I have a choice between a PS3 or 360...

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Wii, so I'm no graphic wh0re, nor do I solely play FPS.

In any case, I'm not that rich, so I'll probably only get 2 consoles this generation. So, it's between the PS3 and 360. No mentions of getting a gaming PC please.

Right now I'm leaning on the PS3, solely it'll probably have the next Persona (4 is one of my all-time favorites). I've only dabbled in the Wii scene, so I don't know which console is really "better."

Any mentions of exclusives would be helpful, and possibly experiences with the "Red Ring of Death."

One more thing... *Cough* Does ther PS3 run backups?

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox 360 is better me having all 3 I prefer it over all my consoles. Ps3 doesn't run backups.

Oh Exclusives Halo 3/3 ODST, Mass effect 1&2, and Fable 2

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're not a total thief then the PS3 is it as it's not cracked. Going by a sheer game to game basis the PS3 for unique games has a stronger library with a good diversity to the genres supported. The down side if you're a legit user is the multiplayer aspect doesn't have a centralized server and there's no cross game chat (yet) like the 360. PS3 the companies put up and can kill a server at any time they like, and until they add that premium psn acct no cross game chat. That aside though if you're paying $60 for a game like Call of Duty MW2 on the PS3 you can use everything you get for your money, but with the 360 you got to pony up for network fees to do the online gaming which is bullcrap in this day in age. Beyond that if you could use or want an extra one, it works as a high end blu-ray movie player whereas 360 does dead hd-dvd with addon, and both can do Netflix streaming and DVDs.

It's really a hit and miss, but outside of those general comments your other basis will need to come off of added features the systems have, controller comfort, and UNIQUE game choices (like Uncharted vs Halo, etc.)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RRoD is a thing of the past (finally). It still happens, sure, but it really isn't very likely unless it's the owners fault.

360 has a better controller by far, and a bigger online community (if you don't mind paying hobo change to be able to buy XBLgold).

PS3 has a few more RPGs, but if you want it to play PS2/PS1 games..have fun. Most PS3 consoles, or none these days as I recall, are backwards compatible anymore...for whatever retarded reason sony could come up with.

With excluding everything but PS3/Wii and 360...
360 exclusives: ^ what Lolcat said, Alan Wake, Banjo Kazooie series, Crackdown, L4D 1 and 2, Magna Carta 2, Perfect Dark Zero, and lastly Tales of Vesperia, unless you can speak Japanese.

PS3 exclusives: InFamous, Little Big Planet, MAG, Demon's Souls (amazingly fun and hard game)

Probably more but I don't own a PS3 so I only know those good exclusives.
Here's a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video...y_PlayStation_3

Lastly, 360 is a social console, PS3 is more of a solo console. That's usually a pretty good way to decide what you want as well.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
If you're not a total thief then the PS3 is it as it's not cracked. Going by a sheer game to game basis the PS3 for unique games has a stronger library with a good diversity to the genres supported. The down side if you're a legit user is the multiplayer aspect doesn't have a centralized server and there's no cross game chat (yet) like the 360. PS3 the companies put up and can kill a server at any time they like, and until they add that premium psn acct no cross game chat. That aside though if you're paying $60 for a game like Call of Duty MW2 on the PS3 you can use everything you get for your money, but with the 360 you got to pony up for network fees to do the online gaming which is bullcrap in this day in age. Beyond that if you could use or want an extra one, it works as a high end blu-ray movie player whereas 360 does dead hd-dvd with addon, and both can do Netflix streaming and DVDs.

It's really a hit and miss, but outside of those general comments your other basis will need to come off of added features the systems have, controller comfort, and UNIQUE game choices (like Uncharted vs Halo, etc.)
The 360, although having way too many FPSes, also has a great library of other games. The Fable series is awesome, combining the Adventure, RPG and Sim genere to create a epic experience. Crackdown is a insanely fun co-op game, plus Crackdown 2 is coming on July 6th. The online service, although you have to pay for, is awesome, with full voice chat, a emense librarby of downloadable games, and a music and video marketplace, not to mention the excellent Dashboard interface. The controller is great too. Plus its $100 less than a PS3 assuming you buy the Arcade bundle. But its all up to you, just giving my opinion.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm the RROD thing isn't a thing of the past but it's less frequent so that's a bit misleading. You're either lying or unaware but ALL PS3s will run PS1 CDs stock, just only the old systems pre-original 80GB style will do PS2 games.

fudge: Yup that's a huge problem with the 360, fps heavy like mad, and while there are great games my point was there's less selection of games percentage wise is all, not that it doesn't have it. And the PS3 has full voice chat if you bother getting a usb mic for it too in the games that support it, no idea if they ever patched it as a general thing outside or lobbies or what not. Like the 360 PSN has a huge supply of downloadable games too (psn for psp, ps3, minis and ps1 games too) on top of demos, themes, music, full movies, and other stuff too so it's comparable to the 360 with that. And it's kind of debatable if the XMB bar or the dashboard is better, preference really, just as is the controller. Some like having an even setup that's comfy, others like the staggered setup of the dual sticks of the 360. But that is true, 360 if you get the bare bones unit does cost $100 less, and I think you get some little HDD with it now where in the past you didn't but could add it later.

In the end it's a trade off of the unique games, controller, and other features it does.

Finishoff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Judging from your post money would be a issue then I would just get a xbox 360. The xbox 360 can be flashed to play burned games or if you get a jtag xbox 360 you can play games straight from the USB drive just like the wii.

I have a PS3 and the good part about it is its free online service, which is a nice feature but it looks like your not much a FPS player and games that us the most out of the online features are FPS games and sports. Here's some notable titles that are exclusive: Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon Soul, Folklore and infamous (there's some more but these are what comes to mind.)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
RRoD is a thing of the past (finally). It still happens, sure, but it really isn't very likely unless it's the owners fault.

360 has a better controller by far, and a bigger online community (if you don't mind paying hobo change to be able to buy XBLgold).

PS3 has a few more RPGs, but if you want it to play PS2/PS1 games..have fun. Most PS3 consoles, or none these days as I recall, are backwards compatible anymore...for whatever retarded reason sony could come up with.

With excluding everything but PS3/Wii and 360...
360 exclusives: ^ what Lolcat said, Alan Wake, Banjo Kazooie series, Crackdown, L4D 1 and 2, Magna Carta 2, Perfect Dark Zero, and lastly Tales of Vesperia, unless you can speak Japanese.

PS3 exclusives: InFamous, Little Big Planet, MAG, Demon's Souls (amazingly fun and hard game)

Probably more but I don't own a PS3 so I only know those good exclusives.
Here's a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video...y_PlayStation_3

Lastly, 360 is a social console, PS3 is more of a solo console. That's usually a pretty good way to decide what you want as well.
rrod is still rampant, the whole entire system needs to be redesigned

I dont know how a controller with the worst d-pad in history of controllers can be called better

cost reduction was the reason, the emotion engine was eventually gotten rid of and emulated on the cell but the gs2 chip many people suspect was still there and they couldnt find a way to emulate it properly, ps1 games still work fine on any ps3 though, theres lots of rumors saying they are bring it back in a firmware update later this year, but just rumors nothing confirmed

Eski

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm more accustomed to the PS3 controller, since I already have a PS2. I've only played with a Xbox one time.

The ability to play backups is somewhat important to me, but the exclusives will probably make it or break it for me.

I do enjoy some FPS, but I'm not an avid fan of the genre. I like to consider myself an RPG fan, but I've been failing at finishing my games recently.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'd go for PS3.

I'm a huge fan of Little Big Planet and LBP2 is coming soon.

Also, a lot of good games are multi-console, so it's a win-win.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
PS3 has free PSN, where as Xbox Live you pay for.
PS3 has Blu-ray.
360 has some epic games themselves though.
But PS3 has Uncharted.
PS3 can't be hacked but 360 might lock you out of your Xbox if you hack.
PS3 has the dualshock, which IMO, best controller ever conceived
PS3 Has God of War.
360 has God of War clone (Dante's Inferno).
360 is getting Perfect Dark 64 remade with higher resolution and better graphics for Xbox Live.
360's newest/6th or 7th Halo game is getting Jet Packs.
PS3 has Little Big Planet.

If this was 4 or even 2 years ago, all my chips would be on 360. However last and this year the PS3 is looking better than ever. Its definitely turning my head more than the 360 has recently. And I can only imagine the future will be even better.

However. I personally prefer a PS2 over 360 AND PS3. And for too many reasons I can list. The main reson being that PS3 has stopped supporting backwards compatibility. So that sexy $300 PS3 Slim can't play my Final Fantasy XII or my Ratchet and Clanks. And say goodbye to my Amplitude.

Eski said:
I have a Wii, so I'm no graphic wh0re, nor do I solely play FPS.
PS2 + 250 GB Hard Drive + HD Loader = Drool.
If you're not a graphic whore, then all the more reason for a PS2.
Buy one for $80 and spend the $220 extra you would have spent on a PS3/360 on PS2 Network Adapter + Harddrive.
I strongly believe PS2 is still the greatest CD-based console of all time, despite it being a decade old this October.
Unless you're big on online play. My guess is you're not if you have a Wii.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer a PS3. I have both, and personally, I like my ps3 better. I can also confirm everything that Njrg has posted is correct, although, PS3 also have Dante's Inferno. PS3 has more games worth playing to me, and alot more are coming too. I know that you are not a graphics wh0re, but the PS3 has better graphics too, and you can get alot more out of it than an Xbox 360 nowadays. Some of the most hardcore of Xbox gamers are thinking of switching to a PS3 now.( and they play 24/7)

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS3, because lets face it, you likely will only think 5 games totally rock anyway, and if you actually have to buy them it won't be the end of the world really.

Remember each year has a birthday and Christmas. It's not like YOU will have to buy all your games eh.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I favour the PS3. Here's my logic:

PS3
Pros.
- free to play online. That's a big one for me. I'm not against the cost of Live, it's pretty reasonable really. Just the principle of paying when it's not truly necessary.
- built in blu-ray drive. Watched Avatar on Blu-ray last night. Singlehandedly justified buying PS3 and big HD TV. and Blu-rays are plummeting in price right now, there's no better time to start collecting.
- Rarely breaks down. My PS3 freezes from time to time (fixed by the old 'switch off and on again' method) but that's my moronic old man's handiwork, under the delusion he can fix anything when in fact he can barely tie his shoelaces.
- PS Store has some amazing stuff on there, notably some true PS1 Classics like FF7,8,9, Silent Hill, the Resident Evil Series, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, etc.
- Notable Exclusives: Uncharted 1+2, Warhawk, Killzone 2, Ratchet and Clank series, LittleBig Planet. I could go on but I'll let others take over.
- The PS Eye camera is steadily becoming more useful. I especially love the Mugshot feature of Burnout Paradise.
- The sheer brilliance of Flower. Nothing even comes close to how original that is.
- The Eyepet is hilarious, if little more than a glorified and ultimately pointless Tamagochi.

Cons
- A lot of shooting games, although it is starting to balance out with some decent RPG's and racers too. Distinct lack of decent flying games though.
- few 'kiddy' games, which can also be seen as a pro if like me the state of your average Wii store shelf makes you vomit blood.
- unlike the 360, there are only a few games that allow custom soundtracks (swapping the in-game music for stuff on the hard drive). The only one I know of is Burnout Paradise.
- Not backwards compatable with PS2 games, which seems pretty retarded to me. But then a PS2 should set you back all of a bag of Haribo these days anyway.
- No real 'icon' games. the 360 has Halo, the Wii has Mario and Zelda, the PS3 is kinda lacking in terms of a general mascot. Most say Nathan Drake from Uncharted, I disagree, he's not quite on par with Link IMHO.
- Six Axis controls can be a pain in the arse, but they are getting better. Thankfully for truly bad games like Lair which F'd up the SA controls somethin' bad, there's now an option to swicth them off. Or in Burnout Paradise, the option to switch them on. Try going full boost in an F1 car down the high street in first person mode with the six axis controls. That's always funny.

Pros
- Custom soundtracks on pretty much everything.
- well established online community.
- cheaper, as a general rule.
- Does have some of the best RPG's on the modern consoles, such as Lost Oddessy, Last Remnant, Blue Dragon, etc.
- Notable Exclusives: Mass Effect series (wasn't that supposed to be ported someday?) Halo, Fable, Gears of War.
- Gears of War 2, curb stomping noobs never gets old. Just don't pistol whip them. For some reason that's seen as unfair and triggers an hour long tirade of racist abuse.

