Hacking I have an idea to translate GW (6.x) card1 save to cia/legit cart

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MT boots into a mode that allows DevMenu/cia install to run without the card inserted? If so, wouldn't someone with an MT card be able to create a fresh emunand (as small as SD card as possible), install DevMenu.cia, use cat or dd ( or WinDiskImager for those who use Windoze) to create a back up, distribute the backup for a free solution for running roms?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MT boots into a mode that allows DevMenu/cia install to run without the card inserted? If so, wouldn't someone with an MT card be able to create a fresh emunand (as small as SD card as possible), install DevMenu.cia, use cat or dd ( or WinDiskImager for those who use Windoze) to create a back up, distribute the backup for a free solution for running roms?

No, that's what I'm saying. You can boot into 9.2 emuNAND without the card inserted using their launcher, though. It will show a warning that it might not work (like Gateway does) but it actually will work. Same as Gateway with the CIAs though :(

Reactions: Margen67

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pretty sure emunand is encrypted per-console, you can't share an emunand backup. It's just a dump of your sysnand to sd.

Reactions: Margen67 and Zidapi

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
pretty sure emunand is encrypted per-console, you can't share an emunand backup. It's just a dump of your sysnand to sd.
yep you are correct....although technically if MT did allow cia files to boot in classic mode (which they don't) you could just use the 4.x CFW, install dev menu, dump the emunand from that and inject it into the MT emunand......which would give you dev menu with no card required............still pointless as they don't allow non-legit cia's to run in classic mode it would be business suicide

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep you are correct....although technically if MT did allow cia files to boot in classic mode (which they don't) you could just use the 4.x CFW, install dev menu, dump the emunand from that and inject it into the MT emunand......which would give you dev menu with no card required............still pointless as they don't allow non-legit cia's to run in classic mode it would be business suicide

Any idea if MT-Card launcher.dat is as obfuscated as Gateway?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Any idea if MT-Card launcher.dat is as obfuscated as Gateway?
from a completely non technical view point most probably not...pretty sure they just strip down the GW FW and copy what they need to paste into their FW......but in file size terms that most probably means removing most of the obfuscation

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I just read the OP again. I don't think gw dropped spi flash since saves are still written to spi when the game saves (and when you load a game). This might be caused by incompatible save chip/spi or by gw patches (though if the games work why won't savefl?)

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
1) Both GW and MT said "save corrupt" on reading dumped 6.x Card1 .3DZ + .ZAV.
2) Haven't tried reading .ZAV with SaveDataFiler in MT3D. I'll do it several hours later and post the result here.

Jurassic5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) Both GW and MT said "save corrupt" on reading dumped 6.x Card1 .3DZ + .ZAV.
2) Haven't tried reading .ZAV with SaveDataFiler in MT3D. I'll do it several hours later and post the result here.

What about card1 saves that have only been played with gateway on 9.x emuNAND? I tried on GW and it's not detected, at least for MH3U

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
What about card1 saves that have only been played with gateway on 9.x emuNAND? I tried on GW and it's not detected, at least for MH3U
1) You may have forgotten renaming the rom into .3DZ.
2) The save may be 128KB. GW never supports 128KB saves.
MH3U is 2.2 card1.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So then Gateway is still doing stupid things with CIA installation then, it's not doing it the way CFW would do it. I guess I should have expected that from them. As much as I want to respect MT-Card, it seems they did the same crap, where you can only use the installed CIA files in flashcart mode, classic mode disables it

The reason an installed .cia can't be run in classic mode is that the only patches applied to classic mode are ones that allow region free.

None of the patches that allow us to install .cias, run unsigned/zero key/no key code are applied.

Gateway could whitelist SaveDataFiler allowing it, and only it to run in classic mode. That would be a good compromise.

Jurassic5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) You may have forgotten renaming the rom into .3DZ.
2) The save may be 128KB. GW never supports 128KB saves.
MH3U is 2.2 card1.

I've never thought of that, but it makes sense. I ripped it from a cartridge, so the header should still be there. Would I be able to convert the save in that case?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Looks like a Famicom handheld