons to other controllers other than Controller 1. It's in the [INPUTS] settings.

3- In [INPUTS] you can utilize 1 controller as multiple controllers (been playing Arcade SHMUPS with 2-3 players with 1 GCN controller) so maybe you could try doing that... but as I'm understanding it's backwards? That is, instead of multiple players with 1 controller is multiple controllers as 1 player? Never tried or thought about this, so not sure if possible.
Yeah I’ve tinkered with it all morning and came up blank…I’d either need retroarch to accept inputs from both the wiimote and classic controller at the same time for one player like you said (because I still need more than one button to use the “reset” button to actually start the Atari games)

or I would need to get Wii2600 to let me use A instead of B since it apparently doesn’t have an issue with letting you use the Wii remote and classic at the same time. I feel like trying to recompile it and change that single button would be the best solution, but I truly don’t know a thing about doing any of that myself.

Last edited by OkamiMoon591,

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I still need more than one button to use the “reset” button to actually start the Atari games)
I do have the Stella core in my current RetroArch setup.

Are you aware that you can remap buttons In-Core settings?

Like, if "need a button for RESET" is the only problem... then remap it?

OkamiMoon591

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have the Stella core in my current RetroArch setup.

Are you aware that you can remap buttons In-Core settings?

Like, if "need a button for RESET" is the only problem... then remap it?
Sadly the problem is that when the Atari controller is connected, then I only have the one button on it to use, so it has to be fire

I’ve also noticed recently that some of the Atari games are running slow in retroarch. Like donkey Kong or circus Atari. Not sure why because the Wii is definitely capable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.