Hacking Question I am planning to use SX os to play only offline, should I still be worried?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So since you been helping me with some info on this and it does not let me post a new thread maybe you can help me. So I did purchase a code and activated it and also put my games on it which took a lot longer than I thought but now my switch is saying I have to update firmware to use my sd card? I think its cause its exFat and its 64 gb. Do you or anyone who reads this have any recommendation on what I should do now? I am on Firmware 4.01.....
Didn't see this coming..
Do this, it won't update to 5.10, it will only install a "sub-update" so you can use Exfat. Alternatively there is a tutorial where you have to dump and patch your NAND manually.
Or you format to FAT32 and split the games, and don't get the Exfat update at all, should work also.

Mintree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do this, it won't update to 5.10, it will only install a "sub-update" so you can use Exfat. Alternatively there is a tutorial where you have to dump and patch your NAND manually.
Or you format to FAT32 and split the games, and don't get the Exfat update at all, should work also.
Well so does this mean I have to go online now to update? I think I was suppose to avoid going online at all after using SX OS.
Could you elaborate more on the other options? I am not sure what you mean by the tutorial on dump and patching my NAND or how can I split the games into smaller files. I do understand that I could format the card to FAT32 but how does splitting game files work and would it work fine with SX OS?

Mintree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a tutorial on how to do that:
https://hackinformer.com/2018/05/24...he-exfat-update-without-updating-your-switch/

Honestly, I'd just accept the update.
I think I could do the tutorial but it also states that it could flag my switch for a ban since it was updated to the exfat without doing it officially....

Do you think its best if I just remove everything and boot into OFW and do that patch? I was really trying to avoid online at all but...right now I can't play anything with it so.....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What I would do ... is boot to OFW and do that mini SDXC update.
Afterwards revert back to CFW and stay offline as you planned.
Yeah...I'm thinking that would be the best option just didn't see this coming and wanted to avoid online even while on OFW. But you think basically if I boot into OFW and go online there shouldn't be a problem?

Welll uh... I did the update that it told me to do and it just updated it to 5.10

Last edited by Mintree,

Mintree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah this is a non game update. It's just for the SD functionality. It will not force you to fw update and so on.
Just do this update and revert back to your offline cfw solution afterwards.
I would not go the editing nand route for it.
Well I got a pop up saying it told me to update for the sd card use, I connected to internet and updated and its on 5.10 so.... uh so yeah

MHDestination

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nah this is a non game update. It's just for the SD functionality. It will not force you to fw update and so on.
Just do this update and revert back to your offline cfw solution afterwards.
I would not go the editing nand route for it.

It is a seperate update.

BUT: It will always get bundled with the latest FW update.

Reactions: PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
BUT: It will always get bundled with the latest FW update.
Ah well goes to show, that is something I did not know. Thanks for clearing that up. Noted for the future.

Well I got a pop up saying it told me to update for the sd card use, I connected to internet and updated and its on 5.10 so.... uh so yeah
5.1 should not be a problem though ... i am running it myself as well.
As you did this through OFW, it still should not be a real issue for your plans for CFW usage.

Mintree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah well goes to show, that is something I did not know. Thanks for clearing that up. Noted for the future.

5.1 should not be a problem though ... i am running it myself as well.
As you did this through OFW, it still should not be a real issue for your plans for CFW usage.

Yeah and this was probably the only way I would have done it anyhow. Thanks for the help again and everyone else who gave me info.

Fred Molyneux

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So you think going online on OFW while have used SX OS is still safe? Not that necessarily need to but I do want to avoid getting banned for future uses of the switch but as for right now, I just wanted to try some single player games on the switch so being offline is okay for me.
from what i saw and discussed with other users, yes. Again, it seems all the ban issues are from people who used layeredfs. I guess it just ended up with SX OS in the topic because of haters. It is hard to know facts right now because of all the pro and anti TX.

lostalice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly, i don't play online, i stay offline except when i update all my games (backups, not original) and I never had any issue. and after speaking to several other users, everyone says the same, they are all fine.
Bans seems to be 100% related to LayeredFS. Do not install it ever, and you will be safe.

Ok I've messed around with LaayeredFS. What are some steps i should take before going back online? or stay loffliunei until a solution is found. I plan on getting sx osand dont really care about online. but i would still like to buy from the eshop..

anybody got any idea or suggestions im open

Addconsult

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
D

DeletedMember411838

from what i saw and discussed with other users, yes. Again, it seems all the ban issues are from people who used layeredfs. I guess it just ended up with SX OS in the topic because of haters. It is hard to know facts right now because of all the pro and anti TX.

Nope, there has been users banned that we're solely SX OS users.

Just not as many yet. However if you look at the sales of SX, they are very low in contrast to those that have used LayeredFS for free likely. This is why we are seeing many more LayeredFS bans.

D

DeletedMember411838

Even just homebrew

That's true.

Warning Opinions follow:

Nintendo's ban system is either not well optimized, or Nintendo is forcing a slow ban wave to spook people.

Think about it, Nintendo wants you to pay 20 for online so they don't want to ban you. They may just be putting out the fear tactics for now, and showing some of their cards to wake people up, without hitting people that may stop what they are doing and buy games/online.

That would also explain why we have only seen a few of every different use case. Nintendo could be saying, look we can detect all of this so stahp it or get banned.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw