• Views 187,966
  • Replies 340
  • Likes 69

Random Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me backup my fantasy Life save from my 2ds and bring it into my new 3ds. Both are cia versions of the game.

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a reatil copy of Pokemon X, which was played on 8.x sysNAND. I really would like to copy my save to my 9.8 emuNAND (sysNAND now 4.4). I do not have a powersaves dongle. Only the Gateway and two o3DS. One o3DS on 4.4 and the other one on 9.0. Is there any way to convert the save to work on emuNAND (which as I know uses 4.x save encryption).
Perhaps with rxtools, Pasta, SDF etc.??
Thanks for your help!!

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a reatil copy of Pokemon X, which was played on 8.x sysNAND. I really would like to copy my save to my 9.8 emuNAND (sysNAND now 4.4). I do not have a powersaves dongle. Only the Gateway and two o3DS. One o3DS on 4.4 and the other one on 9.0. Is there any way to convert the save to work on emuNAND (which as I know uses 4.x save encryption).
Perhaps with rxtools, Pasta, SDF etc.??
Thanks for your help!!
Yeah, oops, this guide should really be updated. I'm not really up to date on how to do this, but I'm pretty sure it can be done like this (sorry for the un-detailed steps):
  1. Get Pasta working on sysnand
  2. Install SDF on sysnand
  3. Use SDF to extract the save from your retail cart
  4. ??? (I'm not sure if you need to uninstall SDF from sysnand before rebooting or what, I don't know much about pasta)
  5. Boot emunand
  6. Install or use SDF in emunand to restore the save

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for your answer!! Does Pasta work without Cubic Ninja on a 9.0 o3DS now?? Sadly I do not have Cubic Ninja... Is there any way to do it without it??

mmn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... Looks like pasta doesn't work without ninjhax.
I think you're out of luck without cubic ninja.

Paranoid V

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Fishaman P kindly replied to this question in another thread, but i figured askig here wouldn't do any harm:
Every time I exit system settings , close a game or change the theme on emuNAND (9.8, rxTools) it throws me back to sysNAND. Is there any way to prevent this? i have linked NANDs, do I have to format one of them so this doesn't happen?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P kindly replied to this question in another thread, but i figured askig here wouldn't do any harm:
Every time I exit system settings , close a game or change the theme on emuNAND (9.8, rxTools) it throws me back to sysNAND. Is there any way to prevent this? i have linked NANDs, do I have to format one of them so this doesn't happen?
Exiting System Settings always reboots to sysNand. I think Nintendo decided you might have made changes, so to make sure the changes take effect, it does a full reboot, which causes it to go back to sysNand. It'll happen whether you're linked or unlinked. Just run your exploit of choice to get back to emuNand.

Paranoid V

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Exiting System Settings always reboots to sysNand. I think Nintendo decided you might have made changes, so to make sure the changes take effect, it does a full reboot, which causes it to go back to sysNand. It'll happen whether you're linked or unlinked. Just run your exploit of choice to get back to emuNand.

Thanks for the reply. I was really confused about this situation. I asume the same applies when it comes to exiting theme settings and smash 4?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I was really confused about this situation. I asume the same applies when it comes to exiting theme settings and smash 4?
Yes, though in Smash's case, it's because it uses enough ram that the system closes down background tasks. So when Smash closes, the system just reboots to restart them. I believe Smash doesn't reboot a New 3DS on close, but since I don't have one, I don't know for sure.

Reactions: Paranoid V

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, oops, this guide should really be updated. I'm not really up to date on how to do this, but I'm pretty sure it can be done like this (sorry for the un-detailed steps):
  1. Get Pasta working on sysnand
  2. Install SDF on sysnand
  3. Use SDF to extract the save from your retail cart
  4. ??? (I'm not sure if you need to uninstall SDF from sysnand before rebooting or what, I don't know much about pasta)
  5. Boot emunand
  6. Install or use SDF in emunand to restore the save

Hmm... Looks like pasta doesn't work without ninjhax.
I think you're out of luck without cubic ninja.

If others have the same problem like me: I could solve it with the new CakeCFW. This allows booting through the Spider exploit and therefore it is not necessary to have Cubic Ninja!! I could decrypt my save from the retail Pokemon X using SDF on CakeCFW SysNAND and import it into my Gateway emuNAND afterwards. Works perfectly now!

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I read the OP but I'm still confused..
I want to transfer my friend's New3DS (9.0) european Monster Hunter 4 retail cart1 save to a cia on his unlinked 9.5 emunand is that even possible ?
thanks a million in advance for any kind of advice :)

(I own a New3DS too, with GW/CN/Pasta)

kheldar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I'm trying to import my Bravely Default(cia) save to a Bravely Default Modded ( rom ) but I'm failing at it on N3DS emunand.

The steps I took :

1 ) Find the title ID for Bravely Default : FC600
2 ) Export the save data to sd card using SaveDataFile -> Open SaveDataFiler -> User -> 00FC6 -> (Y) -> (A)
3 ) Close SaveDataFiler
4 ) Mount the modded game
5 ) Open Launch SaveDataFiler
4 ) Switch to SD Tab find my save which is easy because there is only one then Import the save data to ctr card

If I read the tutorial correctly it should create a .sav file on my sd card but it doesn't do so. What i might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm trying to dump my Smash retail cart save to use in a GW rom. I read this guide and found that 512KB saves can be renamed and used as needed (great!), so I did, but GW didn't use the save and made a new one instead. Wondering what the issue could be, here's my config:

N3DS sysNAND 9.2, emuNAND 9.5. Cart and Rom dumped from GW menu. Rom renamed .3dz with valid header, save renamed to game ID. I know about the encryption issues and all that, but with sysNAND/emuNAND being >6.0 and the cart being at least 8.0, what's the issue with this?

R4ndom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is it possible to create a EmuNAND which will run exactly like a previous sysNAND?

I made a EmuNAND for my n3DS 9.0.0-20E for ReiNAND a way back, and have since then formatted my sysNAND. However, the content never appear in my emuNAND as it did in sysNAND. I do have a exact backup of how my SD card was before the "Format EmuNAND", and I have a backup of my sysNAND the moment before the emuNAND format, as well as a backup of the emuNAND created. Is it possible to make it so that when I boot my emuNAND, all my content will appear at the home menu just like it was before my initial emuNAND format, games and saves and everything?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to create a EmuNAND which will run exactly like a previous sysNAND?

I made a EmuNAND for my n3DS 9.0.0-20E for ReiNAND a way back, and have since then formatted my sysNAND. However, the content never appear in my emuNAND as it did in sysNAND. I do have a exact backup of how my SD card was before the "Format EmuNAND", and I have a backup of my sysNAND the moment before the emuNAND format, as well as a backup of the emuNAND created. Is it possible to make it so that when I boot my emuNAND, all my content will appear at the home menu just like it was before my initial emuNAND format, games and saves and everything?

This isn't really the right thread for this kind of question, but I'll provide your answer anyway.

So this is a bit finiky. After you format emuNAND, start your 3DS without the SD card in it. Format sysNAND. Then turn the console off, copy your SD card backup back onto your SD card and put it in the console. Start the console. Your old emuNAND will use the RandomNumbersAndLetters folder for it's files, while sysNAND will write a new RandomNumbersAndLetters folder for its own. Everything should be as it was in emuNAND and your sysNAND will be empty meaning your NAND's are now unlinked.

Of course, make sure your backups are all in order, but sounds like you already have that handled!

R4ndom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This isn't really the right thread for this kind of question, but I'll provide your answer anyway.

So this is a bit finiky. After you format emuNAND, start your 3DS without the SD card in it. Format sysNAND. Then turn the console off, copy your SD card backup back onto your SD card and put it in the console. Start the console. Your old emuNAND will use the RandomNumbersAndLetters folder for it's files, while sysNAND will write a new RandomNumbersAndLetters folder for its own. Everything should be as it was in emuNAND and your sysNAND will be empty meaning your NAND's are now unlinked.

Of course, make sure your backups are all in order, but sounds like you already have that handled!
Nice, I did not do the sysNAND formating without the SD card in. I will do a new format after a new emuNAND format WITHOUT the SD card in, then inject my sysNAND nand.bin file into emuNAND with the SD card backup on my SD card. Wish me luck! I will report back whether it worked or not.

EDIT: So... That didn't work. :/ Did a new emuNAND format, formated the sysNAND without the SD card in, then injected the NAND.bin that I had of my sysNAND initally and also moved the entire backup of my SD card contents over to my SD card. The NAND boots up just fine in ReiNAND, but it actually created a new home menu folder on my SD card. :/ How do I make my NAND not create a new folder, but instead uses the one I have originally?

Last edited by R4ndom,

giorgoc89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If I did the whole exploit on a brand new 8.1-9.2 2DS with no save data whatsoever these shouldn't concern me right?
5. Everything about save data

.3ds saves (all)
These are the ez pz saves. They were made using a Gateway card running a
.3ds rom. There are two types of rom files: Card 1 and Card 2:

Card 1: On a retail cart, the save data would be saved to seperate memory
outside of the game ROM itself, but still on the cart. The way Gateway handles this
is by making a <titleid>.sav file on the SD card. This file can be transferred to
different systems without issue.

Card 2: On a retail cart, the save data gets stored after the ROM, in the same
memory. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think gateway does it in pretty much
the same way: the save data gets saved to the .3ds file. To back this up, you need
to use savedatafiler. Look for "CTR card"

Just a note, savedatafiler would also work for Card 1 games, but Gateway needs
to fix something for that to work. This means that you can't transfer saves from
Card 1 games to .cia games.
Our great savior LioMajor has found a way to
transfer saves from card1 games to .cia!
It works on MT Card, though.

One way to fix this is to convert your Card 1 .3ds files to Card 2. It'll only work before
you make your save though. After doing this, you can use savedatafiler to move your
save between the .3ds and .cia. You can use this tool to convert a Card 1 .3ds file into
a Card 2 one. Remember, you have to start a new save if you do this, so do it sooner
rather than later!

.cia files (all) and eshop games (<6.0.0 only, see very last "save data" section)
I'm going to write about eshop games next, because they are the next easiest to
understand. Eshop games, and their saves, are saved to the SD card. They can only
be accessed by the 3DS when it's running on the NAND that they were originally
installed with. Or, more precisely, the NAND that has the same unique info as
the NAND that installed it. This information also holds true for .cia files
(that's almost exactly what eshop games are).

I'm relatively certain, though, that save data is stored encrypted
on the SD card. If you want to back up or transfer a save, you have to use a
program called savedatafiler. It can extract and inject saves to/from the SD card.
It also has the ability to extract and inject saves in card 2 game carts, which I'll
talk about further down.

So, if you have eshop games that you want to back up the save data for,
savedatafiler is the way to do it. Here's the process (as long as the eshop
game and save data haven't been deleted from your SD card):

1. Make you have savedatafiler.3ds (renamed from .csu) on the Gateway red card
2. Backup your EmuNAND using EmuNAND tool
3. Inject your "fresh" EmuNAND backup using EmuNAND tool. This is the one that
has the same NAND data as your sysNAND did when you first started. If you don't
have a backup like this, you can also try injecting your original sysNAND backup.
4. Boot into Gateway mode
5. For each game you want to backup, find the titleid on http://3ds.essh.co/
6. Find the corresponding titleid slot in the first tab of savedatafiler and follow
the directions on the top screen to backup your save (don't choose the "secure" way)
7. The third tab of savedatafiler should show all of the data you've backed up
8. Reinject the backup you made at step 2
9. Install the eshop games again, either from eshop or .cia
10. Open savedatafiler, go to the 3rd tab, and import all of the save data

Your saves should be imported and usable! You can use a similar process for
transferring .cia or eshop saves to a different 3DS.

Note: If, after reading this section, you still have questions about how to use
savedatafiler, see this awesome guide by lemanuel.

Retail carts (<6.0.0 only, see very last "save data" section)

If you're trying to extract a Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS save, look here.
Otherwise, read on...

So this issue is, uh, complicated.

First thing's first, here's how things are supposed to work:

1. You dump your retail cart rom (or maybe obtain it another way?)
2. You dump your retail cart save
3. You rename your .3ds dump to .3dz and put it on your Gateway red card
4. You rename your .sav dump to <titleid>.sav and put it on your SD card
5. Load up the .3ds dump

Now I'm going to tell you that this will work with like 15% of games. Sorry :(
This will only work if that game's save is 512kb in size. If it isn't then it'll
read as corrupt. That's not the only issue though...

All retail games released after 6.0.0
In firmware 6.0.0-11, nintendo introduced a new way of encrypting save data.
Games that include a 6.0.0-11 or higher firmware on the retail cart use this encryption.
This is where things get dicey. One of the keys used for the encryption is loaded on
console boot. It doesn't get reloaded when you boot into EmuNAND. This used to be
an issue for 4.x users wanting to play retail carts with this kind of encryption.

Gateway basically overcame this issue by making those games playable in Classic mode
using the 4.x key loaded at boot. This meant that the games would save fine, but you couldn't
open that save on a 9.x sysnand console, and the reverse was true as well.

Well, now those 9.x sysnand saves will work in Classic mode, as long as your console is on
sysnand 9.x. Gateway properly uses the 9.x key that was loaded at boot... but if you dump
the same saves with the Gateway launcher, they won't work. I'm pretty sure this is a bug,
and I've sent an email to Gateway about it. You can read about that here.

There are two bottom lines here. The first is that dumped saves won't work under the
following conditions:

1. The game's save is not 512kb in size
2. The game uses >6.0 encryption for saving

The second bottom line is that you will lose the ability to play retail saves that use
>6.0 encryption on your 3ds if you downgrade to system NAND 4.x
Additionally, if you have >6.0 eshop games that you started playing on a >6.0 system,
and you weren't in gateway mode, you won't be able to keep those saves either*. This is because of
the aforementioned mismatch in the keys used to encrypt and decrypt saves. Basically, if
you want to continue to be able to play retail games with >6.0 save encryption, you need to
stay on the system NAND version you are currently on. You'll need to stay at that system NAND
version until gateway fixes all of these save compatability issues.

THE ISSUES IN THIS SECTION ONLY APPLY TO RETAIL CARTS! See "Eshop games and .cia files" for backing up eshop/cia saves!

* This statement seems to be contested. I can't test it myself because I don't have any eshop
games that fit the criteria, but we have two conflicting stories about this.

Running rxTools and installing the retail games as cia files means the saves work from the get go, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night