Hacking I can only run homebrew apps

craniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I have an acekard 2 on a DS-lite, purchased from http://realhotstuff.com about a week ago.

I formatted my sdhc card with the Panasonic formatter (FAT)

Then I installed AKAIO 1.5.1 and used the wifi-updater to update the loader, cheats and everything else updatable.

I installed some homebrew apps and they mostly work fine.

When I install a commercial rom (for games my son owns) and try to run them, I just get the text "loading" that turns from blue to green, then it hangs, requiring a reboot.

At one point, shortly after I received it, I got it to load one rom, once, but have been unable to duplicate it.

Based on what I have read here about being corrupted .sav files, I think I may have gotten a bad card.

Is there anything else I should try before I return it?

Should I order an AceKard 2i (http://0shoppingzone.com only $13.50) or save my money for something more reliable?

Thank you, and apologies for my n00bness.

Netanel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you got the new Acekard 2.1 Batch.
I got this card about a week ago as well and I have the exact same issue as you, and were not the only ones.
Alot of threads here about this new card, and dealextreme forums are also seeing alot of these threads.

I suggest you download the official firmware Version 4.07a15 from - http://www.acekard.com/download.php
You should be able play older games on this version, but you wont be able to play the new games!
Just use this as a temporary solution, I read on this forum that perhaps a new firmware with a fix for this specific Acekard2.1 could be released.

Hope that helps.

craniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netanel said:
Sounds like you got the new Acekard 2.1 Batch.
I got this card about a week ago as well and I have the exact same issue as you, and were not the only ones.
Alot of threads here about this new card, and dealextreme forums are also seeing alot of these threads.

I suggest you download the official firmware Version 4.07a15 from - http://www.acekard.com/download.php
You should be able play older games on this version, but you wont be able to play the new games!
Just use this as a temporary solution, I read on this forum that perhaps a new firmware with a fix for this specific Acekard2.1 could be released.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'll try the official firmware--that may have been what I installed at first that enabled one of the older roms (math trainer) to work. Hopefully a fix will come out. Does anyone email AceKard about this stuff?

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be that these are those clones that Acekard.com was talking about...this might be a problem, I've never seen such a widespread Acekard problem...and it's not the real Acekards either, unless the latest batch was just a really, really bad batch...

craniac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netanel said:

This did the job (the older AKAIO firmware), thank you for your help. I reformatted the card before installing it, but couldn't find either FAT16 and FAT32 settings--the software indicated that it had been formatted as just FAT. He owns Advance Wars, Metroid Hunters and Bowser's Inside Story. I've gotten the first two to work and am looking for Bowser's to test it.

Netanel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not AKAIO, its an older version of the Official Acekard2 firmware.
I think you wont be able to play Bowsers on this firmware since the game is too new.

Im not sure about the whole FAT16/32 thing, I dont think it is related to the issues people are having with the new Acekard 2.1's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1