i got the minus 4 (-4) error using haxchi when i started it on my wii u, apparently i cant read the SD on my pc either

Robiniko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
It has been fine for a few years but then i swapped a nintendont save file, i even checked i could eject it properly and when i inserted it back into the Wii u i got a "-4" screen when i started haxchi, i inserted it back into my adapter and into the pc and its asking me to format the unit to read it (it also appears as RAW ), is there something i could do to get it to its previous state? or at the very very least is there something i can do to recover some of the files i dont remember what is important to keep in the sd card and im kinda scared to mess something with the hack

Last edited by Robiniko,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Corrupted... it happens (fukkin annoying I know, but 'it is what it is/shit happens' etc etc) I'm gonna assume you haven't done a backup (after various corrupted sd cards I'm pretty OCD for doing backups now!)
What hack are you using - CBHC or Tiramisu? Nothing of note required off the sdcard, so nothing essential has been lost.

There's a few file recovery programs out there, you could google for them if you wanted, but none are gonna magically repair the card to what it was, and 'probably' not worth the hassle: it's unfortunately better to 'take it up the arse' and start again. Using a new sd card (judging by how it corrupted/a few years old). And make a backup next time! ;)

Robiniko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Corrupted... it happens (fukkin annoying I know, but 'it is what it is/shit happens' etc etc) I'm gonna assume you haven't done a backup (after various corrupted sd cards I'm pretty OCD for doing backups now!)
What hack are you using - CBHC or Tiramisu? Nothing of note required off the sdcard, so nothing essential has been lost.

There's a few file recovery programs out there, you could google for them if you wanted, but none are gonna magically repair the card to what it was, and 'probably' not worth the hassle: it's unfortunately better to 'take it up the arse' and start again. Using a new sd card (judging by how it corrupted/a few years old). And make a backup next time! ;)
just haxchi, not coldboot, i got it from the spanish speaking scene so jic i'm asking them for the respective files and also about this issue
in case i cant get it to a previous state, and assuming this is more of an error of not handling it properly instead of the SD being dead itself, do i just format it the conventional way with guiformat or is there something i must do before to avoid a similar issue?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just haxchi, not coldboot, i got it from the spanish speaking scene so jic i'm asking them for the respective files and also about this issue
in case i cant get it to a previous state, and assuming this is more of an error of not handling it properly instead of the SD being dead itself, do i just format it the conventional way with guiformat or is there something i must do before to avoid a similar issue?
Reading your first post, it sounds like you ejected the card fine, so... you say you've had the card a few years, these things don't last forever... but yeah you might still be fine with it, give it another go! Personally I'd buy a replacement, but if that's not an option then yeah go for it..
(is the card Sandisk or Samsung? They're usually good, AmazonBasics are pretty good too... others... not so much, but mileage varies as you'd expect)

Guiformat definitely the way to go in my opinion. (And perhaps, while you're having to rebuild your card anyway, now is a good time to move on to Tiramisu anyway?)

Robiniko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Reading your first post, it sounds like you ejected the card fine, so... you say you've had the card a few years, these things don't last forever... but yeah you might still be fine with it, give it another go! Personally I'd buy a replacement, but if that's not an option then yeah go for it..
(is the card Sandisk or Samsung? They're usually good, AmazonBasics are pretty good too... others... not so much, but mileage varies as you'd expect)

Guiformat definitely the way to go in my opinion. (And perhaps, while you're having to rebuild your card anyway, now is a good time to move on to Tiramisu anyway?)
kingston class 10 32 gb canvas select, usually marketed towards photography
the card reader does seem to be dubious quality, already had issues with one because some contacts desoldered from the heat from my laptop (i bought it at the same time as my SD) so i bought another identical one which fit weird with the sd card, it's the onlt type in the vicinity and it worked fine so i kept using it
also the reader and sd card got a bit slow at recognition, like it took some time for windows to make it pop up, never figured if it was due to the sd or the reader

btw tiramisu wont clash with haxchi? im not looking into messing more and more with the files lol

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kingston class 10 32 gb canvas select, usually marketed towards photography
the card reader does seem to be dubious quality, already had issues with one because some contacts desoldered from the heat from my laptop (i bought it at the same time as my SD) so i bought another identical one which fit weird with the sd card, it's the onlt type in the vicinity and it worked fine so i kept using it
also the reader and sd card got a bit slow at recognition, like it took some time for windows to make it pop up, never figured if it was due to the sd or the reader

btw tiramisu wont clash with haxchi? im not looking into messing more and more with the files lol
Ahhh so you have an sd card reader.... that could've caused the issue: the slightest movement can corrupt using those.
I'd recommend using wiiu.hacks.guide, if you're considering moving to tiramisu (no it won't clash with haxchi)

Reactions: Robiniko

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto