Hacking Hykem's 5.5 iosu Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadek

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I still can't understand how making code harder to read will slow down piracy....

I don't think hykem is obfuscating the code to slow down piracy. He's doing it to make it harder to debug for Nintendo. Which means it will be harder for them to patch it.
Another good reason to do it is prevent other hackers to use same bug. And sell it as their own exploit. I may be wrong though.

Dylon99

Lord of Dank
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think hykem is obfuscating the code to slow down piracy. He's doing it to make it harder to debug for Nintendo. Which means it will be harder for them to patch it.
Another good reason to do it is prevent other hackers to use same bug. And sell it as their own exploit. I may be wrong though.
Nintendo will deobfuscate in no time, tjey have some good developers over there, might be piracy, might be for hindering Nintendo. We don't know.

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody really know what this is going to be able to do when it does get released?
It sounds like the main delay is to make sure it can't be used to run loadiine or downgrade a console from 5.5.1 to 5.3.2

I'm just wondering if all of these people waiting for this to come out are going to be in for a shock...
I'm really hoping I don't have to make a trip to find an un-updated Wii U. Ugh.

Being able to downgrade to 5.3.2 is the best thing possible, since the most hacks made have been made for that version, and it seems that more things would come out, if it is easier to make them for that firmware.

I was really wanting to have a little fun and try coding for a new system, but if what you said is true, then I will find an older Wii U that hasn't hit the internet, so I have something that I can actually play around with.

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Which means it will be harder for them to patch it.
This is something I just don't get it. No matter how hard he tries, Nintendo will always have double/triple the resources he has, and they WILL PATCH IT. And what does it matter if they patch it anyways? As long as it works for at least one version, then we will always have that entry point to take advantage.

Think about iPhone jailbreaks, they NEVER aim to keep it alive for multiple versions. It's always understood that once they release their method, it's going to get patched almost immediately, CERTAINLY by the next version. But it doesn't matter, because it will always work on the version for which it was released for.

Even other devs here understand it, why is why they call it "burning" an exploit. It's out and Nintendo will fix it.

Kudos to Hykem for trying I guess, I'm certainly no expert and the guy is a legend and a genius compared to me, but something just doesn't smell right here. There will be no stopping Nintendo from patching his exploit, no matter what he does. I feel like he's wasting a ton of energy/time here.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I still can't understand how making code harder to read will slow down piracy....

Agreed. I mean does he think devs that want to enable piracy aren't as talented as non piracy supporting devs or something? Very odd.
Obfuscation is for Nintendo.
Reverse engineering the source code for the actual exploit makes it easier to patch. It shouldn't affect the apps homebrewers make, just the entrypoint. He essentially doesn't want Ninty pulling a Yifan and finding out exactly how it works, because this is a pretty big deal. The slower they are to patch it, the more time it has to get out into the public and that one guy who goes "oops i updatd srry"
can't read it? -> can't understand -> can't patch.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not releasing anything either but that's because I can't code my way out of a cerealbox and I don't know anything (about something that can be released) :rofl2:

You're going about it all wrong. You have to find the secret decoder ring at the bottom of the cereal box. Then you can code your way out of it.

codychaosx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hykem is taking care of the rest of the OTP now (if you take a look at the wiki page, most of it is still undocumented), and he has proceeded to reverse engineer the amiibo-related stuff to find the "shared keys" between WII U and 3DS
So he's not working on the iosu stuff so he can work on amiibo stuff or did I totally misunderstand you? :P

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
hykem is taking care of the rest of the OTP now (if you take a look at the wiki page, most of it is still undocumented), and he has proceeded to reverse engineer the amiibo-related stuff to find the "shared keys" between WII U and 3DS
I'm totally behind this, Nintendo become just greedy with this amiibo stuff.

didaho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i think hykem is waiting nintendo fix the exploit in future updates. If nintendo doesn't know where is the problem, there is no reason to show it them.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
It's actually pretty interesting that he's working on the NFC module, opens the door for NFC reading/writing.

Would be hilarious if he find a way to hack Wii U by placing an amiibo in the gamepad, probably not happen :P

Last edited by OriginalHamster,
Reactions: Doug3455

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
i think hykem is waiting nintendo fix the exploit in future updates. If nintendo doesn't know where is the problem, there is no reason to show it them.
Shame to burn that stagefright exploit though, it's really nice. Hope he has a good replacement.

Jay Griggs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought mine the first month and it sat. I updated last month after reading this thread with the sonic game so now it sits on 4.1.0. Its nice to know this version should be supported.:)

gamer4lif3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm so if this zecoxao guy is speaking truth I think it's going to be very long before this is released seems he will just keep adding things to work on now like this ambiio stuff.

5.3.2=master race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff