Hacking I found someone who could mod my WiiU for me, and...

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow so much to learn.. and I do have a Classic Controller that plugs into a Wii remote.
Also Majora's Mask DID Launch, I just couldn't get it to input anything in File 1.

Are you saying I can't get past a certain point launching from USB loader?

I would like to finally play this game, I never got the chance when I was working, too many hours at the job, I missed so much gaming.

I'm not 100% sure what it does when it fails. I think there was a list somewhere at one time with the shop titles that didn't work on emulated NAND but I don't remember where it is.
Majora's Mask, the Konami Rebirth games, Liight and Bonsai Barber don't work when loaded from USB for me. Liight and Bonsai crash during the opening screens.

I just installed all my WiiWare as channels and moved them to an SD card and play them from there.

The Zelda collector's edition GC disc isn't too hard to find and it has MM on it, too, but you need Devolution or Nintendont to run those.

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not 100% sure what it does when it fails. I think there was a list somewhere at one time with the shop titles that didn't work on emulated NAND but I don't remember where it is.
Majora's Mask, the Konami Rebirth games, Liight and Bonsai Barber don't work when loaded from USB for me. Liight and Bonsai crash during the opening screens.

I just installed all my WiiWare as channels and moved them to an SD card and play them from there.

The Zelda collector's edition GC disc isn't too hard to find and it has MM on it, too, but you need Devolution or Nintendont to run those.

SUCCESS, playing Majora's Mask NOW!!!
Thanks a bunch

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem I had with MM was trying to figure out how to save it... never did figure it out... maybe next time
Hey dude, sorry to read your history, but don't worry, pm me and i will help you with a lot of things.

Edit: i'll post here anyway, maybe someone else needs help with this.

First of all, you have a Wiimote + a Classic Controller? Awesome! now you can play Gamecube games in your Wii U.

Nintendont is a Gamecube interpreter for Wii and vWii (think of it like an Emulator, you don't have to know all the internal stuff atm)

To get it working you have to download this: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/blob/master/loader/loader.dol?raw=true
Then, rename the file to "boot.dol" and copy to your SDCard/USBDrive whatever thing that you use to load your homebrew apps.
it should look like this X:/apps/Nintendont/boot.dol (where X is your USBDrive letter)
done! you have Nintendont and you can play Gamecubes games using your Wiimote + Classic Controller and you know, there is a The Legend Of Zelda Collector's Edition with all the NES+N64 games (just use Google here)

There is a good tutorial to "install" the games and play them with Nintendont in the official Thread
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/ take a good read it's pretty easy, but if you don't understand something just post here and i'll help you.

Next parade, Emulators? Great idea! i would like to recommend Retroarch for this, it's a emulator Suite, you can run a great variety of games from different consoles without exiting the app. pretty cool.
Just take a read here http://wiibrew.org/wiki/RetroArch_Wii This one is easy too, but again if you need help, post here.

Last stop! Wii Games, well i see that you have CFG Loader as your backup launcher, well, i recommend using USB Loader GX for this, i love it. https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/ this is the official thread,

For Wii games you will need to create a folder called "WBFS" in your USBDrive/SDCard and paste them there, or you can use this little but great program to do the same job but in a easier way.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-backup-manager-for-windows.188295/ check here.

And after all this journey you will have your vWii fully charged to give you hours and hours of fun.

I hope that this can help you.

Reactions: JVC and Margen67

kiantsu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
The only problem I had with MM was trying to figure out how to save it... never did figure it out... maybe next time

Check your PM inbox, I'm sending you a walkthrough for Majora's Mask.

Saving is a bit tricky. First, you need to regain your human form, for which you'll need to get your Ocarina back. Once you've done this, there are two ways of saving:

1. Play the song of time (Yellow-Right, A, Yellow-Down, Yellow-Right, A, Yellow-Down). You'll go back to the Dawn of the First day, creating a hard save, but you will lose all your ammo and rupees.

2. Save at an owl-statue. Once you're a human (hylian) again, hit the owl statues with your sword and they'll spread their wings. Afterwards, "talking" to the statue will let you create a temporary savegame. What this means is that the game will go back to the start screen, and if you select the save file you'll go back to the owl statue. This only works once, if you close the game without saving, the following time you load your savegame you'll be back at the last time you played the song of time (step 1).

It's an amazing game, I hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: Margen67

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bdhobbs1 What's done is done. You did get ripped off, but now that you have a community to turn to for free advice/help, don't bother with paying others to softmod anything you own. I personally can no longer provide any advice on modding Nintendo consoles as I signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement as I was recently accepted into the official Wii U Developer's program, but there are plenty of others here that would be more than happy to help.

As far as non-Nintendo consoles go, is fair game for me, can mod those all day long and provide advice etc XD.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
The good thing about this community is that we don't want to do it all for you. We want to help you to do it for yourself. I came to this site not knowing my IOSes from my kernels. After everybodies feedback and all of the helpful guides, I feel like a pretty knowledgeable fellow. I even helped a few of my own friends to softmod their Wii U. We're here to help.

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Majora's Mask needs to be run as an actual Virtual Console channel (i.e.: Installed on vWii or installed then moved to SD.) There are about 5-10 Wii Shop titles that won't run when launched from a USB loader.
It doesn't work with the Wii-U Pro controller either. You have to have one of the controllers that plugs into a Wii remote.

Do you have a list of those games?
Or where I can find out what games need an actual VC channel on SD?
I got Majora's Mask to work that way, just curious as to what other N64 games that need to be played differently.

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let me set this up. First off, I know I am guilty of not educating myself more on this.

I have a white 8gb WiiU with a 128gb USB Stick for extra storage for downloading games and save data. The 8gb U was all I could afford at launch time, I am on disability.

I found someone on a facebook group who was selling a homebrewed WiiU and I asked him to mod my U for me.
After several emails and texts, I took it to his job, he works in IT in the same town I live in.

I took the following to him:
WiiU
Gamepad
Wii remote
Classic Controller
128gb USB stick* (by Silicon Power, ordered off Amazon months ago)
32gb SD Card
* - the 128gb USB stick had my club nintendo free game + 3 other games I got with my club nintendo points. It also had Zen Pinball and Star Wars pinball. And some saved data for each of those games. Which are no longer there because the 128gb stick is no longer formatted for my U.

2 hours later, he was done (and he wouldn't let me see how he did it)
He added the following to the Wii area
Homebrew channel (but no Wad manager)
Configurable USB loader channel
fceugx channel (NES games)
snes9xgx channel (SNES games)
WiiMC channel (no clue what that does)

And he added the following Wii ware games
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros 64
Mario Kart 64
Cruisin USA 64

RESULTS:
I lost some WiiU channels and save data that was on my 128gb USB stick (my fault on that one, I should have backed it up, or he should have asked me since it was obviously on there to begin with)
128gb USB stick is not compatible, it won't load the Wii games on it and it won't play the Gamecube games, says No Fat Device Found.
I have to transfer the games between the USB sticks, using my pc
So he had to end up giving me a 32gb USB stick that he had and I use that to transfer games to.
No Wad Manager in Homebrew (I would like channels for my games I frequently play, I've heard it's risky to do Wads though)
NES and SNES games work fine, no issues there
N64 games, I think he said that I need a USB adapter for my gamecube controller, I have the link to the website for it.
Gamecube games work from USB or SD card, however, not all games I copy and paste from USB stick to SD card appear on the SD card list when I load it in Nintendont.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE:
I would like a better way to manage this stuff, gets confusing quickly.
I am thinking I need more storage space on a compatible USB stick that's FAT formatted, to avoid the transfer issues via the PC.
And I want my WiiU stuff back, my existing 128gb stick could be used for that (I am sure I can get some of it back via eshop, but not my saved data)
And I would still have to switch USB sticks depending on what I wanted to play.

Thanks for listening
Hobbs (newbie to this stuff)
You just paid for something you could have did yourself, and WiiMC is an app that plays things like Music Files (MP3's), Videos, and YouTube (Internet Connection Required).

RiveaJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You just paid for something you could have did yourself, and WiiMC is an app that plays things like Music Files (MP3's), Videos, and YouTube (Internet Connection Required).

You're like the 30th person to have said this. Does anyone ever read past the first post?

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I could have done it myself, but I can't even figure out how to install Wad manager, so maybe I couldn't have done it myself.

And yes I have read the many stickies that are here, just so confusing to me.

bdhobbs1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only one issue with that remote, you are missing the analoge shoulder button for gamecube games like mario sunshine wheres its an essential feature to havr.

well I have the classic controller and I have been playing Sunshine

I just needed something to play the N64 games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...