Cons
- In my experience Live tends to be made up primarily of ignorant racist 12 year old noobs who only get a kill on Modern Warfare 2 once a week when they finally remember which way to hold the gun. The rest of the time they spend talking smack like they're God's Gift to Gaming. Then being shot in the face by real gamers. God, Live pisses me off.
- You have to pay for Live, which is fucking stupid since no other console makes such demands. The price is reasonable, the fact that it exists is not.
- Breaks down all the damn time. RROD is still a pretty major problem, especially for older systems. MS are good though, they will repair it free of charge and with considerable speed. They even sent UPS to my house to pick up the busted system when we explained the nearest UPS depot was over a hundred miles away.
- Noisy. The cooling fan makes one hell of a racket, playing late at night is damn near impossible if you have to turn the volume down because the fan smothers the sound.
- arguably the wankiest controller ever devised by man, except maybe the old Atari pads that broke before they left the factory.
- Halo is about 4 hours long and the multiplayer suffers from aforementioned 'Live Syndrome'.
- HUGE initial setup costs. While the system itself is cheaper, it's missing vital components right out of the box. IE: a wireless adapter to connect to the net. That set me back £60, and that was in the sales. Then another £40 for your Live subscription. Not to mention play and charge kits which are damn near essential, and this is before you buy any games.

Overall I give it to the PS3. It doesn't suffer from anywhere near as many tech problems, the exclusives are generally better save for Mass Effect, which as I understand is being ported eventually anyway, although news is hard to come by. It's free to play online, the community isn't as badly plagued by racist dumbasses that insult anything and everything, and it's generally the better system in my opinion. Perhaps I'm a little biased by my endless supply of frustrating experiences with faulty hardware or Live racism, but then I think that's fair. Hope that helps.

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
I love RPG's, and the 360 has a better selection so far this gen. BUT, the PS3 is a winner for me, purely for the fact that you get everything out the box, it doesn't use retarded proprietry connections for everything (all you need is a USB cable for the controllers, and power cable is a standard small kettle lead type, so if either of the ones you get in the box ever break, they're not gonna cost you 15-20 quid to replace.) and...

...the biggest deal breaker is the fact that if you buy a 360 it WILL break at some point. My sega master system is still going strong, and yet my 360 that i bought 5 months or so ago has a dying graphics card. It's not worth spending a few hundred on a faulty product. The PS3 is just a much better designed console. Everyone I know who has a 360 has had problems with it.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
arguably the wankiest controller ever devised by man, except maybe the old Atari pads that broke before they left the factory.

You accidentally put this PS3 con into the 360 con section.
360 has one of the best controllers ever created. It's like it was molded for a gamers hands. Not to mention it's near indestructible. I've had a 360 for many, many years...and have only had 1 controller go wonky because I used it for guitar hero and absolutely RAPED the triggers/bumpers.

Unlike the PS3 controller which was fine back when it was for the PS1, but now it's getting to feel incredibly dated and terrible.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Hells Malice said:
QUOTE said:
arguably the wankiest controller ever devised by man, except maybe the old Atari pads that broke before they left the factory.

You accidentally put this PS3 con into the 360 con section.
360 has one of the best controllers ever created. It's like it was molded for a gamers hands. Not to mention it's near indestructible. I've had a 360 for many, many years...and have only had 1 controller go wonky because I used it for guitar hero and absolutely RAPED the triggers/bumpers.

Unlike the PS3 controller which was fine back when it was for the PS1, but now it's getting to feel incredibly dated and terrible.

The reason I hate the 360 pad is because A) the analogue sticks not being symetrical F's me up, B) They are by no means indestructible, C) The play and charge kits overheat. It just doesn't work for me. Obviously opinions will differ, I'm merely giving my own. As for the PS3 pad being old, ever heard of the phrase 'if it aint broke dont fix it'?

Although I should add to the PS3 cons section that the upcoming PS Move looks like pair of glowing sex toys. And to the 360's cons that Natal's 'Milo' has wierdly paedophilic overtures.

googlebot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
njrg
Blaze163

the best explanation of that holly-war shit we see every day..

both consoles are great.. that's why i have both (and wii and ds and psp and whatever will be)

they both have nice pros and cons so this is finally defined by games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up