[GUIDE] The EmuNAND/Save Data Mega Guide GBATemp Doesn't Deserve

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mmn, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mmn
    OP

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    I've tried something like that before.
    I downloaded some of the picross games (bought and downloaded from eshop) on a linked emunand.
    When I switched back to sysnand, they didn't show on the home screen, but they showed in data management with little 'x' symbols on their icons. So it didn't work for games, but you can still try and see if it'll work for an update.
    Regardless, you'll still probably lose your save when you downgrade if your smash game is retail.

2. SSJShanic

SSJShanic Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    I have a new3dsxl , could i my 3dsxl use my emunand 9.5 and then use system transfer to new 3dsxl? then i could keep 3dsxl for gateway usage and new3dsxl for reatail carts

3. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
    So, if all I want to do is install Emunand so I can play my retail carts on latest firmware without having to update sysnand, do I have to bother with all that extra stuff about protecting sysnand from reading info on the SDCard that was installed on the newer Emunand version? I don't plan on playing any new games, I just need Emunand so I can access EShop to update some old stuff for online play.

4. mmn
    OP

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    If that's all you're doing then things will probably be fine. Going into data management in sysnand might be an issue, but I don't think it deletes things that were installed from the eshop (rather than from cia).

Kakkoii likes this.
  5. Kingfield

Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2007
    Can I clarify something - if my firmware is higher than 6.0, it means I won't' have the problem of having a corruptheader when i try to play games on Emunand Classic after having played it on my untouched current firmware?

6. mmn
    OP

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    I don't know what you mean by corrupt header, but at the very least your save data should stay playable.

7. -Sorun

-Sorun Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Hello quick Q before I start my shift. I just wanted to know if I could transfer my CFW govanify (no ds/3ds flashcart) save data from a original 3ds to a N3ds xl with a new gateway card ( when support is given) following this guide. Sorry just had to ask before I decide to read this wall of text at 3am. This will also decide if I do choose to buy a new 3ds and a gateway.

Margen67 likes this.
  8. mmn
    OP

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    Probably, as long as you can get at the save data using savedatafiler, and you aren't planning to transfer your saves to retail game carts. This isn't really a guide about savedatafiler though, it's more of an overview of what emunand is and the current state of affairs with regards to save data.

Margen67 likes this.
  9. rfire90

rfire90 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2015
    United States
    So if you convert a ROM to card2, then the saves will be stored on the 3ds/3dz file and not on the SD card correct?

10. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    Ok I read somewhere that the 2DS cant be Downgraded. So how I use a Gateway on a Fresh Virgin 2DS(Stock Fw)?

11. mmn
    OP

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    Yes. You have to make sure not to trim it, though.
    The same way you do on any other 3ds, provided the firmware is version 9.2 or less.

12. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Delete

keyra likes this.
  13. Liberty
    This message by Liberty has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 2, 2015, Reason: requested.
    Mar 2, 2015
  14. ceelo

ceelo GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Hey all, I was playing Pokemon AS on my gateway, but my 3ds broke. I now have a N3DS and a Sky3DS cart. With this guide, would I be able to get my save from my Gateway format to my Sky3DS format? I ask because I'm not sure if Sky3DS will say my file is corrupted :[. Any help is appreciated. The ROM itself is still a .3dz. if that matters.

15. zero2exe

zero2exe GBAtemp Fan

Jun 23, 2012
    Chile
    I finally got a chance to actually try it and can confirm that after setting up a 9.5 Emunand, downloading game updates (specifically the smash bros v1.0.5) and then restoring my sysnand to 9.2 allowed my retail cartridge to recognize the update and even go online with it, also I didn't lose any of my saves because I didn't try to play any of my games until I restored back to 9.2
    The demos and Pokemon shuffle that I downloaded on the other hand behaved exactly as you described, there was 1 exception with "steel diver sub wars" because I had previously downloaded it months ago I could initialize it back in sysnand but threw an error right after the "nintendo 3ds" screen so I'm thinking this guide should do the trick to bring all of those software back to sysnand:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-moving-eshop-content-from-emunand-to-sysnand.379879/

16. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The title of this topic deserves more praise. Made my day.

17. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    Remember that you can't play DSiware, such as Four Swords, on EmuNAND at all. You must play it on SysNAND.

If your SysNAND and EmuNAND are linked, you can back it up on EmuNAND, restore it on SysNAND, and play it.

If your SysnAND and EmuNAND are not linked, you can't do this (as far as I know--haven't tried it), which may prevent you from playing DSiware at all. This is a clear disadvantage to unlinking them, which needs to be mentioned in the guide.

(Gateway could probably eventually fix this problem, but as of now it's still a problem.)

18. Liberty

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    eShop-saves that I started on Gateway are fine to transfer, correct?

19. mmn
    OP

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    Probably. I don't know much about the details of system transfers, but if you started the save in Gateway mode, not classic mode, you're golden. It might still work if you started it in classic mode, I'm just not sure.
    I'll add it when I'm not on a phone.

20. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Awesome effort dude. Really appreciate it :)

21. mmn
    OP

mmn GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    United States
    Actually, I just thought about it again. If you want to install DSiWare on sysnand, you can still reload a backup of a linked emunand and install the DSiWare on that, then restore it. If you don't have any linked backups, you can just format EmuNAND again from the GW menu.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted