Gaming I got a Wii the other day and I have quite a few questions

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
The Wii I got is a PAL system modded with Wiikey and updated to 1.9g(I think, it plays SMG), I don't know what the Wii firmware it has is though.
Guys, I have a few questions so stick with me here and help me understand some of these things better.

Firmware Updates:

- How do I find out what the latest Firmware update on my Wii is, not the modchip?
- If I update the Wii firmware what are the chances it'll mess up my Wii and render it unable to play BackUps? If this happens can it be fixed?
- So updating a PAL Wii with PAL Firmware is a-ok even though the Wii is modded?
- What do I do if my Wii gets bricked or semi-bricked?
- What exactly is semi-bricking and how bad is it?

The US SSBB on my PAL Wii?

- I want to get the US SSBB Backup, I understand that in order to work it needs the 1.9g WiiKey update and the 3.20E update to the Wii Firmware. Since this is a US game, please tell me what to do once I inset it in my Wii?
- Do I let it update my PAL Wii with the latest US 3.20E Firmware, if not what do I do? I'm NOT burning this game myself.

Hardware:
- Is there a VGA Cable/Box to connect the Wii to a Compuer Monitor? I play my 360 on my monitor and I want to do the same with my Wii
- I don't have wireless internet, I understand I have to get some Nintendo LAN thing, is going online with this as easy as plugging in a Crossover Cable, briding the connections in Windows and playing Online? (thats what I do with my 360)
- Do I need the Wii Zapper to play RE UC and Link's Crossbow Training?
- If the WiiKey team stop releasing updates and I'm in need of a new chip, am I going to have to buy a new Wii or can the WiiKey be removed and a new chip be installed in its place?

Guys thanks in advance, please answer all my questions it's going to help me a great deal.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Firmware Updates:
- It will tell you in the setting menu of the Wii. It'll say something like V3.1.
- As far as I know, no update has been known to prevent backups from playing.
- Yes.
- See next answer.
- Semi-bricking is when you use a NTSC-U or NTSC-J update on your PAL Wii. When you do this, you'll likely get double channels (2 weather channels, 2 photo channels, etc. only the ones that come with the Wii), that can't be deleted. I believe you can fix this when there's a new PAL update. When your Wii is semi-bricked you can still play games and backups.
Although, I've never had this problem, so someone else might know more about it.

The US SSBB on my PAL Wii?
- You do not need 1.9g. However, you do need to use Trucha and the Generic Patcher to modify the ISO before burning it to a DVD. This way you can remove the 001 error, the NTSC-U update, and anything else that may cause problems. This has been talked about all over the board, just look around.
Again, someone else might be able to provide a better answer for this, as I don't have a PAL Wii. Although I did have to remove the 001 error on my copy to get it working.

Hardware:
- I wouldn't know. I use component to my TV. Someone else can answer it.
- If that works with the 360, then it should work for your Wii (using the lan adapter). But I recommend you buy a router instead. Then you can have your PC, 360 and Wii connected at the same time. And if it's a wireless router, you won't need to buy a lan adapter. Another option would be to buy the wireless dongle that lets your Wii connect online through your computer (the dongle plugs into your PC's usb).
- No, not at all. It's just an optional piece of a plastic.
- If you, or someone you know, is experienced in soldering, then you can remove the chip and get a new one.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just checked, my Wii's firmware is 3.1E, is SSBB going to work on this? If not, how do I update the firmware now without going online? Can I download a firmware update and burn it to DVD or something?

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so SSBB isn't going to work on 3.1E?
What game has an update that would get my PAL Wii up to date so it can play Brawl? I'm also getting Endless Ocean tomorrow, does that have an update?

EDIT: How about this Ninja Reflex BS? That game is like 900MB, I could download that if it has an update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up